Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
duchieno

M.O.C. #9015
Suggestions on what to buy?

Thank you for you nice welcome. We are still in the shopping stage. I am a little concerned about the lengths in the Montana's. We are looking at 3400RL, 3465SA, 3605RL and 3665RE which all are about 38 feet. We have usually "camped" in state parks and national parks, not RV parks. Any experiences in getting a 38 foot rig around in the park type settings. Any suggestions on what we should consider. We are looking at new 2009, as used seem to be very limited. They have knocked about 35% off the MSRP on each model. Should I hold out for more? Thank you. Orin

duchieno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:57 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our 06 3400 is 39 feet 3 inches long and with the slides open 14 feet wide. It is a big camper. You may have some problem in the State and National parks with that size camper. As long as you call ahead and tell the RV park what size you are you will not have a problem. 35% off list (whatever that is) is good..this is s buyers market you may be able to do better.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:17 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Each state is a little different - Here in CO we stay in many of the improved state parks without any issues, but the National Parks are still a little primitive here. The smaller parks seem to have been designed around the 22-ft Dodge Class C (some of them are still camped there ).

As Rich said, you just have to ask around, call around, and experience first hand. The bigger handicap is the slide width, not the length. Our 2003 2955RL fit in more of the parks with trees, but because it only had slides on one side, not because it was 5-ft shorter. Keep a log for return visits and mark the sites you might like better next time out.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:52 AM   #4
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
We got our 3465SA in july. As someone has already said make sure that CG knows how long our camper is. Before that we camped mostly in the state parks. That is more to our style of camping. The Monty being 38' cuts down on the number of sites that we have to choose from, but so far it has not been a problem.
BTW we love our Monty.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:55 AM   #5
Fjkiss
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6278
Orin, I would hold out and see what this new year brings. ck with the parks(go there)you camp at and see how a big (38'-40') camper manuvers through them. We love our rig and all the ROOM inside. take your time and find the one that is right for you and yours. Frank
Fjkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The size of the Montanas is a disadvantage only when selecting a CG, but once you are set up for a while, all the room is nice.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
You need to check the State Park regs where you are. I know in Washington, most won't allow anything more than 28". The Monty does limit where you can stay to a certain extent.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
While we have never stayed in a state or national park because we are worried we are too long; we prefer privately owned parks. That said, I have manuevered in some pretty tight private parks. Just last month, while stopping for the night, I had to ask someone to move their truck (it was in the, 'ehmm, road) so that I could swing wide to avoid an overhanging tree limb.

My wife and I prefer commercial parks mainly for the amenities that are offered and consider the few dollars paid for this as a good trade-off to the, perhaps, cheaper government-sponsored alternatives.

Now, to answer your question to the best of my ability - look, look, look. When you find the floorplan that seems to fit your lifestyle requirements, sit in it for a few hours and imagine yourself in it full time. Can you get all the stuffs you need in it? Then, when you finally figure out that every floorplan has a trade-off of some kind, pick the one you like the best.

Good luck!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #9
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Hey Michael ,, when are we getting a new pic of the rig , or are you saying its about time we put our new rig in the form,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:08 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Michaels' (snfexpress) last paragraph in his above post says it the best.Every concern that you have should be considered however it is more about what you need and your comfort level than which campground you can fit into.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:19 AM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We are fulltimers and living in a 2980RL. We like our smaller length because it allows us to NOT stay in the RV parks, we like the state campgrounds when possible, we dry camp whenever possible to save money, and we like the ability to fit into those smaller places. Many state and federal parks will advertise the shorter lengths, we have never found one we couldn't get into; sometimes it takes several attempts at positioning the rig.

Yes, we have been in some tough places, but being aware, having the tools to be able to move a branch here or there, is well worth the effort.

There's something about the roar of rushing water, the sound of the surf, or the crackle and warmth of a campfire, the scenery or maybe the moon glow; we prefer nature's sights and sounds to the activities in the RV parks. Some people prefer to have 50 amp power. You have to decide on your type of RVing lifestyle.

Like Michael, I don't have a problem asking someone to move their truck so I can position my rig. In most cases, it is the best solution to keep from possibly damaging their equipment.

Good luck with your choice.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:30 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Orin, I always tell folks that they need to define their RV’ing style prior to making a purchase. By this I mean: What kind of camper are you? Will you be full timing? Do you like to set up camp and stay a while? Are you constantly on the move? Are you a nature buff? Do you prefer the city life? Do you want solitude when you camp? Are you one that can’t do without ALL the creature comforts? Are you planning on going on long trips?

As full timers, we tend to stay places a little longer, we like our comforts, we enjoy some solitude, trees and picnic table is fine. Although we started out in Alaska, we are now in Florida and will be traveling up the East Coast this summer. Our goal is to see the US and in no particular hurry. We are members of 1000 Trails which allow us a three week stay, if needed, at their campgrounds; we are also retired military so we use the Fam Camps also. I could not imagine living in anything smaller than our 3400.

If I was trying to fit in as many locations as possible into a given amount of time and moving constantly, I might consider something smaller, but that is not the case. I have stayed at some nice RV parks that I could barely get into and some Corp of Engineer parks that were tight also. I have never NOT been able to fit somewhere, of course, we call ahead first to determine if the park is big enough for our trailer. We have not used the State or Federal Park system so I cannot help you there.

Again, try and define your needs and wants then GO FOR IT!!! Happy RV’ing!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:13 AM   #13
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
As you can see we have a 3400RL and the thing about towing these rigs is that you need to know where you are going before you go. We have made a few wrong turns when traveling between campground and have had to make some very tight turns. Once we drove through a fast food Drive-Through...glad it was a double wide drive through. We have found that there are very few Washington State or Nat. campgrounds in western Washington that we can fit in. Most of the campgrounds here were made in the 1950s when a large trailer was 20'. Good luck in making your choice, we sure love our 3400RL.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote