Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2006, 02:07 PM   #1
Surfer44

M.O.C. #5655
RBW Lil Rocker

We're getting our 2001 3280 Montana delivered Friday morning. I would like to have my 04 F350 LB ready to go when it arrives.
We will get the 15K RBW Lil Rocker hitch with it ( but no bed rails). I have heard and called the RBW factory that the Reese bed rails will fit, but I'm a bit hesitant about drilling everything and having them NOT work. I went to Camping World and several RV places nearby and no one could tell me if REESE bed rails were compatible. Any one have experience with this problem? Worst case scenario, I'll order new rails from RBW in Chino, CA.

Surfer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:57 AM   #2
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Worst case scenario might be the best choice in this case. One intangible is peace of mind. Or at least check on price of OEM parts as opposed to mix and matching. I have a 16K Lil Rocker and it is a very good hitch as far as i can tell. Good luck to you and hope you enjoy your rig.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:40 AM   #3
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
They fit fine. I had Reese rails and a different brand hitch in my TV and bought a used Lil Rocker. It fit the existing rails without any modification. I like the side to side movement of the Lil Rocker compared to the old hitch when going over rough ground and hooking up with the TV and trailer on uneven ground.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:33 AM   #4
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Don,

Let me know how you like your Lil Rocker, we used to have one and always had fits unhitching with our old trailer. When we switched to the Reese no problems. I have to believe it was the hitch, if that's how Lil Rocker's worked for everyone they wouldn't be in business.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:48 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Mac
We've used the Lil Rocker for 15 years. Was on our first TV and then transferred that over to the 2nd TV. When we bought the new '06 GMC we decided he should have a new one. Our RV tech we have used all these years swears by them and that is what he put in the new TV. Never had a problem.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:51 AM   #6
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I haven't had any problems with the Lil rocker. Hitching and unhitching seems much easier especially on uneven ground. The only thing I noticed is the latches that allow the plate to rock will spring load back to the locked position easily and I prefer to keep them unlocked. Not a real problem but something I need to inspect regularly. I also painted the pin lock bar white so it shows up better and I can tell at a glance if it has locked or not.

Great hitch!
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:04 AM   #7
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Don,

I figured as many of these as they sell it must have just been mine, but now having both and having such problems with the Lil Rocker, I much prefer my Reese. I'll stick with it until I upgrade trucks and then I'll probably buy the SuperGlide or easy glide or whatever the short bed solution is called.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 01:34 AM   #8
Surfer44

M.O.C. #5655
Well I just installed the Lil Rocker yesterday. It turned out to be about a seven hour job because I don't have my pneumatic tools and a lot of my "good" power tools to do the job.
It was pretty straight forward except I used grade 8 bolts for the frame instead of grade five.
The last bolt (bottom one one the frame behind driver) took over an hour to get installed because of a fuel and brake line that were close and the fuel tank makes it hard to get your hand in the frame. I was able to manuever them out of the way and finally got it done,
I'm installing the Kenosha Prodigy today and hope to pick up the Montana for a short test drive and cleaning.
Surfer44 is offline   Reply With Quote