Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2006, 05:54 PM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, I agree most tire problems are caused by the heat generated by pressure being too low but we had some blowouts where just a few miles back the pressure was checked and was at 80 psi. Possibly I picked up a nail and it lost pressure, overheated, went flat, and was shredded by running flat. I never knew I had a flat until I was told by someone. Except the last time when we actually heard the tire pop.

I have a laser temp gauge and whenever we stop I make the rounds with that gauge. The tires are not running hot. Rarely do I see temperatures over about 90 with 110 being the highest I've seen even in the heat of summer. That's on the rubber. My problems were with Goodyear Marathon trailer tires. After all the problems we've had with them my solution was to dump them for a set of BF Goodrich Commercial T/A. Those tires now have 2,200 miles on them without a whimper. It will be a year or so before I'm ready to say it was a good move.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:49 PM   #22
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Steve, I had Goodyear Marathons on my 95 Kit Fiver and they never failed me but I had steel wires coming out of the rubber on one of them. I am on the road now with my Missions and so far so good in about 1500 miles. I did balance them and they needed it badly. So far things stay put better in this Montana than any other unit I have owned ......four other Fivers and five slide in campers.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #23
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We run ours at the specified 80 psi year round, towing or empty. I just can't see going to all the extra effort to lower and raise the pressure. We get excellent wear on our tires. Works for me.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote