Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2007, 01:53 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Bright shade in face.

Every morning I wake up to bright lite blasting through the "night shade". Is there a way to darken or replace that shade with something darker? I usually end up with my other pillow slapped up against it in the morning. We avoid the light blast from the skylite by hanging a dark towel over the shower wall... Dave and Betsy

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:59 AM   #2
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
When I work out of the trailer on nights I bought double sided foil bubble wrap cut it out put it in all the bed room windows and the only light that still snick's in is around the slide seals.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:18 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Next question is where do you get this foil?? I have seen it in use but not in stores.. Dave and betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:59 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sue made a Black fabric cover, attached Velcro to the fabric and mounting. We have it on the big escape window and the small window by the bed.
She made a Black fabric covered foam square, we shove that up into the opening by the shower.
She also has a reflective truck window cover she cut down, and it is Velcro'd to the shower opening to the skylight.
Nice and dark in there.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:55 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I guess we are odd. When it gets light outside, we get up and stasrt our day.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:16 AM   #6
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Don't use the aluminum bubble foil from Home Depot or Lowes. After a few months it at the bottom of the window. Don't ask me how I know this.
We got ours at Camping World. Its heavier and holds up. Keeps cold out in winter, heat out in summer and light out during the day.
Come in two different widths that you can cut to size of your window.
Works for us.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:25 AM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We have an extra pillow or two that works for us.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:45 AM   #8
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Just move up to Canada this time of year............. it doesn't get light until it is time to get up .
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:32 AM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Same here...we must be odd, too.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:40 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

More oddballs here too. We also go to bed when it gets dark, that helps the gettn'up part easier. There's nothing like sunrises except sunsets!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I would expect that you could order for your 5er what you order for your house. We have cellular blinds. One set in the back bedroom of the stick house has a black inner liner. The only light that gets through is on the very side. I believe "Bali," was the manufacturer. We bought the stick house blinds at Lowe's. Just recently I purchased a 30" by 24" for the bathroom window. They will cut to size. Installation should beeasy. All you need to start is a heavy wallet. It will be lighter if you replace all of them.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:29 PM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We cut down a vehicle aluminum/bubblewrap sunshade (found at Wally World), stapled some velcro around it at about 6-8 places and bought some sticky backed velcro and put it on the ceiling around each vent/skylight to match the sunshade. Just stick up the sunshade to the velcro and you have a solid winter or summer insulator and a light shield. I've also got several pieces of furniture foam that are cut to the skylight dimensions I keep in the closet incase I really want to shut out the light and heat in the summer! I'm thinking of putting some of the reflectant film (which comes in various darknesses) on the windows of the bedroom before heading out next spring to darken it also. If you have more ideas let us know!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:31 PM   #13
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We cut down a vehicle aluminum/bubblewrap sunshade (found at Wally World), stapled some velcro around it at about 6-8 places and bought some sticky backed velcro and put it on the ceiling around each vent/skylight to match the sunshade. Just stick up the sunshade to the velcro and you have a solid winter or summer insulator and a light shield. I've also got several pieces of furniture foam that are cut to the skylight dimensions I keep in the closet incase I really want to shut out the light and heat in the summer! I'm thinking of putting some of the reflectant film (which comes in various darknesses) on the windows of the bedroom before heading out next spring to darken it also. If you have more ideas let us know!
Old 12-15-2007, 12:32 PM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
OOPS Posted my last reply twice!
Old 12-15-2007, 12:43 PM   #15
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We use the foil on the skylights and on the window next to the bed we use a black towel draped over the shades. On the escape window we use nothing OR a pillow from the bed.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:59 PM   #16
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Before we had the second air conditioner I bought the bubble wrap from CW. I installed it in all of the windows with velcro. It works well on the skylight and the emergency window. I left the small window uncovered so we can get a little light in to know when it is daylight. A friend bought a thin sun film that he cut for his TT windows. I may try that on the skylight just to get rid of the silver square on the skylight. The film just sticks to the window without glue or velcro. I am thinking that you could put two layers of the film and be just as dark as the aluminum bubble wrap.

When we aren't using the Montana I place the aluminum bubble wrap in the windows to help protect my blinds from the Texas sun. We don't keep the Montana under cover yet. That is on the to do list.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #17
mtnhntr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6254
I do it the cheap way. Just take cardboard and cut it to fit. It is free, easy to put up and easy to store.
Ken
mtnhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:35 AM   #18
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
We paid a visit to Wally world and bought some black velvet looking cloth and some half inch velcro. Cut the cloth to completely cover sky lights and put the velcro on the outter edge. Bingo dark room in which you could process 35 mm film. That side window by the bed got the same treatment.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote