Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2007, 10:48 AM   #61
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Rich, just info for you. I Have some buddies with NEW ford big powerstrokes that put a ton of mile on them already. So i ask about milage and stuff. They tow Goose Necks with small cralwers or Back hoes all over Georgia. There words were, "H*LL, had the same stuff on mine till i got miles on it and broke'er in. (Southern Red Neck Speak) I"d wager when you get over 15,00 it wil smooth out and better milage to. Its just not Broke in yet.

Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #62
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Bah...I was looking forward to Rich's report...unfortunately we have to wait some more...sure hope they get you sorted out.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:37 AM   #63
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
well my shinny new 08 6.4L truck is at Jarrett Gorden Ford just off I-27 , Davenport, Fla. Diesel guy, John, a good ole boy from South Texas with 30+ years fixen diesels. Listened to my list of problems, ran his finger around my tailpipe. black soot, wet.. and said "YOUR TRUCK IS BROKE" Major issue a Cracked DPF. They will have to order one but meanwhile will do a complete set of diagnostics and upgrades. . He said low MPG is the norm on the new 6.4L. He highly recommended a centene booster as they have checked the fuel in this area and found none over 40 which is the min for any kind of MPG and performance.Said Ford is aware of the "blowing white smoke issue" but have not come up with a fix yet. He will run a OASIS report on it to see if anything has been done to it....It is a early build 08.. He said he will get it running as well as it is capable of.I am actually a happy camper that they found problems with it.. Oh the cracked/Malfunctioning DPf will cause it to regenerate more frequently and cause a loss of MPG and performance.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:55 AM   #64
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I have not read the full 7 pages of comments and claims on fuel mileage, but I have had my 2000 F-350 7.3 dually since it was new. I had a few problems in the first couple of years, the No. 8 injector was the problem, at least that is what the mechanics pointed to and fixed. Each time they worked on the truck it seemed the mileage went down.

I got 13mpg pulling my 2000 3255RL, the MPG went down to below 10. I purchased a superchips programmer and it kicked up the performance and MPG to around 11 pulling, I don't drive enough to check not pulling.

I am pulling a 3670RL now, a little heavier than the 3255RL but the mileage is around the same. I have a 373:1 rear end and do utilize a computer to figure out my mileage. I use the old fashion way of tank to tank and number of miles.

rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:23 AM   #65
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
What is a DPF?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:59 AM   #66
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
DPF Diesel particulate filter.. Part of the new emmission standards in the 07/08 diesels and where the regeneration process takes place. It is a bad thing if they are not functioning properly. Thse MPG numbers can only apply to the NEW diesels..the ones that have to use ULSD and go through the regeneration process. MPG of any earlier diesel motor is comparing apples and oranges.. and it will not get any better.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:02 AM   #67
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
DPF.. Diesel particulate filter on order will be here in a couple of days. I am told that the truck will be ...All that it can be..when it is replaced...08 6.4 drivers.....if your tailpipe is black with soot....you have a big problem. In fact any diesel of any brand that has the new emmission standards...if your tail pipe is black with soot.....you have a big problem with your DPF. There are no black tail pipes with the new emmission standards..that is what regeneration is all about.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:03 PM   #68
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
One of the reasons of crack DPF is using fuel other than ULSD. I almost made that mistake yesterday.I think fuel pumps should be better marked. We have to read label carefully to determined is
this right grade. How about gas station attendants do they know
what fuel is right for particular vehicle. Many times those people
can't speak English.
Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:56 PM   #69
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The diesel guy said that my DPF was no doubt bad from the get go. We have been very careful about the fuel we use but you never know if they are labeled right at the pump.