Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2013, 03:36 AM   #1
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
We're blowin' through the propane

Winter has come to NJ with a vengeance this year. Temps are running 10-15 degrees below normal for December, we've had several decent snowfalls and expecting what could be a nasty Nor'easter within the next 48 hours. Wind chills may be subzero and the forecast low for Friday night is -1F.

FYI, we're full-timers.

Our furnace is getting a workout. Is 65 reasonable for when we're actually in the rig during the day and 60-62 at night for sleeping reasonable? You'd think on my 3rd Winter here I'd not be so insecure, but I guess it's just the fact that it's so much colder this year so quickly has me wondering.

Seems the furnace cycles on and off a lot, but then again, it's cold out with highs in the 30s lately.

My thinking (and as a tech explained) is that it's better to keep the thermostat at 65 (or warmer than, say, 60) to warm up the rig more and have more heat to retain versus a lower (60-62) temp which is cooler, therefore less heat to retain to start with and then cycling on an off more . . .

We spend most of the day next door in an office, so we don't leave the fireplace or ceramic tower heaters on for safety reasons. Not comfortable with leaving them on unattended. We use these two methods in the evenings/weekends when we're "off work" at home next door in the rig. (We're an on-site security team at a dormant industrial site, so we're essentially on duty 24/7.)

Skirting is not an option here. We quite often have turbulent winds and gusts from every direction, and we've seen what winds do to skirting on other rigs in similar situations. Our kitchen gray tank valve handle is actually located under the body of the Monty and is exposed, so we have to be able to get to that. (Stupid design - the '09 model we had previously had the handle in a compartment, but the '10 model doesn't have that compartment and the valve is outside. DUH.) Additionally, we're parked by a river, so we need to be able to move the Monty fairly quickly should river overflowing be an issue. We've had to do that twice in the almost 3 years we've been here.

We're also not comfortable with getting a large standalone propane tank. There is a lot of traffic in the parking lot at times passing by our rig (we have orange traffic cones set out to keep cars/trucks at a safe distance from our slides, etc.) The propane company does not refill those, but changes them out. We also do not want to be dependent on waiting for someone to show up with propane and then not show up. The need to evacuate quickly (and not leave a big propane tank standing exposed in the parking lot) also plays a factor in this.

We need to be able to see out our windows relating to our work, i.e., if someone is parked at the entry gate, is someone trying to climb over the gate (or even crawl under it, which has happened!), so putting anything over the windows to obstruct clear vision is not an option.

(Yes, our water hose is heat taped and insulated, gonna dump tanks before the temps really drop and pour antifreeze down 'em - but obviously not the fresh tank because we use it if water supply lines freeze, etc.)

Good news is we don't pay for the propane. The company we're contracted to allows us to put it on their account at the propane dealer and we have a total of six 30-lb tanks available for our use. Right now DH is off to get some filled in anticipation of the New Year holiday/long weekend and storm scheduled to hit us Thursday.

Again, guess I'm venting (excuse any pun there!) a bit after lying awake last night hearing the furnace cycle off and about 1 minute later cycle on, etc. Sheesh. It was a worry night . . .

Heading South is not an option at this point. We are pre-retirement age, need to work and have a very good gig going here - obviously, since we will have been here 3 years this coming February. With holidays, of course, including attending the Montana NE Region Rally in 2012.

Thanks!
Betty

TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:47 AM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I am not an expert on winter RVing in the north but I think if I was working right next door that I would leave the ceramic heaters running especially if I was not paying the electric bill. I would just make sure nothing combustible was within 12-18 inches and on stable floor. I would also not worry about propane as you stated you have 6 30 pounders and employer is paying. I would also reconsider getting a large tank. Surely you do not have a road that close to both sides. Keep the 6 30 pounders as backup while waiting delivery.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:51 AM   #3
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
David and Sharon,

Cool that you have the same model as us. I hardly ever run into anyone who does! Hope you enjoy the floor plan as much as we do!

Cheers,
Betty
Old 12-31-2013, 04:07 AM   #4
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

I am not an expert on winter RVing in the north but I think if I was working right next door that I would leave the ceramic heaters running especially if I was not paying the electric bill. I would just make sure nothing combustible was within 12-18 inches and on stable floor. I would also not worry about propane as you stated you have 6 30 pounders and employer is paying. I would also reconsider getting a large tank. Surely you do not have a road that close to both sides. Keep the 6 30 pounders as backup while waiting delivery.
I too would let the heaters run. The propane furnaces are not the most efficient, coupled with at times drafty 5th wheels results in the constant cycling of the furnace.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:17 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
If you move the switchover regulator in the propane compartment, you can use 40 pound tanks which will last a little longer between changes. I am like the others, if the heater was in a safe place away from flammables and is thermostat controlled, I would leave it on as we do on cold days. I do not leave the fireplace on when we are away from the rig however.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The wind is your biggest enemy and it sounds like you can't do much about that. I'm sure you're doing this, but catching solar heat by keeping the shades up on the south side during the day is all I would have to add. Even the winter sun provides a lot of heat.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:41 AM   #7
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Dick and Joyce, yes, you bet I catch as much sunshine as possible when we get it!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Being Fulltimers but not being able to take advantage of your mobility has got to suck, especially if you're from Texas and shouldn't have to encounter weather like that. At least the propane is cheap. And as long as DH can go get the tanks filled, it's the best you can do. Venting helps, but I'm sitting here where I live, in my PJs at noon time shaking my head about your situation when it's 63 degree outside (so your 65 indoor setting with your temps outside are probably reasonable). Keep the electric heaters running to help the propane heater from kicking off so much. The best I can recommend is pen the dog when you are out find heaters that you can trust, since warming up a cold rig even when you aren't there is not the most efficient way to return to a comfortable rig in those temperatures and lessen propane usage.

Me thinks it's gonna be another long cold winter back East. Take care, Betty.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Betty,

I will say that old man winter has rolled in good this year.

We are wintering in the Catskills this year, a little more north from you this year than last when we were in the Poconos.

We have already seen below zero temps here. This year I put a simple skirt around just the bottom of the trailer frame with 3/4" foam just to cut the wind from under the main frame and trust me it is very windy here.

We have 2 - 100# propane tanks and try and keep them filled just in case, plus we keep the 2 -30# on board tanks full.

Since the electric is cheaper here than where we were previous last winter we switched the frig and hw heater back to electric and now only use the propane for the frig and cooking.

I know this is going to sound crazy but we like to keep the trailer a comfortable 60 deg during the day and drop it down to 56 at night. We cannot sleep if it is too warm at night.

The furnace does cycle on and off a little more but I cannot see how making it warmer will prevent that as the transfer of heat to the cold thru the walls is still the same.

Right now we are burning thru a 100# tank every 2 plus weeks which is not bad as last year as when we did not skirt the bottom and had to use electric heaters in the belly and basement to keep them warm. So far this year I have not had to turn them on and the basement has stayed at 50 degrees even when the temps dropped to below zero.

As long as your batteries stay charged and you have electric running thru the converter to keep them charging you should be good all winter.

Stay warm,

Les

Old 12-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Thanks, everyone. We actually do stay cozy in the Monty with the furnace, fireplace and/or tower heaters. We're lucky to have an office to go to that stays warm.

Yes, Winter can suck here. I don't handle this type of cold (the damp bone-chilling kind) as well as I used to. That being said, we recently turned down an prospective offer to manage an RV park back in Texas. The money was the same, but the stress level would have been much more than here (we have no work-related stress) and, hey, I often step outside to see an Eagle soaring overhead and some of the bluest skies I have ever witnessed. We have no neighbors - excepting the wildlife - so it's quiet and we sleep well.

There is truly much to be said in a good night's sleep, eh?

Thanks again, ya'll. Not being around a community of RVers, sometimes I just need to air things with folks who "get" the lifestyle and situations that are unique to "our kind."

Happy New Year!

Cheers,
Betty
Old 12-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
We spent 3 winters in our unit. They will use the propane when it gets cold. When it got down to single digits with 2 electric heaters going we still burned 1, 30 pound tank a day.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:09 AM   #12
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TxYellowRose

David and Sharon,

Cool that you have the same model as us. I hardly ever run into anyone who does! Hope you enjoy the floor plan as much as we do!

Cheers,
Betty
We're really glad we got our rear kitchen before Keystone discontinued this model. We had a 3400RL prior to this that we liked, but the open feeling of this one when walking in the door and the wide open kitchen sold us. Stay warm!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:25 AM   #13
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
A lot to be said for a low stress job. Propane is a small price to pay. I spent my life managing restaurants and, if I had to, would go back to that before I'd take on a trailer park.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #14
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
When using larger tanks, as Bigboomer said they have 2 100lb tanks, what is the suggested method of connecting them to the trailer? We are stationary for several months, with a couple of short getaways in the middle, and would like to set up larger tanks. I checked with the local propane company, and was told it would be cost prohibitive for them to install a temporary tank, so the smaller, 100lb, tanks sound like the way to go. We will come back to this location in the future, in-law's place in the mountains near Yosemite, so we can leave the tanks here when traveling.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #15
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Update to the furnace and propane.

Part of me feels like a total dummy.

You know those vents in the stairs? The ones that go to the basement and probably act as air return for the furnace?

Well, we had closed those off during Summer to keep the rig cooler. I opened 'em up and the furnace seems to be operating more efficiently.

DUH.

I'm also keeping a tower heater running in the living room and the furnace - still set at 65 - isn't coming on as much.

That being said, when this Nor'easter blows in tomorrow and temps drop to single digits and subzero, I'm sure our beloved furnace will be cranking no matter what.

Honestly, I love being a full-time RVer. Grew up with travel trailers and it's in my genes, literally, thanks to Dad. Always an adventure, always learning, always living Life a bit on the edge and as full as possible.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #16
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rohrmann

When using larger tanks, as Bigboomer said they have 2 100lb tanks, what is the suggested method of connecting them to the trailer? We are stationary for etaways in the middle, and would like to set up larger tanks. I checked with the local propane company, and was told it would be cost prohibitive for them to install a temporary tank, so the smaller, 100lb, tanks sound like the way to go. We will come back to this location in the future, in-law's place in the mountains near Yosemite, so we can leave the tanks here when traveling.
What I did is basically take the short connection to the driver side propane tank and remove it and replace with a brass gas ball value to the regulator and a 5 foot extension hose so I can hook up the 100 # tanks. Here is a link to a similar hose on Amazon... http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0014E...110_SY165_QL70

This same hose can still used on the existing 30# tank on the regulator side just it is a male to female connection.

When making the new gas connections make sure you the correct pipe tape.

Other than the hose you can get the rest from Home Depot or Lowes.

Hope this helps.

Happy New Year!

Les
Old 01-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #17
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Thanks. That helps give me direction on what I need to do.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote