Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
TV vs Extra Vehicle

We just finished a month long stay at one CG. Even though we met friends there and only had to drive our truck every other day, we put nearly 1,000 miles on the TV...just in and around miles.

This trip is an annual one for us and next year I'm thinking we should take the DW's car for our 'run around' vehicle. I'd rather have those extra miles on the car rather than the TV. What does everybody else do in this case?

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We take the Honda Accord on our winter trip to Florida.It is a 1100 miles one way trip. I normally drive the rig and Helen drives the Honda. I am not happy about having to drive the rig all day but it is worth it not to have to drive the CC,LB F-350 Dually around here every day. Example. We have been here since Oct 18th.. Put 17 miles on the truck.....233 miles on the Honda.. Most of that 17 miles on the truck was to go top off diesel fuel and return.Last year we put less than 800 miles on he truck in 6 months and that was because we ran it once a week to move the parts around.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
We just returned this week from our annual week in the Florida Keys. D/W took her vehicle because she towed a boat which got good use. The extra vehicle was also used for all running around and sighting seeing trips. Unless we towed a boat I don't believe we would take her vehicle because of gas and tolls which added up quickly.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Delaine use to follow in the car but with her eye condition it got to be just to much for her. So we decided we would change Trucks and get a small towable car. Delaine did a lot of research on the type of car, she found plenty of small cars but most didn't have room fo my dog Montana or were not towable 4 down, or to heavy. The Chevy HHR filled the bill, it didn't hurt that we had owned one before. So we are double towing. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

Delaine use to follow in the car but with her eye condition it got to be just to much for her. So we decided we would change Trucks and get a small towable car. Delaine did a lot of research on the type of car, she found plenty of small cars but most didn't have room fo my dog Montana or were not towable 4 down, or to heavy. The Chevy HHR filled the bill, it didn't hurt that we had owned one before. So we are double towing. GBY....
If you kept that research on what vehicles are towable four down, I for one, would appreciate seeing it. Might save me, and others, from doing the same research.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Most..if not all Honda's...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Towed a Chevy 4WD truck....but not all could be towed.. It had to have a certain model transmission. Check with the Chev. dealer and they can tell you what Chev can be towed. Also Drive Shaft Disconnect verified the model on the transmission as towable. Not sure the exact name of the Drive Shaft Disconnect company.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
When we go to Az for the winter I drive the truck and 5er and usually tow the quads behind that. My wife drives her GMC Canyon and we use that for a run around vehicle. With the extra vehicle we are never left without wheels to go someplace. If we go into Oregon or Washington the little truck is used to tow the quads. The Canyon is also cheaper to service and buy tires for.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:16 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Tlightning, Well Delaine did throw away her research papers. But you can Google Blue Oz Towing and put in the Vehicle and it will tell you if its towable. Roadmaster also has a lot of information.

Most all vehicles, I say again MOST standard transmissions are towable 4 down. All wheel drive and 4x4's you just have to ask the manufactor. Many of the Honda's are towable, Suzuki, Kia's, Jeeps etc. There are several GM Cars and Trucks such as GMCa Arcadia, Buick Enclave, Malibu, Chevy HHR. Didn't look at Ford or Chyrlser.

We were looking for something light, lots of options, cost and room for our 88 lb dog "Montana". Most all foreign cars didn't have the room or were to heavy, and didn't have the options we have. And out mileage is 28 to 32 mpg. And the cost was much less than the competition. As I said before we had owned a Chevy HHR and knew it was a great little car and fun to drive, it also has 8 Air bags and you only have to remove the number 8 fuse before towing. The HHR doesn't changeo mileage numbers when under tow. Blue Ox and Roadmaster make a Tow system for the HHR, both are about the same price. We found the Braking system to be the biggest expense. We had our system installed by Camping World, and they did a Professional Job. We might have went with Blue Ox but they wouldn't tell us what the install would cost. Camping World gave us the price for everything up front, but they did have to order the System. Took about 5 hours for the install. Hope this helps. I will say double towing isn't for everyone. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote