Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #21
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
For those who have removed the decals is there a marked difference fading between the exposed areas and under where the decals were?
Question can you do the all white look with buffing the sides out?

thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #22
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
The body man doing my repairs said they can be buffed out. He removed the front decals on his Cedar Creek, buffed it out and it looks great. When they get done with the repairs I would buff mine out except my buffer is in Florida. Maybe I can get him to do it for free???LOL
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #23
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
we'll I've got $2000 from the warranty company with my name and the decal's shop name as well
the bid for the whole job is $2800 and i haven't got the extra to kick in so we are looking for a compromise, like me removing the old and residue ..... trying to get my head around the options that would work in the budget any thoughts or experience out there
keystone won't supply a free set as I'm not the original owner for a start
Mikey
Old 08-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #24
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I removed and replaced about 90% of the decals on the street side and removed but have not replaced all decals on the front cap. I'll send you the details of what I did. There are lots of suggestions under the other decal topics.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:59 AM   #25
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
made deal and will get all replaced in September
I'll post pix then

Mikey
Old 08-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #26
bandit
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12000
I would greatly appreciate getting those details from you as well. I have rec'd new decals from Keystone yet must remove and replace myself. Thank you
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by c214dick

I removed and replaced about 90% of the decals on the street side and removed but have not replaced all decals on the front cap. I'll send you the details of what I did. There are lots of suggestions under the other decal topics.
bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #27
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Mikey. do you still have the email I sent you that you can forward to bandit?
Old 08-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #28
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Thanks to a lot of suggestions, here's what I did to remove decals. There are other options available so this is not the only way.

To remove the decals I used a wall paper steamer. I had tried a dry heat gun but the steamer kept the decals more flexible and easier to remove in larger pieces. Keep the steamer on the first section for a couple of minutes moving it back and forth. You should be able to pry up a corner with your finger nail or a plastic scraper. Slowly peel the decal and follow with the steamer. You may have some pieces left which may require the use of a plastic scraper.

There will be some adhesive residue left which I removed with acetone. I used the heavy duty blue paper towels. Using one section of towel at a time I folded into a 2" square. As I worked the acetone into the adhesive the towel will start to shred so I just refolded it to get a clean surface. Most of the adhesive will come off using this method some required a little scraping. Once the adhesive is removed I wiped down the surface with rubbing alcohol to remove any left over toweling and adhesive.

There will be a shadow left where the original decal was which assisted me in placing the new decal. If you are not going to replace the decal, I was told that the shadow can be removed by buffing it out. I'm still up in the air whether I will put the new decals on the front before the fall rally. Monte is still in the shop for the accident repairs and I'm still having a hydraulic leak which may or may not be related to the accident. As the rally will be the last and only time we will go out I may just hold off until next season. If I decide to buff it out I will still have to wait as my buffer is in Florida.

Good luck, it's a very time consuming project but paying some shop an hourly rate to do the work was not an option. The installing of the decals is much easier than removing. Thanks to a couple of member's expertise, it was actually fun to put on the new decals.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #29
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
Dick
just got back on line
you got the info out
thanks
mikey
Old 08-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #30
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
Ours is 3 1/2 years old, no peeling decals, but the front one is showing at's age from bugs rocks etc. Has anyone ever had an automotive clear bra installed over the front to protect it?, I am thing that would be the way to go on a new 5th wheel, or someone with new decals.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote