Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2004, 06:18 PM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
What about salt air?

In Jan/Feb we'll be on Tybee Island, just oustide Savannah, GA. I understand the rv park is just a few short blocks from the water, which I assume is saltwater.

Do I need to be concerned about doing anything special to protect exposed metal? What, specifically, and with what material?

Would appreciate the insights of you who have been there, done that.

Thanks.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:26 AM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I'd make sure the exposed shaft from the hydraulic slide cylinders are well lubed, coat them with lithium grease spray or run the slides in and out weekly to keep them wet. Make sure the other gears and parts are well lubed also.

How long are You staying there? Prevailing winds will also make a difference but I don't think You will get much mist a few blocks away.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 09:07 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am not sure I would be concerned about "salt air" unless I were close enough to the beach to get a spray/mist effect. My belief is that the real enemy is a constant high humidity. Taking care of exposed or bare metal areas would be my focus.

The attention to lubing the surfaces, that are needed to maniulate the slides, to keep them from rusting and as friction free as possible is appropriate. I would use the word "vigilant" to reflect a protocol of regular inspection in an effort to spot vulnerable areas.

If there is a problem with sea mist then I would consider frequent washing to remove any "salt" residue since salt does seem to accelerate the oxidation process.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 09:17 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John, we'll be there two months. Are you referring to the square shafts with teeth or are you saying I should lube the round chrome(?) tube? I understood that one should not be lubed. Wrong? Since we'll be there from 1/10 to 3/10 I assume the prevailing wind will be from generally north, which is the closest access direction to the salt water. But I really don't know for sure about the wind. In any case it's probably seaward.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:50 AM   #5
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
The gears (teeth) should be lubed regularly anyways but in Your case it is even more important. The rods (chrome things ) can be sprayed with white lithium grease, just make sure to wipe them down prior to retracting them. I do this for the winter on any machinery that sits for the season. Cheap insurance against pitting.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:17 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, John. I have some spray white lithium grease so that won't be a problem. And I keep the square tubes and teeth lubed with dri-lube.

Stiles, I had this thread open during the time you posted so didn't see yours until now. Thanks for the info. We have friends who had serious rust problems on everything from frame to steps after about 5 months sitting maybe 300 yards from the Gulf of Mexico in Texas last winter. So I'm paranoid about this. I want to be careful about greasing the step. I don't want it to open so easily it pops open on the road. We had that problem with one set of steps but not from lubrication.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:24 PM   #7
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Steve:
I have to echo what John said about wiping off the chrome rods used to guide the slides in and out. It okay to lubricate them when they are extended, however, when you're in a dusty or sandy environment, that lubrication holds the dust and sand also and can cause premature wear on the rod bushings. It easy to wipe these rods off before bringing the slides in. Take care with the lube on the gears and gear racks - the square bars of steal. If you place alot of lube on them its very easy to have them become contaminated with dirt and sand - especially within 300 yds of the gulf or any other body of water. The wind will cause most of your problems. It will blow the dust and sand on everything and if it is coated with oil or grease, the sand becomes like sand paper.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:33 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I understand your concern about the step and too much easy of movement. I am inclined to treat the rusty areas on it with the "rust converter" and a little spray paint, then minimal lubrication. Maybe use WD40 if it gets tight.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 02:37 AM   #9
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Good morning Steve,

Yes it is salt water. It also can be quite breezy. I have lived near or on salt water all my life and have kept boats for years. all the advice you have received is good. Wash the salt off pretty regularly, keep exposed metal coated with something but don't be paranoid about it. Regular fresh water does wonders. Most boaters wash down their boats every day but some (like me) are not so fussy. I have never had a eal problem.

I'm sure you can find your way around down there but if you want some advice or suggestions, let me know. I have been going to Savannah pretty regularly since 1953, my cousin and family live there and I have a good friend that lives on Wilmington Island which is very close to where you are. If you have need of a local contact let me know.

I go in by taking the 204 exit to Veterans Parkway to 516 E which is DeRenne. Straight on DeRenne for a few blocks, (this all busy heavy traffic but there is no other good choice.)left on the Truman Park way to 80 which is Victory Drive. Victory Drive takes you to Tybee. I have never even seen, much less stayed at, the park you are going to (we alway stay at Skidaway State Park) so I can't help you there.

Enjoy the winter

David
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 09:32 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks everyone for a bunch of great advice. Much appreciated.

I use Camco (I think it's theirs) Dri-Lube Slide Lubricant on the slide rails. It's non-greasy when applied so hopefully wouldn't pick up the sand but I'll watch it anyhow.

CmdrDewey, thanks for the route info. The TL Directory sends me up to Bay St which becomes Island Expressway. I'll get out Street Atlas later today and check out your route. Any info on things to see and do, good restaurants, anything else would be welcome from you and anyone else. We're partial to steak places but pizza also. We like things historical and things beautiful, including architecture, old buildings, etc. I've done a little research to compile a list but still need to do some more. Don't spend a lot of time on it but if you and anyone else has suggestions, feel free. I save those things and when we get there we'll start a list so we can plan our adventures. We also like just exploring backroads, scenic drives, etc.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:42 AM   #11
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
from the water, which I assume is saltwater.

Do I need to be concerned about doing anything special to protect exposed metal? What, specifically, and with what material?

Thanks.
[/quote]
Montana_2194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 10:51 AM   #12
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
from the water, which I assume is saltwater.

Thanks.
[/quote]

Hi Steve,

As you may recall, I live in Canada, and while we don't have salt water in Ontario, we have a lot of salt on the roads in the winter time. Undercoats etc. help somewhat, but as one of your other responders said, frequent wash down with fresh water is the secret here.

Even if you're a mile away, the salt is colloidally mixed with fog and normal air, and with the wrong wind, will invade your unit. Washing down on a three day interval, or with bad weather, should be the best first protector. A bit of benign grease on moving parts where allowed would be the second protection, in my opinion.

Keep in mind that I've not travelled in my Monty anywhere, so what do I know?

Jack Hadley
Montana_2194 is offline   Reply With Quote