Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2006, 01:40 PM   #1
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Question for Duramax owners.

My Chev with the Duramax engine had an oil change late in the fall before I put away the Montana for the winter. I use the truck once a month or so just to keep it going throught the winter. We haven't got our Montana out of mothballs yet so I still don't use the truck much right now but last weekend when we took it to town the check engine light came on. It's running fine, has lots of oil and I'd love to bring it to the dealer but right now I'd have to take a day off work to do so. On my old truck, when this light came on, I paniced and took it in to the dealer, only to find out that the light was programmed to come on at certain intervals to get you to bring it in for service. Does anyone know what the story is with the Duramax? We have about 64k miles on the truck now. Should I wait until my next day off when the dealer is open?

snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 01:52 PM   #2
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
We havent had the light com on in ours yet, but if the light in my Expedition is any indication, they signify nothing, and sometimes just come on for the halibut..
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 01:59 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I could be wrong but I believe it comes on after a certain amount of time passes not just when the odometer says it's time for a change. I believe the intervals are 10,000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first. Me personally, As there are so few miles on the oil I would have the dealer reset the light and forget it.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Is it check engine, or oil change? There is some computer controlled gizmo that tells you when an oil change is needed based on your driving history (not just distance). If it is the oil light, it can be re-set by pressing the gas pedal 5 times in 5 seconds with key on (or something like that ...beter check the book to be sure). Dealer should have re-set when they changed the oil, but they almost always forget, at the ones I have gone to.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:46 PM   #5
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I just had mine serviced for the same thing along with the oil change. there was a recall they had out for something(sorry I can't remember what)It may have been for the fuel filter....either way it got fixed. mine is a 2002. It doesn't hurt to ask if there are any recalls on your truck. They should be able to tell you that over the phone.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:41 AM   #6
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Snowbunny;

If there is a problem, your truck's computer should have set a code.

This might be one option. Some auto parts stores will check you computer codes for you. That might be something you can have done on the way to or from work.

Let us know what you find out.

Gary
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:12 AM   #7
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Jim: Not sure what year your truck is but mine is a 2003. I reset the oil % indicator by pressing the arrow button on the steering wheel while the oil % indicator is showing. It then says oil indictor reset and it shows 100% again. I know that my truck has had the service engine light come on a couple of times. Once it was due to the injectors being screwed and I had to have them replaced and the other time was shortly after I filled the truck with diesel. I read the manual and it states that the tank cap might not be tight. The next time I stopped I undid the tank cap and retighted it. The light didn't come back on. Might have been a fluke, but it worked.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:31 PM   #8
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
check engine or service engine lite?? in your owners manual it will tell how to reset that lite by turning key to on and pressing the gas pedle 3 or 5 times to reset to next oil change.
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:29 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

If you have Onstar, hit your button and ask them to run a diagnostic check on your truck. I had that service engine light come on once, Onstar said nothing was wrong and would be safe to drive until I could get it brought to dealership. Dealer hooked it up to the computer and could not find anything. Have not had the light come on since or before that one time, at the time the truck had 4,700 miles on it. There is 51,163 as of today.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:05 AM   #10
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Thanks for the advice. I'll try resetting th elight next time I am over there.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:34 AM   #11
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
as mentioned I would check the gas cap to make sure it is tight. on GM gas vehicles the service engine light comes on if the cap doesn't get tight (clicks)and it takes several cycles of on/off to make light go off. don't know if it is the same for the diesels but it may be.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote