Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2006, 03:26 AM   #41
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Eventually my mind would ignore the black handles and hinges but I don't know if I'll ever get used to a black shower frame. I can hope this is a short term change and by the time ours comes off the line they've come to their senses and ran out of the black ones. Somehow I don't think that is going to happen. I think I' going to call Customer Service and find out if this is just temporary or what.

On edit... Just got off the phone with Keystone. Customer Service found someone for me to talk to who would know or could get an answer. I was on hold while he did some checking but he came back and said the black is the new look they are moving to for late 2007 and 2008 models. I guess they went ahead and made the move now. We swapped out the hinges on certain kitchen cabinets in our current Montana for spring-loaded hinges that will stay open when you open them. I was able to get a very close match with the original hinges. I have doubts whether I can match the black ones. I asked the rep to put me on record as not being happy about the change. I was pleased with his attitude but the end result is we'll have to live with it or figure out how to change out the shower stall.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:28 AM   #42
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Here are some pics of the inside of our 3400. The "Antique (Burnished?) Dark (not really black)" is really nice. Rich spotted it immediately. I would never have known the difference. I think I like it better than the standard gold.

Also the pull out sicket faucet and new dish soap dispenser, Rich mentioned he did not have either. Cheryl loves both. Rich also said our shower drain was different from his - I will post a pic.

Desk, Ent Ctr, Fireplace:
http://i4.tinypic.com/23iywhu.jpg

Couch:
http://i1.tinypic.com/23iz036.jpg

Dining area:
http://i1.tinypic.com/23iz2td.jpg

Kitchen:
http://i6.tinypic.com/23izc5d.jpg

Living Room 1:
http://i4.tinypic.com/23j341y.jpg

Living Room 2:
http://i5.tinypic.com/23j3ivr.jpg

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2002 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Ext Cab, LB, SLE (w/ full power/elect options)
Reese 16K Hitch, Draw Tite Brake Controller (Activator II)
Full undercoating, Rhino Spray-In Liner
2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
2nd A/C, Fireplace, Dual Pane Windows, Central Vac
WE'RE HOME!

Don't EVER give up on your Dream.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:39 AM   #43
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
The black shower frame seems nice to me. Gold would have been out of place with all the other bedroom trim:

Both light fixtures over the bed, the dresser lamp, and the vanity faucet are all this new "Dark" Antique (I just really can't bring myself to call these fixtures "black"). The shower frame, though, is definitely black, but close enough so it doesn't look out of place ("clash"?) with the other fixtures and the furniture hardware in the BR.

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
WE'RE HOME!

Old 08-03-2006, 07:46 AM   #44
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
thanks for the photos! The dark handles look ok to me.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:49 AM   #45
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Another subject:

The dual pane windows. Cheryl was just outside the back picture window and she actually had to bang on the window to get my attention. I couldn't hear her calling for me standing outside the Montana.

Also, these dual pane windows may have negated the need for the 2nd A/C. During our heat wave here these past few days (better now), temps were right at 100 with the heat index at 115 (w/ 75% humidity). At 30 amps, I can't run the 2nd A/C anyway, but I put my hand on the inside glas on the picture window and I was amazed that it was actually cool. These things are great thermal barriers. I actually had to turn my A/C down (increase the temp) a few times as we about froze ourselves out (and I like cold) in the middle of the extreme heat.

My only thought, though, is that if something ever happened to the main A/C, I would always have a backup. This past week would have forced us into a hotel room (kids are out of the question - no explanation needed), as the 5ver would have been unliveable w/o A/C. These poor tent and popup campers were really suffering around here.

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
WE'RE HOME!

Old 08-03-2006, 07:58 AM   #46
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

thanks for the photos! The dark handles look ok to me.
Al, the "Burnished Black" (Cheryl has just corrected me) really is a perfect match for the borders (also her words).

It seems to me that gold really would look out of place with this trim. I know some (Driftwoodgal?) may have this combination (w/ Venetian Gold) and I would be curious as to her/their impressions.

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
WE'RE HOME!

Old 08-03-2006, 08:02 AM   #47
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
At our previous stickbuilt home, we had a neighbor (female) who commented how depressing our home exterior looked (earthtone bricks, trimmed in dark brown, tinted windows, with a brown roof) - kinda hurt our feelings!! Then we were in her home one day and she showed us their master bedroom - black bedspread, black throw pillows, black drapery, black everywhere - even a black lampshade! Just goes to show you that beauty (or non-beauty) is in the eyes (and mind) of the beholder - different strokes for different folks, etc.

1999 F250 SD/SC V-10 Lariat
2000 Montana Mountaineer TT 305FKS
'92 GMC Conversion Van - 350TBI
Weatherford, TX
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:54 AM   #48
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, thanks for the pictures. I didn't mean to offend you with my comments about the hardware color. I'll probably/hopefully get used to it and grow to like it when I get over the initial shock. The rig we were in yesterday had no power so maybe in better light I'll like it better. Or at least get used to it. Ours will have the same Venetian Gold color scheme as yours.

If I recall, Chaser's new 3400 with the Venetian Gold has the antique brass fixtures and I thought it looks great. That's what I'd prefer to have on ours but it sounds like if I want that I'll have to do it myself. I agree about not wanting to mix the antique brass with that black shower frame, though.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #49
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I never thought that, Steve. Hope I didn't give that impression. It would be nice if we could see the different hardware colors in a side by side comparison. And then make a choice. Doesn't sound like we will get that option, though, if Keystone has made up it's mind for a long term change (although, I realize this decision could change w/o notice).

Steve, I take it that Keystone is going with this "burnished black" hardware in ALL there decor schemes, then?

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
WE'RE HOME!

Old 08-03-2006, 04:24 PM   #50
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Minor malfunction - on a new thread...

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
WE'RE HOME!

Old 08-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #51
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Dave,

Our Monty is the Sapphire with the Antique Gold. I posted that I had seen the Venitian Gold and liked the couch, but didn't like the raised fabric on the recliners. It was the texture of the material more than anything, of course the Sapphire has a slicker material on the recliners than the Desert Sun has. I liked the fabric on the recliners in the Desert Sun model better than our recliners. If I could pick and choose I would take different things from different color schemes. We are happy with ours, I will be happier when I can spend more time in it

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:29 PM   #52
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We absolutely love ours, Colleen. It is truly a Dream come true for us.

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
WE'RE HOME!

Old 08-04-2006, 02:47 AM   #53
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Dave,

Did you get a chance to weigh yours empty? I will try to get Bob to weighs ours somewhere when we take it in to get our replacement Apollo oven. Have you had any problems with yours? Since Cheryl loves to cook I would love to hear her tips about using the blasted thing once she gets used to using it.

So glad you both love your Monty. I hope you get to spend lots of time with your families.....or should I say as much time as you want to spend with your families.

Colleen
Old 08-04-2006, 05:07 AM   #54
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Colleen, I did not get a chance to weigh our empty. We were in a rush to get finished with our 7 hr drive from the dealership before dark. Did not think it wise to attempt my very first setup in the dark. I will try to get a weight in the next week or two, but it will not be empty now, unfortunately.

On the 1/2 time oven - I have started another post under "Montana Problems...". I am sure we will like this oven - once we replace this fried one...

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
WE'RE HOME!

Old 08-04-2006, 03:52 PM   #55
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
They will be installing a new oven in ours next week. Tell Cheryl we both are batting 1000

Colleen
Old 08-04-2006, 04:03 PM   #56
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
What happened to yours?

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
WE'RE HOME!

Old 08-04-2006, 05:36 PM   #57
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
I tried cooking some rather large baked potatoes in it. I tried using the 1/2 time oven first thinking that it would cook them in half the time as a normal oven would. Thirty minutes into the cooking they were hard as rocks. I then pulled out the instruction manual and tried them on the convection oven. Again using the metal grill. Another 30 to 45 minutes goes by and they still are hard as a rock. I then pull out the metal grill and try them on the microwave setting. I don't remember how long I set it for as the steaks were done and eaten and I just pressed a number and then went back outside to visit our friends that we were camping with. When we came back into go to bed I checked the microwave and they were done and looked like prunes. I started laughing and told Bob well at least I got them done. The next morning I tried making biscuits and the oven wouldn't work. It would try to heat but the fan wouldn't come on. The microwave mode wouldn't work at all. I cut up the potatoes and we had hash browns on the grill outside. After getting home Bob looked at the oven and the plastic gasket inside of the door had a crack in it. I am not sure if it was there to begin with or if trying to cook the potatoes forever did it. I contacted our dealer and they ordered an new oven for us without any questions. I am not sure if this is something that has happened before and so they aren't questioning the problem, or if Keystone is just really great about fixing things that aren't right. I am having them look at some other things that we have found wrong and they seem ok with all of our concerns.

I guess I will start a topic about who knows how to use the oven. LOL
This questions may not get any responses

Colleen
Old 08-05-2006, 02:06 AM   #58
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
How about "Who DOESN'T know how to operate the 1/2 Oven"? Many responses maybe... and WHY do we need the metal tray? No explanantion as to it exact purpose (and more importantly - as to it's consequences if not used) in the manual.

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
WE'RE HOME!

Old 08-05-2006, 04:11 AM   #59
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Do any of the manuals say that if you do this you won't be happy with the results? I read in the manual that you do have to use the metal tray when cooking except in the microwave mode. I don't remember reading where it would damage it if you didn't. I guess I need to go back and reread.

I am interested in who uses this oven and how successful they are when cooking in them. If this thing is a piece of junk I would rather just have a microwave oven instead.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:47 AM   #60
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I will have Helen(snowhawk) get on here and give her opinion.She has used it with no problem.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote