Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2005, 04:08 AM   #21
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
I am so glad that I (Jan) grew up with mom and dad saying, "if you can't pay cash for it, you don't need it". I learned how the egg and cream money was all we had for groceries each week, certainly no luxuries were bought. I look back and know how poor we were but we all survived. That has beeen good advice during our lives--only the house and car had loans--have never paid interest on credit cards--that really gets you into trouble real fast.

jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:05 AM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mel, at one time we financed through Bank of America Specialty Finance so I know they did RV loans at that time at least. I think the Specialty Finance is a separate subsidiary so the bank people might not know about it. We financed through the dealer at that time.

Talking about credit reports. I did the free credit reports recently and paid to get our credit score at one of them. I was very pleased with the number. Then I went to another of the credit agencies for a free report. It also was excellent (didn't pay for the number, though) but there was a comment about one possible bad report. I checked into that and it said we had a Jones Store bill that had been written off the prior month.

Now, get this. In that week's mail we got a letter from a collection agency! I called to find out what this was about and after some discussion we figured out the problem. I have since written to the CEO of May Company (Jones Store owner) but haven't heard back yet.

Last November while visiting in Topeka we took advantage of a special discount available only when using the Jones Store card. We didn't owe anything on the Jones card but had never bothered to close it so made the purchase on the card. The amount was $26 and change. Vicki gave the clerk the info to change the address to our SD mailing address. What we found out from the collection agency discussion is the clerk screwed up. She got the correct street address and box but didn't change the city/state to SD. Left it as Topeka. There is a street by the same name in Topeka. Jones mailed monthly statements to that address and they were returned as invalid addresses. Despite having the correct phone number, Jones never bothered to call us. After several months they turned it over to the collection agency. The collection agency also had their first letter returned as it was addressed to Topeka. They then did a search and got the letter to us. They wanted $211.xx to settle this bill! I negotiated that down to $104 and then paid it just to get it settled. That's why I wrote May Company. It remains to be seen whether they reply and whether they get this cleared off our record. I do not want it noted that it is settled. I want it noted it was due to a clerical error on their part. I can put that note into my records and will do so if they don't but that won't carry the same weight. My practice is to pay a bill in full when the statement arrives, but no statement arrived and I forgot about it.

The moral, in my opinion, is check your credit records. Something may be amiss. And maybe write down what you owe to who, just in case.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:19 AM   #23
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
OH for crying out loud Steve... What a mess..
The percentage numbers you quoted were just right.. 8% on the loans... about 4% on the retirement acct... Actually, the one acct I have is a stock portfolio, that tanked at 9-11 and is just now back up to a bit more than I had contributed in the first place.... so I'm taking my measly profit and using it elsewhere..
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:42 PM   #24
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
OK... here we go. Just called the dealership tonight. Gave them the green light on a 2006 2500HD LT/LS D/A w/ Ext cab/SB. Don't hate me, guys, but I am going for the metallic blue, not the white.

I maybe should not have gone for the "gold" with the LT package, but I guess I need to know. I may get blown out of the water on this. But I will get quotes from a couple of dealers. If there is no payment I like, I will drop to a used 2500. As we will be fulltiming next spring, I want to make sure I'm not spending as much time in tv repairs as I am towing. We have that GM "S" discount which really knocks a chunk off the price so wanted to try that first. I know exactly what we can afford. This will be close. We should know in the morning.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote