Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2014, 02:41 AM   #21
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I always lower rear Jack stabilizers prior to running out slides I stay hitched to the TV when doing overnite stays

kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:39 AM   #22
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MDL

Two questions... many have mentioned DOT tape on the slides. I wanted to know if you recommend a specific color, and do any of you have a photo of how/where it was applied?

Second, on the newer Monties, do you just crawl over the bed with the bedroom slide stowed? Some I read put it out over landscaping, but if that's not an option, stow it and crawl?

I've never stayed in a big box parking lot, and I've heard (3rd hand) that the parking lot vacuum trucks keep you up all night. Any experience with that? I think we'll keep our distance except for parking to buy items, but in an emergency, it's nice to know we have options.
Hi Mark, DOT tape is the tape you see on commercial vehicles. It is red/white reflective. You can get it at auto parts stores, W-mart, Amazon. It is available by the roll or in individual pieces. By the roll is less money per piece. I have a 50' roll I have been using for probably 10 years. Just cut a single piece red/white section, will be about 18" long. I put a single red/white piece on the lower outer edge of the side. Visible only when the slide it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Reflexite-REF-...words=dot+tape

When we stop @ W-mart we ask where they want us. Usually it is on the outer fringe. We try and get next to a light. Common sense will tell you if it is OK to put out a bed room slide.

We fulltimed for 10 years. Only once did a lot sweeper cause a issue.

Jim
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:36 AM   #23
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
the simple answer is .... no problem with your Montana.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #24
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
We have stopped overnite at many Wallylands. Usually stay hooked but since I can not get to my frig or bedroom closets with out extended my slides I do extend them. I usually try to get a spot where I can extend them over grass like at the edge of a lot or over a divider. They usually want you to park out at the end of the lots and that's where the dividers and edge of the lots are. If not I carry several orange traffic cones in the bed I have picked up along the way.. I also put down at least the front jacks and unhook the power cord to the truck.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #25
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555

We have stopped overnite at many Wallylands. Usually stay hooked but since I can not get to my frig or bedroom closets with out extended my slides I do extend them. I usually try to get a spot where I can extend them over grass like at the edge of a lot or over a divider. They usually want you to park out at the end of the lots and that's where the dividers and edge of the lots are. If not I carry several orange traffic cones in the bed I have picked up along the way.. I also put down at least the front jacks and unhook the power cord to the truck.
Just curious, do those cones have TDT on them? Lol. Sorry I could not resist...
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:47 AM   #26
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Not no more lol lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #27
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Our horse trailer had a slide out in the living quarters. We used to run it out wherever we were parked. Unbeknownst to us at the time, the slide went out of adjustment and tore up the flooring in the trailer. Cost was $400 to reset the slide out and $2400 to replace the flooring. The repair facility was confident that failing to level the trailer was the primary cause of the damage. Moral of the story is that we never touch the slides on the Big Sky until we are sure we are level.

While we don't frequent Wal-Mart parking lots, we have encountered a couple with the no parking signs. The manager allowed us to stay, saying the signs were so that they could control who stayed there.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote