Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2005, 04:24 PM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You'll find a number of us towing at least that amount of weight with 3/4 ton trucks. The suggestion about having a reserve is a good one. We actually have more reserve with our current 3/4 ton than we did with our 2003 and 1999 one tons so this is no longer an issue of 3/4 vs 1 ton. It is more an issue of ratings. Our 3295 is a little bit heavier than your 3400 and the pinweight is a lot more on ours than yours.

In any case, we towed with 1999 and 2003 Ford one tons and now a 2005 3/4 ton. All rode very nicely. All were SRW. When trying out the 1999 and 2003 I drove both the 3/4 ton and the 1 ton. I could not detect a difference in ride or drive. This 2005 with the new frontend, frame, and suspension rides outstanding in both the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. So I wouldn't even worry about that part of it.

I added airbags to my F250 because our pinweight of 3120 lbs squatted the rear just a barely perceptible amount. I could feel the difference between that and the prior F350 so we added the airbags. That took care of that. The 3400 has the lightest pinweight (ours has about the heaviest, second only to the 3685) of any Montana so sag should not be a problem for you.

If you're planning to buy another Ford, a new one, the F250 tow, GVWR, and GCWR ratings are higher than last year's F350. But either the F250 or the F350 will do a terrific job for you. If you're thinking GM or Dodge, those will do a good job for you as well. You'll find plenty of each brand towing that weight with 3/4 ton trucks.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote