Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
Monty and the wind...

We are now in Clovis, NM... the DW says there are going to be winds up to 50 mph tomorrow.. Does anyone know how much wind the Monty will stand before it tips over...the DW would like to know..
lfw

lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
It will take more than 50 mph before the Monty does much more than rock. Ask a lot of people including newcomers, how well they survived in Quartzsite this year when we had a major thunderstorm come through. Gusts tend to accentuate the rocking, and we had quite a rock and roll time, appropriate for our age group, I'd say. If one had gone over, there would have been a domino effect. We all survived with some exciting memories.

It's a lot more comfortable to be headed into the wind, although the toppers flap more. Some people like to keep the truck hooked up to help stabilize things. A few have even pulled in their slides. I seem to remember only one person reporting someone blown over, and that was in a park, and I don't know if it was a Monty.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
Thank you for your response. This is the "DW" ......... I have been worried about the wind. We've been in 35 to 40 mph wind and felt the Monty rocking but I have no idea what wind velocity it will tolerate.

Thanks again for your response.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I live 13 miles north of Clovis, NM and have the same trailer you have. It has been through much, much higher winds than we are expecting tomorrow, and never flipped yet . I'll admit though, there have been times I wondered how it stayed upright.

How long are you guys going to be here? Maybe we could get together for dinner or something.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We have been in 80 mph gusts on the side and while it was exciting there were no problems
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
TO: LonnieB

We are at KC campground in Clovis. We leave tomorrow for Santa Rosa State Park. However, if you'd like to meet for breakfast ... we can do that.........

Have you been to Santa Rosa State Park??? Is it nice???

Thank you soooooooo much for your info. I did learn something tonight ( I'm the DW not lfw) in bad weather: close the slides.....

Let us know........ Thanks bunches for your info......
Old 03-31-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
It would be nice if some manufacturing company like Keystone would step up to the plate and do a wind test on these things to see just how much wind it would take to blow one over, slides in and slides out from both sides. Because I know everyone on here would really like to know. And I also believe that everyone on here has been concerned at one time or another if they have ever been in very high winds. I know the conversation came up this year in Quartzsite about this and the slide toppers in the 50+mph gusts that we had down there at times.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I was in Ohio when the winds from hurricane Ike came thru, on Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. Winds were clocked at just above 60 mph sustained and higher gusts. Makes a heck of a racket with the slide toppers, could not keep the sewer hose in the ground, rocked and rolled alot and we finally pulled in the slides and jumped in bed (woo-woo), but no tipover and no damage. I think they will withstand quite a bit since most of the weight is near the ground. I think 40 mph is nothing to think about. I don't even bring in the awning at that amount....Trailer must be facing the right way, of course.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:11 PM   #9
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Breakfast sounds good, unfortunately though, tomorrow is the first of the month and I have tons of statements to get out. I do appreciate the invitation though.
I have never been to Santa Rosa State Park (too close to home to consider a get-away) but I hear it is a nice place.
I hope you enjoy your stay here in The Land Of Enchantment. There are many many unique things to experience in our state, especially if you get off the beaten path a bit.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:23 PM   #10
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
ATTN::::: LonnieB

Thanks for your response. .(remember.... I'm the DW)......lfw is retired..... but I still work ... online.

Take care...... and thanks again for your reponse. Be safe out there...........
Old 04-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #11
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
I used to RV in a sail boat so my wind strategy will be; slides out on the windward side only to about 60 mph, slides in (luffing) in anything over that with rig pointing into the wind to about 85, and under the truck with the DW and pups over 85 with the monty cut loose.

We spent a day on the edge of a hurricane in a class C motor home while our boat (on stands) was awaiting a next day launch. It was fully rigged with the 65' mast up and sails stowed on the rig, not the best situation. Winds reached about 60 mph

This was a very large heavy 38' boat so we were shocked to find on the next day that it had moved about 10" sideways, stands and all. I have no idea why it moved sideways instead of simply tipping over (its natural mode of movement). 'Twas a miracle mateys.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We were in that same general area a couple of years ago with similar winds. IMO there is a difference between a stationary camper and one being pulled down the road with winds hitting it in any direction. Those wind socks along the road were starched and truckers were saying the winds were 50mph +. I did not like the way the camper was being pushed around so we pulled over. When I opened the truck door the wind sucked me out of the truck.We are in no hurry and I would pull over till the wind let off a bit. jmo
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:15 AM   #13
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
When the big winds went through Yuma this Spring the truckers were told to get off roads. Some did not and were blown over East of Yuma and two years ago one of the guys in our park had his blown over and winds were around 40. He now is a beliver
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We are in Cordes Junction, AZ, about 80 miles south of Flagstaff. The winds have been steady 30-40 MPH today and gusts to 55 according to Weather Bug. It is supposed to pick up a little more before abating. We are rockin' and rollin' but don't feel endangered. We did add another night because we won't tow in this type of wind but tomorrow should be much calmer. We camped in 65 MPH gusts in the Smokys a few years ago and all was well then, too.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #15
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
We are now in Williams, AZ.. Lots of wind here... 30 to 40 mph is what they are telling us.. Just sitting here with all the noise the awning over the slide makes.. Leaving here in the a.m. for Kingman for a night then off to Hoover Dam..
lfw
Old 04-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #16
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We will be in Williams tomorrow. Looking at Hoover Dam for next Monday. Just missed ya!
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:32 AM   #17
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
HI Keep in mind that the construction on the Dam, will hold traffic up for one hour or more. During the blasting. As we traveled from Kingman Az., to Leeds Ut. We saw a Hwy sign saying no Trucks, Trucks and Trailer allowed, so we went around hwy 93 to 163 and then 515 to 1-15. Only 6% grades not bad at all.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We just recently towed several days of gusting winds stated to be 25 to 35 sustained with gusts over 50. They were mostly quartering headwinds hitting us off the port quarter. There were no handling issues or white knuckle moments, even when the road turned a bit and we were taking a direct hit. The only damage we experienced was to the pocketbook (lousy mpg (under 10 mpg) despite holding speed to 58 to 60 mph).
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #19
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
We came over the dam today.. my guess is that we had about a half hour delay.. not bad.. I think there was more of a delay going from Boulder City over the dam..
We are now in Las Vagas for a couple of days before heading to St. George UT...
lfw