Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2004, 08:04 AM   #1
Still_waters
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1030
Where's the sound

When we purchased our Montana 2955RL, during the walk thru, my eyes lit up when I saw those two small speakers over the recliner chairs. This is because I have a hearing loss and my better half always tells me that I have the TV volume too high. I envisioned watching TV at a normal audio level with those speakers right over my head. WRONG!! I have yet to hear any sound coming from those speakers. Am I doing something wrong? Have I overlooked a switch somewhere? Does anyone else have this problem or are the speakers just for looks?

Still_waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 09:39 AM   #2
Montana_2435

M.O.C. #2435
I am no sound man but I know what you are saying. I'm not familiar with your Montana model, but on ours the 2 speakers above the chairs by the big window are surround sound speakers. Our subwoofer speaker quit working while still under warranty and the dealer replaced the whole DVD unit. It then worked but I couldn't get the 2 small speakers to put out any sound. So I took it back and they went through the setup menus and changed some settings and got them to work. But the only time I get anything out of them is when we put a surround sound DVD in the player. I used to be able to get them to work with TV, but not anymore. There is probably a different menu setting for that, but I don't understand all the audio terms I guess you need to know to understand what I am doing. I sure would like some explanations on these settings also. Sorry I am not much help to you on this, but just had to reply with my own troubles. Good luck.

Mel
2000 Ford F250SD 6.8LV10
2004 Montana 3575RL
Montana_2435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:36 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Check out the audio button on the remote. It controls which speakers are working.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:27 PM   #4
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Gang, our has the same set up. The two speakers complete the 5.1 Surround Sound. You must have a DVD that is recorded in 5.1 to have the full effect. Try a copy of Saving Private Ryan or something similar. It really sounds as if the bullets are buzzing your head. Also, if you tune your selection to the Pro-Logic you can get sound when playing a CD. Best of luck.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:28 PM   #5
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
The overhead speakers you mention are for the surround system when watching a dvd with 5.1 surround sound programming. They do not work when watching regular TV. At least this is my experience and information gather from research.

Gary
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 02:51 PM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Still-waters -

We get sound out of all five speakers when listening to stereo or watching TV. There are two things to check that I can tell you without having my unit here. First is to check the push buttons for the speakers on the fron of the DVD/receiver. Make sure the "A" speakers is pushed in - you can also have the A and B pushed in, but make sure the "A" button is in.

Next, you have several different "sound fields". Make sure you have the surround sound field selected. That controls which mode is being used by the stereo. Hope this helps.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 03:11 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I think Montana dealers need to hire a herd of kids and teens to set up these electronic marvels. I am still trying to set up features on my cell phone. I find my patience, to wade through inadequately written an poorly organized instruction manuals, has dimenished considerably.

When my computer science degreed son gets frustrated, I call my entertainment center expert son over. When he bombs, I call my grandson of 11--that does the trick. Maybe I should have called the grandson first, ya reckon?
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 11:27 AM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Stiles -

I have ten years to wait for that. I am one of those weird people that buys a book for everything - and sometimes I even read manuals (shocking). But I know that my 18 year old son was the first to download and burn CD's. I think our frustration level is inversely proportional to our patience as we get older - less patience = more frustration. May even be squared.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 06:22 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Our speakers work for the TV if you choose a certain setting but the quality of the TV picture is not as good.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:00 AM   #10
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Still Waters

I had the same problem trying to hear the TV so I purchased a set of wireless speakers at Radio Shack for less than $100 and set on on the table beside my recliner. They are stero and have their own volume control. I also use one to set the satalite outside.Take the beep beep with you.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:13 AM   #11
Still_waters
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1030
Awaywego

I like that idea. Will check Radio Shack this weekend.

Thanks

Still_waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 06:46 AM   #12
Montana_2505
Established Member

M.O.C. #2505
We've had our new Montana about 2 months. The surround sound hasn't worked since we've had it. We have a miriad of other problems and this is just one of them. We had ours in the shop for a week recently, and Dealer said "yup-bad unit" (Now we wonder if they meant the ENTIRE RV or the surround sound!) Anyways, Dealer said they replaced the Surround Sound with a new one. Still doesn't work.
Hubby rewired the speakers so that at least we get TV thru all the speakers. (Oh, yes, and we have spent at least 2 days changing to every combination of settings available on the Quest Surround Sound--nothing changed.)
No Stereo, no surround sound, but at least we can hear TV!
Montana_2505 is offline   Reply With Quote