Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dangers of pumping fuel

I doubt this will ever happen again but ----- Today while visiting Astoria, OR I took advantage of fueling up since the price for diesel was at least 8 cents cheaper than any other place we've visited here on the North Coast of Oregon. The price was $4.079.

While the tank was filling I was holding the nozzle in the filler tube on my truck. It has a relatively flat angle and I generally simply hold the thing so it doesn't fall out. Suddenly I'm holding the nozzle and the hose has fallen to the ground and fuel is pumping on me and the ground! I had to have pumped out at least 5 gallons or more before we were able to get the pump cut off.

It appears that some sort of retaining clip broke or wore out. There was still metal on the hose so it was not the hose itself that failed.

The owner was on vacation or otherwise unavailable so it will be interesting to see what, if anything, I get in terms of reimbursement for the fuel pumped on the ground.

So be careful out there. Dennis

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:28 AM   #2
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Sure glad nothing real serious happened as a result of this mishap. Sent you a PM on another subject.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sorry that happened to you Dennis, what a deal. Your skin soaks up that smell and it is so hard to get it out, also your clothes..what do you do there? You contaminate a washer with that smell.
Glad you were not injured somehow, but what an unpleasant experience. I guess we shouldn't always expect those things to work properly, I will keep this in mind when fueling up.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:13 AM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Sorry for the mishap, but thank goodness it was Diesel and not Gasoline. Can you imagine that much Gas on the ground and some jerk a few feet away with a cigarette. With all the signs for NO Smoking you still see it all the time.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mhs4771,
I was nervous enough with just the diesel. I would really have freaked out if it was gasoline! Thankfully there was no one smoking. I just very happy everything worked out as well as it did. I even had a change of clothes with me. I'd taken them along in case there was a change in the weather. So it never hurts to be prepared just in case! You never know what may happen. Just be careful whatever you are doing. Dennis
Old 07-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
nasty experience.Good thing it was diesel and not gas.. the clothing is no doubt ruined.When I drove school bus I doused myself several times with diesel and the clothing was trashed. Put that stuff in a washer and you may never get the smell out of the washer.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Dennis, Sorry for the mishap, I would follow up with the company to make sure you are reimburse. Five Gal. @ 4.079 20.40, yes I would folow up. Glad you are alright.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:22 AM   #8
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Dennis, just another reason to get a big rig. Fewer fillups, fewer mishaps. And, adding insult to injury, diesel is down to $3.75 here in Carson City, lower in Dayton.

We hope you guys are enjoying cooler weather there; we're in the 90s. The rig is ready for the thunderstorms this week when the humidity goes up to an intolerable 50%. We wish we were travelling with you, but at least my teeth are in good shape, now, and the bill isn't quite as bad as it could be.

Mina and Bob came through last week and were able to pick up their batteries, finally. I was beginning to think we'd never cross paths, everything seemed to be working against us. We had a nice visit before they continued on their way to South Dakota.

Say hi to Mary Kay and the pups (2 or 3??),

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bob,
We got a call from the Chevron station where the problem occurred. They will be mailing me a Chevron gift certificate. Will have to wait until it is received at home to know how much they thought they owed me. But at least we did hear from them. So far so good.

Good to hear that it is "down" to only $3.75! Funny how good we think that is now a days! Once again proving that everything is truly relative!

Good to hear that your dental situation has been sorted out and better. Know all about the relative $$$$ differences between here and there! Had some very expensive stuff done here and wish I'd had it done there! Oh, well.

Good that Myna and Bob made it by for a visit and to get their batteries. Sounds like they are having a great trip.

Speaking of trips..... we certainly wish you guys had been able to join us. Other than getting rained on almost every day we have had a fantastic trip. One thing we've learned on this trip is the great advantage of Elk Lodge membership; Especially along the Oregon coast. All thanks to Jack and Terry Craig the Elk members. Stayed in a great park in Florence and found another great one at Tillamook. Actually the rain has not been all that bad and considering that in Bakersfield the temps have been running in the 103 to 107 range we may just turn around and go back to 60 degree Tillamook!

Stay well and keep that new dental work properly exercised!

Talked with a guy today that has a new 450 --- man do they look nice --- but did not have the heart to tell him he could have saved a great deal of money and had a truly great tow vehicle by getting a rig like yours. The reason he needed it >>>>> he was towing a Mobile Suites rig that weighs a whooping 19,000 lbs. I don't know if that was dry weight or not. But either way that is a lot of weight for a 450! Later, Dennis
Old 07-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Dennis, that's a lot of weight to tow with a 450, but even more of a consideration, that's a lot of weight to stop with a 450.

Sounds like you guys are having a great time in Oregon; we do envy you. The humidity is rising as moisture is being pulled up from Mexico and Arizona. I wish we could declare that an illegal alien and have it stopped at the border. Sharon and Zoo are out in the trailer now, where it's cool and dry. We had lots of thunderclouds and a few showers today, but tomorrow will bring a lot more.

Please say hello to Jack and Terry for us.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:46 AM   #11
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
I thought you had to have your fuel pumped for you in Oregon. I would much prefer to pump my own but have never been allowed to do so. Glad you were not hurt.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:18 AM   #12
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by firetrucker

Dennis, that's a lot of weight to tow with a 450, but even more of a consideration, that's a lot of weight to stop with a 450.

Sounds like you guys are having a great time in Oregon; we do envy you. The humidity is rising as moisture is being pulled up from Mexico and Arizona. I wish we could declare that an illegal alien and have it stopped at the border. Sharon and Zoo are out in the trailer now, where it's cool and dry. We had lots of thunderclouds and a few showers today, but tomorrow will bring a lot more.

Please say hello to Jack and Terry for us.

Bob
Hi Bob,miss you guys. Wish you we're with us.
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #13
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Dennis,I hope that gift cert. isn't for that Astoria station only! LOL!
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Don,
Diesel is exempt from the law regarding pumping your own fuel. Apparently because it's flash point is higher it is not subject to the prohibition of self pumping. Anyway it is legal for you to pump your own diesel!

Bob,
Yes! That is a lot of weight to stop. My definition of towing includes the "stopping". It is the stopping that is, in my opinion, the most important part of towing! His 450 was definitely showing the effect of the 19K. The weight was pushing his rear end down causing the front end to point up! I would not want to have that. That is the reason we went from the 250 to the 450. My 240 was simply not stiff enough to hold the weight as it should. The 450 is much stronger and holds the weight as it should.

Jack,
The certificate is good at ANY Chevron station anywhere! I did make sure of that!

Later, Dennis.