Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
Montana_5885

M.O.C. #5885
New 5ers in Ala

Hello, wanted to stop in and say Hi....we just got our 3400RL Montana last Wednesday. This is our first RV and boy did we go BIG! Have been happy with it, but am now wondering if the dealer messed us over. The Keystone Sales rep was more than helpful with our questions (much more informative than the dealer, lol). Anyway, after talking with Mike at Keystone, we decided to buy a late model 2006...according to him anything built after Late Oct..aprrox. the 20th, would have all the new features of the 2007. Features like the Dynaspan Marine grade subflooring and cedar in the closet and the new cap design. We called the dealer in the town we were buying from and requested to know which models were either 2007 or 2006 built after Oct. 20. He told us he had only 2..a 2007 and the 2006 we bought (which was supposed to have all the new features).

During the PDI, we forgot to ask about the cedar (I assumed it was the wood in the 2 shelves in the closet)and tonight after reading posts to cajama15, I visited the RV dealership link in Fla, just for the heck of it, to see other models. Low and behold they had the 2006 3400RL with pics and it showed the closet....FULL of CEDAR! My unit is not like that even tho the salesman said it had all the new features. NOw I'm beginning to worry that we didn't get one built in March as he said...altho it does have the new cap design. I went to the paperwork and looked thru everything....there is nothing there about the Dynaspan floor! Have loved my Montana to this point, but I'm really gonna be ticked if we didn't get what we were told we were buying.

Does anyone have a late model 2006? Does it have the cedar closet and how would I know if it has the Dynaspan subfloor? I went out and looked inside the storage area and it looks like OSB....at least I think...I'm not sure what the Dynaspan is supposed to look like, other than it is glued perpendicular like plywood (according to Keystone). So now I have to be on the phone first thing tomorrow and find out! I'm sooo worried that we have been rooked by the dealer and guess we should have asked at PDI, but he has already assured us before hand that we were getting all of it. The main reason we bought that model was the lifetime warranty of the Dynaspan flooring!

Other than that I love my Montana and look forward to giving it a try! Sure I will have lots of questions over the next few weeks as we prepare for our first trip.

Montana_5885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:03 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Sheri,

Welcome to the MOC.

I'm sure you have a great unit, Dynaspan or not. It's been my experience that half of the salespeople in some dealerships don't have the foggiest idea what they are talking about. One unit we bought a few years ago the guy didn't even know how to turn the lights on. Mind you he was a very nice guy and I would probably deal with him again. Having said that, it would not be right if they were trying to deceive you. Not sure what you could do about that.
I used to own a building supply and there is nothing wrong with OSB ( oriented strand Board ) It is multi layered ( like plywood )and they use water resistant glue when manufacturing it. Not many, if any people on this site that would tell you that you were wrong buying a Montana, Early or late 2006. 3400 is a great layout, enjoy.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:22 PM   #3
Montana_5885

M.O.C. #5885
Thanks J&D, and I know I have a great unit, either way...it's just after all the research, the Dynaspan is stronger and has a different glue than the OSB and the Lifetime warranty, and that was the main selling point for us, as far as this unit, but not for the Montana (we would have bought one anyway). If it does not have it, there is probably nothing we can do except be disappointed and know next time to not be so excited that we forget to verify instead of taking a salesman's word, not meaning he did it deliberate. If I had not called and asked specifically for that and told him I had talked with Keystone, I wouldn't give it much thought. I am however, hoping I am wrong and that the floor is what we wanted and they just left the paper work for it out of the home....I can live without the cedar closets, lol, or add them myself. A call on Monday will answer all my questions.

As for the unit, I love it either way! We spent many days, weeks and hours looking, searching the forums for advice, etc. and making many trips to look at different brands or even different Keystoe models, not to mention all the hours on the internet...but we always seemed to come back to the Montana, which is what we first looked at. Just to give an idea of how mch we liked the Montana's...the one we bought was the one I looked at the least...didn't even make any notes about it, cuz I ever expected the hubby to fork out that much money! So basically buying it without even remembering what the inside looked like proves we were hooked on a Montana...of any kind.

I'm kinda like the person here in the forum said....I felt that I knew more about the product than the salesmen! It was soooo hard deciding which one was best, we liked sooooooo many of the floor plans....the flooring was the deciding factor (and of course teh open living area. Plans are for the hubby to retire in a couple years and then hit the road for months at a time! Hopefully by then we'll know what we're doing!

After reading lots of posts here, it seems everyone is very friendly and helpful...much more so than other places I've been. I look forward to meeting more of you and exchanging tidbits.

Dreamin (the greenhorn RV'er in the south)

pulling the 3400RL with a Ford F250 4x4.....don't nderstand all the other stuff you guys list, lol, I just know it tows it, has a towing package of some sort and 4 AUX switches that we haven't figured out what to do with yet.
Do you think the truck will pull it ok in the Rockies?? We're heading that way next month!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JH Sechelt

Welcome to the MOC.

I'm sure you have a great unit, Dynaspan or not. It's been my experience that half of the salespeople in some dealerships don't have the foggiest idea what they are talking about. One unit we bought a few years ago the guy didn't even know how to turn the lights on. Mind you he was a very nice guy and I would probably deal with him again. Having said that, it would not be right if they were trying to deceive you. Not sure what you could do about that.
I used to own a building supply and there is nothing wrong with OSB ( oriented strand Board ) It is multi layered ( like plywood )and they use water resistant glue when manufacturing it. Not many, if any people on this site that would tell you that you were wrong buying a Montana, Early or late 2006. 3400 is a great layout, enjoy.

J&D
Montana_5885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Sheri,

Your F250 will pull it just fine.
Just make sure you have a large enough size transmission cooler.
And go easy up and down the long hills. Too many people try to go too fast pulling some of these large rigs.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:19 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome Dreamin to the MOC family. Unless Keystone has changed it you can find the date of manufacture on the sticker on the left outside just below the bedroom slide. Or you can call Keystone Customer Service (866-425-4369) with the VIN# they will tell you the date.

Many MOCers are using the same F250 TV as you have without any problems. Since you have the tow package no other changes are needed. But like J&D said "go easy up and down the long hills. Too many people try to go too fast pulling some of these large rigs". Use a bit of common sense and you'll be fine.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:46 AM   #6
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Congratulations on your new unit, even if you missed some of the "goodies" the Montys are loaded up and I'm sure you'll be happy.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:02 AM   #7
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Congratulations and welcome to the forum.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:35 AM   #8
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Dreamin, Congratulations on your new Montana! Welcome to the group! Can't imagine Not having the MOC family for support and ideas. Dano & I got our 3000RK last September. We didn't get the "new" things, but somehow it doesn't even matter (we didn't know it at the time anyway). We don't really like the new cap because I think it would take away from the closet space in the bedroom "upstairs". I like the 2 shelves that are in there. I use that space for the big blanket and extra sets of sheets. Enjoy!!
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations, Dreamin! On the F250, the four auxiliary switches on the dash you are talking about are next to the builtin brake controller, right? If so, then you have either a 2005 or 2006 F250. You didn't say what engine but if you have either the V10 gas engine or the diesel engine then the 3400 should fit within the truck's ratings. You should have no problem at all. If it helps you be more comfortable, we're towing a Montana that is heavier than the 3400 with a 2005 F250 diesel. We used to tow it with a 1999 F350 V10 gas engined Ford and it did a good job also.

I understand your comments about the dealer and wanting to know if you got what he promised you. I would feel the same way. If it turns out he deceived you, at least you can be comfortable in knowing you got a great fifthwheel anyhow. Good luck. I hope you enjoy it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:13 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our 3400 was built April 24th 06.It has the cedar in the closet (back wall and all the new features..never heard of the marine Dynaspan flooring and would not know it if I saw it..Interesting tho..we are well satisfied with our 3400..however you should be getting whatever you ordered. Do not accept less.If the salesperson said it had Dynaspna flooring, whatever that is then it should have dynaspan flooring same with the cedar closet.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:46 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have not heard of this either. Dynaspan flooring? Our 3400 is due to be built July 10th. Does that mean we are supposed to have this flooring - and what's the benefit?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:53 PM   #12
pasha26287
Established Member

M.O.C. #5815
Send a message via AIM to pasha26287 Send a message via Yahoo to pasha26287
Just bought 3400RL 2006. It has full cedar in closet and burgandy awning. We love it and hope you enjoy yours as much as we are enjoying ours. I agree our salesman said ours was 37 foot well guess again It measures 39.3" Wow the Long Long Trailer. We pull it with a new chevy duramax deisel and allison trany. RVnLuvn it
Bill and Marge
pasha26287 is offline   Reply With Quote