Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2004, 10:57 AM   #21
Montana_2427

M.O.C. #2427
Sreigle:
Already did that long time ago, but ty for your reply. We have seen both the Montana and Moutaineers.
Guess we'll keep looking and researching.

Montana_2427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 03:55 PM   #22
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Sheri, We know the Widsor area dealership you mentioned and agree with you. We did not buy from them because of the distance from home, but I felt comfortable with thier approach.

So far as the difference between a Montana and a Mountaineer goes, I can't give you an offical answer, but my impression is this: Originally Montanas came in both Travel Trailer and 5th wheel configurations, over the years, the TTs were split off as Mountaineers, and later 5th wheels were addeed to that line. Keystone seems to have continuously upgraded the Montana line, but the Mountaineer line is more like the original early Montanas without all of the subsequent upgrades. Today, Montanas are built in one plant (a new one built specifically for Montanas) while Mountaineers are now built in the former Montana plant. I think you will find that Mountaineers are good value for the money, they are just not as "leading edge" as the Montanas (and that's not always a bad thing). Look closely at the models on display, and I think you will be able to recognize the differences. Another difference is that Mountaineers tend to be smaller and have more "family-oriented" floor plans with bunk beds etc.

As someone else has said, it is not all that far to Goshen from Winsor, if you could possibly manage a few days in Goshen to tour the two plants, I think all your questions would be answered. They give really good tours, not just glorified sales pitches.

We are on our second Montana, and I don't think that is unusual. You will find a good deal of brand loyalty among Montana Owners.

As I said, this just my personal view, others may disagree, but I wish you well with your research. Just keep in mind, the perfect RV has yet to made, and if it had, none of us would be able to afford it anyway.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 04:52 PM   #23
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
We probably are more able to help you Sherri with regard to the difference between the Mountaineer and the Montana as we have owned both. In fact we have owned two Mountaineers this year and a Montana 3400. We purchased our first Mountaineer last August but were unable to use it until May this year, partly due to the fact we did not have the truck until December and my husband being and Accountant we know the reason we cannot leave Canada until May!!! We loved both our Mountaineers, we upgraded from the 315 to the 335 because of the bedroom slide. We then upgraded to the Montana 3400 because we fell in love with it.
The difference between the Mountaineer and the Montana really is cosmetic. The actual frame and construction is the same for both. The inside of the Mountaineer is more basic with less of the goodies that the Montana has but we had no complaints and found the quality excellent. The Montana is more expensive and of course heavier but I do feel the extra charged is worth it.
Please do not hesitate to PM us if you have any other questions. We purchased our RVs from Outdoor Travel in Hamilton who have been wonderful.
Diana
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 02:31 AM   #24
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I also think the Mountanieer has more "family firendly" floorplans with the bunkhouse model and such. They are designed and decorated a little more spartan so kids don't have such fancy things to dirty and destroy.

You can't go wrong with either.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote