Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Teaching drivers I 90 & I 80

Well after being together for the 2 week vacation, one of the goals was to have the other 3 drive the RV. This has been accomplished and with flying colors. My son 22 drove a couple times for a couple of hours on I 90 and along some other routes in Wy, SD, Mt. He has no problems with this combination and is backing the rv up as I type this. (Backing into its storage space here at home is blind sided backing. & he can handle it. Now I can already here, Dad can I borrow...)

My daughter drove across the state of IL from just inside the Iowa line to Joliet. No problems and is confident see wants to drive again. The same and more can be said for Pam my wife. She took over from Joliet to home all while the traffic kept getting busier and nasty. She's driving the speed limit for IL 55mph and a few cars are passing, blowing horns & giving hand signals & approvals for construction sites. It didn't phase her. both my son & I were watching and she was always in her lane and driving correctly. Has to be Chicago and holiday weekend attitudes overflowing.

So first major lesson is over and all is well. Matter of fact it is better than well as the are inspired and ready to go again. Now there is nothing holding these 3 back from driving. Just a few lessons in backing up for the girls and they'll be good on there own.

Oh no what have I started here. I may never see my truck or RV again.

Oh yes I will. Dad the trucks on empty or can I have a few extra bucks to cover the camping fees.

As long as I've got it they're welcome to it.
That's what being a Dad is all about.
Chuck

lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
WOW, now, that is a great post!!

WHAHOOOOOOOOOO to the ENTIRE family!

WOW!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Chuck, Great job, now you can sit back and be chauffeured while being on vacation
You have to remember those IL drivers don't understand the 55mph for RV's as the trucks keep up with the auto traffic and the auto's are all doing 10MPH+ over the posted limit. The only good thing is they will not pull in front of you and slow down, they CAN NOT stand to go that slow
Bob (ex-Chicagoan)
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Chuck,
Could you take my wife on your next trip? She hasn't drive ours yet and I'm sure you would be an inspiration for her. She is a good cook.

p.s., I'll help with expenses - but not much.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well wew went to the keys of fl a week ago or so and sharon drove across alarigator ally as its called so i think its great as we came on to I 75 alagator ally ,,, at hy 29 as they call it down here and went through 2 rest stops and i think that was a great begining...since she has had both catarac done she now sees what i talk about ,, its a new world ,,,,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Now that makes traveling a heck of a lot more enjoyable..Helen has been driving the rig since day one and it sure makes for a more restful trip and you can cover more distance if need be.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
When we get the Monty back next fall-winter,yes I need to teach Mary how to drive also. It will be a learning experience for both,her driving the truck with the camper and me keeping big mouth shut.
Chuck, I believe you meant Iowa. I hope you enjoyed your trip through Iowa and hopefully you stopped and smelled the roses.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Hazmic, Ya Iowa or if I'm typing Iwoa. I got all the letters in there an everyone understood just fat fingers on the keyboard. No harm no foul just good ribbin.
Chuck
Old 05-27-2008, 06:37 AM   #9
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Chuck,
Could you take my wife on your next trip? She hasn't drive ours yet and I'm sure you would be an inspiration for her. She is a good cook.

p.s., I'll help with expenses - but not much.
Wayne, here's a little different spin on the suggestion. Let me know when & where your next weeklong trip is a if I can make it we'll see if the final request can be solved. (My wife would have to come along.) As long as we're taking your rig and your expense $ then it may work. Ha Ha.
Chuck
Old 05-27-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Chuck
I also have the fat finger problem. Know what you mean. Was you through Iowa on Sunday?
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:34 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Chuck,
I think you read to much into my proposal!!

I did 311 miles today and it whipped me up! Not really, but it is tiring to say the least. I know if I had a MH she would drive. Maybe I can get her into a "Big Rig" class Room some day.

Of course, where the wife goes, I send the dog along also.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #12
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hazmic

Chuck
I also have the fat finger problem. Know what you mean. Was you through Iowa on Sunday?
Yes WE went thru on Sunday. We landed home 5 or 5:30pm cst.
Missed all the Iowa weather. Sorry to see other people suffering.
Chuck
Old 05-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #13
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Chuck,
I think you read to much into my proposal!!

I did 311 miles today and it whipped me up! Not really, but it is tiring to say the least. I know if I had a MH she would drive. Maybe I can get her into a "Big Rig" class Room some day.

Of course, where the wife goes, I send the dog along also.
Wayne when your out on a trip find a section of road with very little traffic & let her try it. I saw that the interstate was still lightly populated so I had the kids drive. I asked who wanted to drive? My son was the first to say he wanted to try it.

That's half the battle make sure they want to try, then make sure they're confortable. I like the interstate because it is the widest and most gradual with grades curves etc.
Hope this helps,
Chuck