Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2004, 03:50 AM   #1
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
another winterizing question

Been reading the thread on winterizing. This is our first winter with the Montana and because we had it in for some minor repairs, I had them do the winterizing. The down side was I didn't get to force myself to do the job and learn the process. I noticed that they have left the grey and black tank handles in the open (pulled out) position. I asked them and they said this was correct. But I always thought that the idea was to leave the anti-freeze inside the rig...no? I'm also wondering if anyone here has an internet resource that lists a procedure for complete and thorough winterizing?

captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 04:36 AM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
The holding tanks can be left closed with some antifreeze in them or fully drained and the valves can be left open. Many prefer to leave the valves closed so they stay wet with a/f and the seals stay flexible while the other school of thought is to let everything dry out and there is nothing to freeze.
If there is a trace of moisture in the tanks no problem. Freezing becomes an issue and pipes or tanks burst because the water or other liquid expands as it freezes. When the liquid expands it needs a place to go. This causes a failure in a pipe of fitting. If there is a little water in the bottom of a line it will freeze and take up a little more space. If a line is full and freezes than there is a good chance of something breaking.

I don't believe there is a right or wrong answer just different methods.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 09:57 AM   #3
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
I have a step by step winterizing sheet in Microsoft Word format. If you wish me to send a copy, e-mail me through the forum with your e-mail address and I will send it to you.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 11:52 AM   #4
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Try this place www.rv`ers corner.com
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 01:35 AM   #5
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
my personal preferance is to leave them closed with some antifreeze in them.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote