Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #21
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
They are all good. Get the biggest newest one you can afford and enjoy it.

clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #22
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Montana Sky, yes you should be complaining to the Dealer. Both the 6.4 and its tranny are indestructable, take a look at u-tube and what Spartan are doing and getting out those motors and trannys.
The allisons behind the Duramax is limited to 500 Horsepower and beyond that the trannys will not take any excess without failure. All three manufactures are great, but we stuck to Ford as we love the ride, quietness and overall handlability. We have a great Dealer that supports us as Fleet buyers so price was very attractive with rebates that we could not attain with the other two manufactures. We have made some modifications to the trucks exhaust system and electronics to attain a higher horsepower. With that change transmission shifting along with performance is superior especially while pulling. Through this transition our Dealer again has been very supportive and that's priority one for us. Try and take each truck out for the weekend and even tow with it before making that final decision as it's a huge investment and you want to make sure your happy with your purchase. All the best!!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:29 AM   #23
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have to disagree with 8e3ko as for Duramax failure. We have traveled to and thru about 90% + States in the lower 48 and have never actually seen or know anyone who has had a Allison Transmission failure. But as anything man made it can fail. There aren't any of the Big Three that has more than 500 hp unless there has been a gadget added to the OEM equipment. But I understand that people like different Trucks. I would never add a gadget to OEM equipment. Because the GM Duramax/Allison doesn't need and more HP or Torq, but I guess some Trucks do need more HP to get the Job done. Also be very careful if you do add a gadget for more HP, if you have a Power Plant failure and any of the Big discover you have added a gadget to increase HP you may have just bought a $12,000 Power Plant. But if you do decided to buy a GM Truck, don't worry about having to add anything for increased performance. I have ofter wondered why Ford has had 4 or 5 different Diesel engines in the last 10 years or so. Again I recomend the GM Trucks and good luck with your choice. GBY....

P.S. Has anyone on the Forum had a Allison Transmission failure on this Forum and if so what kind of gadget were you using???????
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:53 AM   #24
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
There isn't a mechanical device made that can't fail. What makes a transmission good is having the lowest number of failures. Even the venerable Allison has had some. A good forum to look into this may be found at DieselPlace.com but there are probably others.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:56 AM   #25
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Sorry guys, I knew this would create a little competition, and I should have noted that these were in racing competions that are in the 500 plus horse power ratings and on race tracks up in our area. Up here in the north west we have some of the most extreme weather, plus some of the most challenging tests for the Super Duty trucks in the good old Oil Patch. These vehicles run 24 hours per day 365 1/4 days of the year, so any truck gets the true Super test, of mud, snow, rocks, tarsands (abrasive)and extreme weather fom -40 to +90 through the seasons. It is very interesting to watch what survives, what are common failures, and what are the popular models in various applications, let alone what modifications are needed to keep them running and performing. Also we must remember that a great majority of the new diesel trucks are chipped and modified in some way by the younger generation. This is not only engine mods, but all other items like, grills, lights, oversize wheels, tires, lift kits, etc. that could affect warranties and warranties must go on. Again it depends on your Dealer and their support for you as a customer. Their job is to sell and service vehicles to keep the manufactures of vehicles and parts in business now and in the future. i am off my soap box and again I will say: take your time, test drive all three, go back and do it again, get a number of opinions from actual owners in your area, before you make that plunge. It is a huge investnment so you ant to ensure that you can be prud and satisfied with you decision and purchase. Best of luck. Great discussion!!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the advantage of belonging to several camping organizations, Five to be exact and over the years we have seen many trucks, many campers and talked to many people. They all fail..No matter what your individual experience has been...they all fail.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #27
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I too have seen Allison transmissions fail at around the 5oohp mark. I have also been witness to a high hp Ford (also around 500hp) drop its crank shaft on the 1/4 mile strip. You can push any of them to the breaking point.

I wonder why some people turn a good thread into a peeing match.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:16 AM   #28
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Greenenergy
Go drive both several times, they are both great trucks.

Tom S
I love your parie dog picture. Are you a varment hunter or just like the picture. I'm a long range varment hunter. 1000 yards.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:56 AM   #29
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks Mike for making the statement about turning a good thread into a p--ing match! I made the same comment way back in the thread when it first started. I knew it would turn into this since others have posted nearly the same questions and with the same results. When it comes to TVs it's all up to the individual and his/her feelings on specific brands and nothing else. They all have their good points and their bad and it's up to the buying individual on what he/she wants and see in each! OK, I'm off my soapbox!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:41 AM   #30
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
After having my truck in the shop twice for the lack of power and what I would consider "excessive shifting" the folks at Ford cannot seem to figure out what is going on with my 350. On a positive note, after 4 new navigation systems, they finally were able to fix that and the sat radio. It is great to have non-stop music again. Might look into taking the truck to Omaha or Chicago to one of Ford's big diesel dealers...maybe they will have an idea of whats going on. I do admit, I like the conversations this truck starts at the fuel pump. Folks just cant stop talking about it. While I miss my Chevy, I'm not 100% unhappy I switched to the Ford.

Rich, please let me know if you read anything that might help me or the dealer solve this mystery. I had them check for the regen code you sent me and my truck was current. Appreciate the heads up!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:52 AM   #31
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I really don't consider difference's are in anyway a Peeing contest, we just have to agree to disagree. We should and can post our different experiences with each question. The OP ask what experience has had with Ford or GM Trucks. All that I comment on was my experience. And I agree I have been of the Diesel place web both with the 3500HD and the Chevy Kodiak 4500. And got a lot of good info. I also have read the Ford site also. I certainly undersand why a person doesn't want to post negative comments on a $30,000 to $60,000 Truck. But a Honest person will post his/her Honest opinion. GBY...
Old 11-07-2009, 05:42 AM   #32
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
My opinion is that these types of threads accomplish no purpose. That is the most I will ever say with regards to any post asking about truck preferences and the other topic that cannot be satisfactorily addressed - weight issues.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:16 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave..The latest I have is TSB 09-19-10.The lack of power thing may be you are still in Durimax mode.. Your year Durimax was a sport car compaired to the 08 Model diesels. As for lack of power towing we have plenty of power. We have pulled Fancy gap and would have to slow down to see 45MPH.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #34
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Greenenergy
Go drive both several times, they are both great trucks.

Tom S
I love your parie dog picture. Are you a varment hunter or just like the picture. I'm a long range varment hunter. 1000 yards.
Lynwood
Thanks - I took the picture at a campground in Saskatewan, Canada, about 20 feet from our site.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #35
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
The reason I made the peeing comment is because I really doubt that the OP wants to tow with a lot of mods to his truck. In stock form they are both fairly reliable and will do an excellent job. I havn't heard of any of the big three having major problems like transmission failures or engine failures. Trying to tow with major modifications requires the driver to keep one eye on the pyro and one on the road and one on the engine temp. Wait the driver will need help, I guess that is what the co-pilot is for.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #36
Dmaxdon
Established Member

M.O.C. #8452
I am a Ford lover from the time I learned to drive in 1964 in a 1955 Ford pickup. I bought eight brand new Fords from 1975 on and loved them all except for my 2004 lemon 6.0 PSD. My 95 and 2000 7.3 PSDs had been flawless. Ford took the 04 lemon back and let me order an 05 Ford F350 V10 gasser. It was a great truck but was totalled in an accident and I could not find a V10 to replace it and the factory order window was closed so I took a leap of faith and bought an 08 duallie Dmax Chevy LTZ with all the bells and whistles. Great so far but only time will tell. I now sell RVs on the west coast and see and talk to drivers pulling our products in from Indiana. 90% Cummins, Duramax and PSDS making up the rest. In the newer DPF engines, Cummins and Dmax getting close to the same mileage with like sized RVs, Fords are harder on fuel.I really hope the new in house Ford PSD is a great success and maybe will own another Ford some day.They all have their strong and weak points.
I also hope to see diesel duallie offerings from USA built Toyota, Nissan, and Honda some day.
Dmaxdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:10 AM   #37
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dmaxdon
[brI also hope to see diesel duallie offerings from USA built Toyota, Nissan, and Honda some day.
We might hope for that, but I'll bet the big three are dreading the day that it happens.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:24 AM   #38
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Toyota's and Nissians, Toyota already has a 1 ton prototype but it will not proceed in puting it on the market and they don't have a Diesel that has the Capacity to handle a large 5th wheel. They see the nagative toughts by some who don't have a clue about Diesel Trucks. They will turn to green cars which very few want and didn't buy in the past. The problem for Electric is having a place to plug those things in. GM tried Electric cars years ago and in the end crushed them up. Now with all the tax break they will do it again. I don't know as if we will ever buy another Truck (Diesel) but it would be a Duramax/Allison. GBY....
Old 11-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #39
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dmaxdon

I also hope to see diesel duallie offerings from USA built Toyota, Nissan, and Honda some day.
Since my pension comes from GM, I'd rather not see that.