Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Wiring Fault/Trailer disconnected

Sitting at the Vineyards in Grapevine, no trailer brakes. On the way in last week would be a "Trailer disconnected" followed immediately by "trailer connected" message. Hooked up to leave Friday and Wiring Fault followed by trailer disconnected and no brakes.
Ford replaced the 7 pin for gee whiz. Had a local check out the trailer wiring and could not find a problem. Ocassionally, just get the wiring fault but brakes do not engage. When checking with a meter, we never get power to the brake pin on the truck side when stepping on the brake but do when I pinch the controller slides followed by the "trailer disconnected".
Ideas?????????????

Mike

pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
I don't know if the issue is similar, but I used to have a "trailer disconnected" message and had no trailer brakes. Took my 2008 GMC to the dealer and they found that the front brake sensor was causing the problem. After they found the problem and I assume they cleaned or did soemthing with the sensor (they didn't replace it) I haven't had a problem since.
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mike- I don't remember what you are driving for a TV but you might check the fuse box! I've seen some blow a fuse in the box under the hood but it could also be loose. If not that it would have to be a pin in your TV harness OR a wire has come loose at the harness. I'm not an electrical wizard so this is what I'd be checking first. I'm sure there will be several of the electrical experts coming along here soon too! Keep us informed and see you in July at the Central Plains Regional Rally --if not before!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:34 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Several years back I started getting an intermittent problem with my trailer brake system. It would flash that I had no connection and then right back to everything was fine. This went on for about a year. Finally, and at the top of the Siskiyous headed into OR from CA the system indicated I had no brakes at all on the trailer! So we crept down the mountain and worked our way on over to the coast.

Thanks to the brakes (15 inchers) on the truck we had no major problems. When we got to our park we talked with the folks who run the place and they knew a reputable guy who worked on this sort of thing. Turned out that the brake wire was routed thru the axle. Inside the axle the wires had worn the protective covering off the wire. This would cause a short anytime the exposed wire touched the metal in the axle.

The easy fix was to cut and remove that bad section and replace with good wire. We routed the new wire on the outside of the axle. We've had no issues since the fix. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Rigged up a 12 volt system. Have 12 volts at the brakes. When pig tail hooked to the truck (truck grounded), get 2-3 volts when brake pedal pushed and 12 volts when controller squeezed with trailer disconnected message.

Taking truck and trailer to Ford in AM and will either get a new controller or they can start making the payments.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 09:51 PM   #6
CraigB in FL
Established Member

M.O.C. #29201
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpam View Post
I don't know if the issue is similar, but I used to have a "trailer disconnected" message and had no trailer brakes. Took my 2008 GMC to the dealer and they found that the front brake sensor was causing the problem. After they found the problem and I assume they cleaned or did soemthing with the sensor (they didn't replace it) I haven't had a problem since.
dpam,

Just to confirm, that sensor was on your truck? Having the same problem with my F-350 and I've heard a few chirps from a front wheel. I'd like to rule that out before I go chasing shorts on the trailer.

Thanks!

2015 Montana 3582RL
2015 Ford F-350 DRW, 6.7 diesel, Anderson Ultimate Connection Gooseneck Hitch
CraigB in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 10:28 PM   #7
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I had the intermittent "trailer disconnected" message after spending the winter at Key West Florida. Cleaned the contacts with 200 sand paper.
Worked fine since.
I think the salt air corroded the contacts.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote