Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Not So Good Same ERS

Just a heads up. I had a flat tire a month ago at our campground storage. I had just gotten the Good Sam ERS ad in the mail. So, after changing my first flat, and hearing so many good things about Good Sam, I went ahead and joined. So, last night, after finding a flat I went and called Good Sam. After calling them, I found out I had a break in at the trailer and called Good Sam back to tell them not to come. They said just call in the morning and they'd leave the ticket open. So, I had the bright idea to bring my air compressor out in the morning. Thought if it'd hold air that I could at least give them more room to work. Well, there was a puncture in the sidewall. I called Good Sam to have them send out the tire changer and in the conversation I said the tire was slashed during he breakin. Then they told me, since it was the result of vandalism, they could send someone out, but payment would be my responsibility. After clarifying the situation (I was dumbfounded), to say the least. I don't see how it should make a difference whether it was caused by a screwdriver, knife, nail, something on the road, etc. Just one more thing to add to the adventure.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
To bad Good Sam insurance isn't any better than the rest. I have the ERS too, so far I havn't needed it. Better luck next time.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:16 AM   #3
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
The claim should have been made against your trailer insurance policy..send them the bill...I would side with GS on this one..tis a mischief not as result of a motoring incident..
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:07 AM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I agree, we have had GS ERS and haven't used them but one time and they were very efficent. Sorry for your disappointment with ERS. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:23 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Having been an insurance salesman, I always encourage folks to read the exclusions to coverage. The old saying, "What the right hand giveth, the left had taketh away" applies. I am not surprised that Emergency Road Service does not include vandalism. Unfortunately, vandalism is probably excluded by most EMS providers.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:02 AM   #6
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
This is news to know. I didn't know that vandalism was not covered either. We have used GS ERS three times when we owned the Montana's and a Terry 5th wheel. Every time, they were there and changed the tire for me at no charge. One time for a flat and twice when the tires started separating on me. We still have it on our motor home.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:36 AM   #7
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Ron & Terri,
Sorry to hear about your problems. I hope that things work out OK. I have AAA for towing/labor on my autos but not for my RV.

I could be wrong about your situation, but it sounds like the problem you are having is why I always recommend an RV policy, with contents, (replacement cost) including road side service/towing and labor. (I have been an insurance agent for over 30 years.) Doing this gives you one company, one adjuster and one claim. The RV & contents (tire,etc) is subject to your deductible. Towing and labor is not subject to a deductible.

It can be a little more expensive doing this way. There is some duplication of coverage but IMHO, it's the better way to go. I hope I am not rubbing salt in the wound but I know several folks that use their auto insurance for the RV, their homeowners insurance for the contents and an ERS company for their towing/labor thus 3 claims and two deductibles. Come claim time, nothing is coordinated and the hastle can be great.

Again, I hope this works out for you....it's no fun. Stiles is right in his previous post....don't let them steal you joy!

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:14 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
So, if you had just said you have a flat, it would have been fixed at their cost?

Hmmm!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Generally, ERS does not repair flats, only changes tires.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #10
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Waynem got the point. I'm not talking about fixing the tire, I'm talking about "changing" the tire. Now, since I wasn't there and neither was anyone else, how can we be sure I didn't just pick something up in the sidewall while driving to the spot? Second, Good Sam stands for Good Samaritan - it's not State Farm, Allstate, RV America - It's Good Sam. The point is, when I really could have used some assistance, they exclude it. I have been unable to find the fine print - either in my documentation or on the web where it says - "if you get a flat from mischievous damage, we won't change your tire. You "must run over something to be covered." Just curious if there are other exclusions that I'm unaware of like they don't cover things in months without an R?
Old 08-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
"Hello, Good Sam? I recently was storing my RV when I hit a piece of iron in the road. It must have flipped up and punctured the sidewall. You'll be right there! Thank you."

Isn't that the way it is supposed to go?

Edited: Not very honest, but when you consider what you have to pay and then you get nothing, well, just remember, what goes around comes around and do what your conscience tells you to do.

The Devil made me do it! The Devil made me do it!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:29 AM   #12
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
When you pay the fee for a service like ERS (any company) and you dont use it for three years, Have you wasted your money??? If you have a situation like mentionned above is it immoral? dishonest? or justified because you have paid 3 years for no return.....
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:15 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wiarton William

When you pay the fee for a service like ERS (any company) and you dont use it for three years, Have you wasted your money??? If you have a situation like mentionned above is it immoral? dishonest? or justified because you have paid 3 years for no return.....
No, you haven't "wasted" your money. It's like any insurance--you have it in case you need it but otherwise it's just money wisely spent. In your case, I don't understand why they didn't cover you. It just doesn't make sense to me. I think I'd be trying to talk to someone "in authority" about "why" they didn't cover it. Most of the time we get answers from people who are only following scripted replies when we call them.

We have the "Camping World ERS" which is basically Good Sam and we've never had any problem having service provided to us.

I know this doesn't help in your case but maybe a call to the right people may give you some satisfaction. Or at least give you an answer that you can pass on to the rest of us. What a lot of companies don't understand is that the best advertising they can have is "word of mouth." If you're not happy you'll tell others who will tell others, etc., etc.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #14
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I sent them an email, but haven't received a reply yet. It will probably take a few days. I also saw where they accept testimonials. I offered one, but don't think you'll see it in their literature. Am I Bad! They caught me in a moment of weakness.