Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2011, 03:33 AM   #21
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Now I remember why I pledged never to post on a weight related thread again. Dummy me for being finger happy and brain dead!!!!!!!

Time to re-pledge!!!

Bingo
Bingo, you posted a very good post. I also have never understood the stopping the RV issue that many want to inject into the argument. My trailer has very good brakes.

And I agree with the issue of pin weight. But, most if not all of the HD trucks use the same axle as their counterparts (brand specific). Therefore, the springs, wheels and tires are the limiting factor. Those can be changed to accommodate the load.(like on the 3500HD SRW) Of course the dually gives a wider platform, but I have never found stability an issue. I have however, found getting in and out of a bank drive thru or a parking garage in a large city an issue with a dually, or even a long bed crew cab 3500 SRW. That's exactly why I drive a 3/4 ton. When it sags, I'll beef it up or get the short bed SRW one ton GM now offers. Different strokes for different folks.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:11 AM   #22
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

You guys with the dully's are wearing thin!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Walk in others shoes first!!!!!!!!!!!! It is what it is and your comments quit being helpful 50 posts ago. IMHO.
Mike
I first towed with a 2500 Chevy, so I have been in those shoes first. I then figured I was fairly oveweight in the bed so I chose to go to a higher rated truck. In the five years or so I have been a member here, there have been many redundant questions and there will continue to be. Discussions like these help newbies to make an informed decision about RVing. Perhaps you should log on less often to avoid the redundancy OR you might even try offering some constructive suggestions. Happy motoring.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #23
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

You guys with the dully's are wearing thin!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Walk in others shoes first!!!!!!!!!!!! It is what it is and your comments quit being helpful 50 posts ago. IMHO.
Mike
I first towed with a 2500 Chevy, so I have been in those shoes first. I then figured I was fairly oveweight in the bed so I chose to go to a higher rated truck. In the five years or so I have been a member here, there have been many redundant questions and there will continue to be. Discussions like these help newbies to make an informed decision about RVing. Perhaps you should log on less often to avoid the redundancy OR you might even try offering some constructive suggestions. Happy motoring.......
Good advice. Many of us have had 3/4 ton trucks, realized they were over weight, and got a truck big enough to handle a Montana.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #24
bcforce
Established Member

M.O.C. #11272
Thanks so much for all the input. Now let me try to recap it so it makes sense... As the owner of a 2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison, my biggest challenge seems to be keeping my truck's GVW no higher than around 9200 lbs after the pin weight is added in with the rest of the loaded weight in the truck. So, the truck + passengers + fuel + other items carried in the truck + the pin weight of the fifth wheel has to stay within the 9200 lb GVW of my truck. Then the 9200 lbs - pinweight + loaded weight of trailer can't be over 22000 (GCVW). It sounds like some folks are pretty precise about that, and don't want to be overweight at all with GVW or GCVW. Others take the weight numbers with some flexibility and feel that as long as they are within 5 - 10 percent of the weight limits, and the vehicle handles and stops OK, these weights are OK.

So, my wife and I like the 3400RL the best, and the 2980RL is also second, though we like the larger living area of the 3400 better. I had assumed that weight-wise, the 2980 would be better because it is shorter. But after figuring out all these specs, it looks as if the 3400 is the better match for my 2500HD Duramax.

Here's how I figured it. Keep in mind that the loaded weight of my truck is 7100. So...
Truck + the pin weight of the 2008 2980RL (2275 lb) = 9375 lb
Truck + the pin weight of the 2008 3400RL (2045 lb) = 9145 lb
So, with the pin of the 3400, I'm within the truck's GVW.

I then checked the GCVW (I figured 2500 lbs cargo in the trailer) for truck + trailer:
Truck (7100) + GVW of the 2980 (12835) = 19935 lb
Truck + GVW of the 3400RL (14425) = 21,525 lb

Since both of these are under the 22000 GCVW, and the pin weight of the 2980RL puts my truck overweight, the 3400 is the safer choice for us, even though it's overall weight is heavier.

So, if I am precise about it, the 3400RL is better. If I figure it's OK to be a little over the GVW rating, then they are both OK.

Since we like the 3400RL the best, I am inclined to go that direction.

Sound right to all of you who have more experience with heavier trailers than I do?
bcforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #25
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Robert, The only thing I can say about the stated pin weight of the 3400 is "Don't believe what you read!!!""" The pin weight on my 3400 is 2980 and Richfaa is somewhere around 2700, I believe. Keystone is famous for listing "UNLOADED WEIGHTS" to attain these numbers. When it comes to reality they are much heavier, especially if you fulltime. The only way to avoid this is to load your rig with most of the weight aft, which is not a good thing to do either. Unfortunately, the only way to know this is to load the trailer then have it weighed. Most dealers won't allow this. This is the best I can offer......
Old 03-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #26
bcforce
Established Member

M.O.C. #11272
Quote:

Robert, The only thing I can say about the stated pin weight of the 3400 is "Don't believe what you read!!!""" The pin weight on my 3400 is 2980 and Richfaa is somewhere around 2700, I believe. Keystone is famous for listing "UNLOADED WEIGHTS" to attain these numbers. When it comes to reality they are much heavier, especially if you fulltime. The only way to avoid this is to load your rig with most of the weight aft, which is not a good thing to do either. Unfortunately, the only way to know this is to load the trailer then have it weighed. Most dealers won't allow this. This is the best I can offer......
exav8tr - Thanks for the advice. Does Montana list low pinweights with all their models, or just the longer ones?
Old 03-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #27
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
bcforce
I`m not a full timer and My loaded 3400 pin weight is 2,480, if you are a full timer it can be heavier.
I hope you enjoy your new 3400 as much as we do ours.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 AM   #28
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have the 2006 2980 Montana. That particular year, the 2980 had the highest listed pin weight of all Montanas. I weighed several times and unloaded with a driver (and maybe a passenger) the truck weighed 7100-7200 (not a full tank of fuel). Loaded the truck was around 10,100 - 10,200. The total weight is around 19,000. I can reduce the pin weight by filling the fresh water tank (410 lb) that is in the rear of the trailer. That brings the truck down a bit to 9700.
I am also right at the tire weight limit on the rear axle (6080 with tires at 6082, I believe).
The new Silverados have upped the weight limit significantly, I believe. If I had the $$, I would upgrade!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:53 AM   #29
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bcforce

Quote:

exav8tr - Thanks for the advice. Does Montana list low pinweights with all their models, or just the longer ones?
Robert, It is my opinion that all pinweights listed by Keystone are for unloaded trailers. I may be wrong but that seems to be the consensus. Also remember, if you move weight aft, as in loading your fresh water tank, you lighten the load on your truck which COULD, cause control problems. This is coming from an ex-pilot who was intimately involved with weight and balance of aircraft.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #30
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Robert,
IMHO, you DO understand the dynamics at play here, and your logic is sound. Yes, the listed pin weight may be unrealistic since we all normally travel with propane tanks and some water. However, your conclusion on the pin weight for the 3400 being less than the 2980 should still be true. You will probably not be able to realistically get under the GVW for the truck. (as someone else pointed out, everyone with a 3/4 ton is exceeding that number). Key thing here is your are trying to get/keep that figure as low and close to the GVW as possible. Obviously the rear end is not going to fall off if you hit 9201. If you didn't already have the truck or if money was no object and you could run out and get another truck I would look for something that could handle the weight a little better. I would if I could afford it but I can't, so I will continue to use my 2001 2500HD and take it easy and not drive my truck like nothing I can do will hurt it.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #31
bcforce
Established Member

M.O.C. #11272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill and Lisa

Robert,
IMHO, you DO understand the dynamics at play here, and your logic is sound. Yes, the listed pin weight may be unrealistic since we all normally travel with propane tanks and some water. However, your conclusion on the pin weight for the 3400 being less than the 2980 should still be true. You will probably not be able to realistically get under the GVW for the truck. (as someone else pointed out, everyone with a 3/4 ton is exceeding that number). Key thing here is your are trying to get/keep that figure as low and close to the GVW as possible. Obviously the rear end is not going to fall off if you hit 9201. If you didn't already have the truck or if money was no object and you could run out and get another truck I would look for something that could handle the weight a little better. I would if I could afford it but I can't, so I will continue to use my 2001 2500HD and take it easy and not drive my truck like nothing I can do will hurt it.
Thanks, Bill.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #32
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill and Lisa

Robert,

Good Advice, Bill. The way one drives is the key....Know your limits and you should be OK.............