Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Mission Tire Nightmare!!

DH thinks we have put on 8 to 10,000 miles on our Missions in the last 4 1/2 years that we have owned our Monty. Today, on I-81 in Pennsylvania we had a meltdown. Passenger side lost air and by the time a passing motorist told us about it it had melted down and was falling apart. Changed out with the spare and got under way. Once again a passing motorist alerted us to a low tire. This time it was on the driver side and going flat. Got off the interstate and put air in. Thankfully we were only about 20 miles from the campground we were going to. By the time we got there it was going flat again. I am just so grateful that we didn't have a blowout!! Looks like 4 new tires are our next purchase!! Any suggestions?

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
We put the BF Goodrich Commercial T/A's on ours last year and are very satisfied with them. I did a lot of research before I bought them though. Glad to here that you had no major problem on the road.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
CasaDelSol,
At 4 and a half years old the tires were probably ready to be replaced regardless of brand. In all likelihood the tires were probably made at least a year or two before they went on the Montana so more likely were at least 5 and a half to 6 years old. I believe tire folks will tell you that that is about the time to replace them.

Sure glad you suffer any damage to your rig. In my case I've torn off both fender skirts plus beat up some of the plumbing. Anyway you can now put on some "good" tires.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Just put 4 BF Goodrich commercial TA'S on last week. Took off 4 other brand that looked new but were 5 years old.

awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
I learn the same lesson about 5 year old tires as I was east bound to DC on this trip. My pre-owned Monty had the oringinal Tocoma tires on it. They had no mileage on them and looked like new but they did have 5 years of age. One separated and the tread just peeled off but it held air. I discovered the peeled tire when I chocked the tires while setting up for the night. Lucky the tread must have peeled off just as I exited the freeway. After mounting the spare I did an inspection and found that the other tires were crowning and evidence that the tread was separating. Since I was in a one horse town in mid-Texas my choices for tires were limited to the Firestone Tranforce LTs. They seem to be working alright.

Tony
tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have the heavier 3400 and put the Goodyear G614RST's on this year. Maybe a little too much for your rig, but that's what we wanted. Many good options are out there for the lighter rigs. Many use the Michelin Ribs. Lonnie B. is our resident expert on tires and he could advise you and give you some choices. Perhaps he will be along soon, OR you could check the search machine for Trailer tires.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
Jetson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #180
If you have a blow-out on one tire, the other tire on that same side is VERY likely to do the same very soon. The bad tire usually ruins the nearby tire when it goes out. The other tire might look fine and might last a few hundred more miles, but it is very likely doomed.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:36 AM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Joanie & Dave,
Check out my recent post titled "Marathon Tires". I just put B F Goodrich Commercial TA's on the trailer after a blowout.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
As noted above, Lonnie is our resident tire expert. I put on the same tires he not only recommends, but has on his Montana...Bridgestone Duravis 500s...LT235/85R16.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Update....we got 5 brand new Marathon tires today (needed the spare also). We would have preferred the Goodrich G614 but they didn't have the right size for us. Price was good. I read some of the comments on the Marathon. We usually buy Firestone products for the truck. When you are in a pinch you have to go with what there is. I hope we get good service from the Marathons. Mostly hoping they weren't made in China!! Thanks for all the good advice.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote