Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #21
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I also found the post where I forgot the chocks....

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=15009

Someday I'll have to set up a page with all these plunders listed.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #22
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
342pht, same issue about 2 months after we got ours. Always very careful to double check everything. Then it happened.. crunch went the door. Very easy to repair, but the feeling when it happens, ouch!

Tim

06 F350 4wd PSD Crew
06 Mountianeer 34PHT
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:47 PM   #23
pard
Established Member

M.O.C. #5464
tHIS HAPPENED TO US AT THE DEALERSHIP. THEY WERE DOING THE PDI AND STARTED TO PUT THE SLIDES OUT WHEN WE HEARD THE CRUNCHING NOISE. THE DRAWER UNDER THE REFRIGERATOR HAD SLID OUT AND GOT CAUGHT IN THE SLIDE. THEY GOT A SERVICEMAN TO FIX THE MOLDING AND THE DRAWER FRONT. DIDN'T LEAVE ANY MARKS OR SCRATHES, BUT IT SURE MADE ME AWARE TO CHECK THAT DRAWER BEFORE PUTTING OUT THE SLIDE.
pard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:25 PM   #24
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Well, if I have too, I also had an unhitching problem. Just Monday, I took my 5er to the dealer to have them install slide toppers. Couldn't get unhitched. Must have worked on it for 20 minutes...trying to look cool and like I had to make those 50 trips to the hitch to see why it wouldn't release. Finally, I went in and asked the service writer for help and he sent out the service manager...I think they sold tickets. In my defense, the service manager had to get a crow bar to pry out the hitch bar. It didn't stop there though. I went in today to pick up the 5er and everything was well done. Hooked up, no problem. Was proud of myself on the way home and how cool the toppers would be and I happened to glance in my curbside mirror on a corner just in time to NOT hit the car that was sitting there. I hadn't gone as wide as I thought I had. I tell you, you must always be on the watch...I won't forget that for a long time.

Mike

F350 7.3L LB
2003 3575RL
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:08 AM   #25
klee1516

M.O.C. #2372
Have to add our "little" mistakes too. Forgot to check that the fridge door was locked shut before our first trip in our other TT and opened the trailer door to find the fridge door and contents all over the floor. What a mess. Also did the pulling the trim off the slide when the cabinet door came open after we had picked up our new 3400. But the scariest was not even our doing. We were camped (this was in our old TT) and sitting outside enjoying the evening when a Class A with a toad pulled in. The campground was on a hillside and the Class A was up the hill and across the street. When he released his car, it started rolling down the hill right at our trailer. He ran after it and grabbed the front bumper and it kept coming dragging him along. Another man who had been walking up the street, ran up and jumped behind the car and tried to push it to a stop! My husband & I are yelling at them to just let it go and get out of the way but they didn't. Hubby is now also sprinting over to grab the front bumper. The car clipped the end of a picnic table and pushed it along too until the table caught the back fold down steps of our trailer and all came to a stop with the man in back fitting in nicely in a space between the car, the table and our camper. He could so easily have fallen under that car or been squished against our camper. But no one was hurt. The elderly man who was still clinging to the front of his car was so upset, I feared he would have a heart attack. He said that was the first time in 30 years of camping that he had ever forgotten to set the brake before releasing his toad. Our camper only had slightly dented steps and a red mark along the side from the picnic table. The fact that no one was hurt in what could have been a catasrophe puts everything in perspective.
Kim L
klee1516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:18 AM   #26
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Welcome to the forum.
We have all done things that we want to forget (because we forgot something).
Almost all problems with the hitch are because of forward tension on the hitch.
I put down my front RV legs releasing the down pressure on the TV, put the transmission in neutral and the hitch usually comes open with no problems.
Again welcome to the forum and ask anything you need to know about. There are no dumb questions. (I've already asked them).

Mountaineer 348RLS
Dodge 3500 Cummings dually
Reese 16K Hitch
An Okie caught in Texas
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:25 AM   #27
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Just a short note to add perspective.
The most highly trained people in the world are astronauts, who practice every maneuver and action hundreds of times. They do, however, use checklists for everything, including even going to the bathroom (note, Carol ).
If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.
(Now, if I can just remember where I put the checklists.)
Larry

Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:08 AM   #28
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Larry,

WHICH Carol ya chattin to???

I'm gonna guess me, since I am the one with the double duty broken bath door knob. (Which by the way has been replaced by a brand new heavier duty knob! NO more OEM door knobs for us! AND, I still ain't closing that door, NEVER!)

So, I don't need a check list for the potty room, cept maybe I should do a piece of cross stitch and frame it and mount it on the outside of the door

hmmm, something like: ENTER AND CLOSE DOOR AT YOUR OWN RISK (Should I put yorkies or flowers on it, such a hard decision)

then for the inside, something like: YOU FOOL, YOU CLOSED THE DOOR!!! (better put skull and cross bones on that one!)

Carol

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #29
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
LOL! Carol your humor brings such joy to my day, dont ever lose that.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #30
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
When someone (usually me the male half) gets involved in the wrong half of the checklist interesting things can happen. If you have never witnessed an exploding coffee table try leaving one in between 2 slides when they come in - quite an explosion, totally impossible to reconstruct, so back to Camping World again.

DiananColin
2005 3400RL
2004 Ram 3500 Quad
Laramie Turbo Diesel.

Whitby, Ontario. Canada
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 03:41 AM   #31
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
I don't know which thread to add this to, so will go with this one, but I have to say I haven't laughed so hard so early in a morning - I've had to pat my dog on the head for getting me up at 3:00 am to go out (to sit and bark at the geese overhead)instead of booting him in the rear for doing so, since I've spent 3 hours just reading this n that on the MOC...thanks Steve for finding the earlier thread on screwups. I'm not even going to mention ours but they are the same as some others I've read about in these two threads, take your pick - they have been costly, and like others have said, there's that wonderful check list posted inside the laundry room door, and the best thing, check the slides as they are going out and in, have someone watch, and I think the main rule DON'T BE IN A HURRY AT ANYTIME! It just never pays in the long run. And I am getting vibes from several of you - don't visit while preparing to depart or as you are setting up your 5vr.

Thanks for the laughs, I'm sure we'll have a new one for you all some day, until then.....

Chaser
Mike & Evy Orlob
Retired, Rvers, Racefans
3400/Dodge 3500
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote