Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2020, 03:17 PM   #21
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
Topcoat F11 is a great product for making your vehicle look good, however it realistically has a 3-6 month life so it will require multiple applications per year to maintain. I use it on my Tesla however I also have a ceramic base, For me it adds a little more shine and depth. For a fiberglass RV it is pretty expensive considering the short life. If you apply a sealer 1st then apply F11 it will extend the life of your sealer which should be at least 1 year. If you want protection longer than 1 year then Nano Ceramic costing is recommended but that is very expensive for a RV. Unless you have Full Body Paint on your RV regardless of what you use there will not be a mirror shine as gelcoat is very porous.
So then, what sealer would one recommend before the application of F11?

Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:28 PM   #22
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Myers View Post
So then, what sealer would one recommend before the application of F11?
I use two one is the Ethose which is infused with ceramic, i use that as a base, then I use Meguiar's M21 Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant which is top 5 choice of Motortrend and Paint Sprayer Magazine. So I use two coats one of each. Thes e are both wipe on let set 10 min wipe off very easy to do, in fact I did mine over the weekend.

There are a lot of of great choices, also consider Wolfgang Paint sealant and also one of the better products.

Ethos
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Meguires
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mirr...sprayingmag-20

Wolfgang (note this would be more for Full Body Paint)
https://www.amazon.com/Wolfgang-Conc...sprayingmag-20

Also keep in mind to start a good regiment of sealing your 5er, you need to do good prep either Clay-Bar, compound, or oxidation remover. Once you have a good base and you use a synthetic sealer (above) it is a matter of re applying annually and maybe claybar every other year.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:11 PM   #23
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
just pick one and get on with it:-)
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:43 AM   #24
rsaylor3
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24033
Lights out, how many bottles of that ceramic wax does it take to do a 40 ft fifth wheel?

Appreciate all your advice in this thread!
rsaylor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #25
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaylor3 View Post
Lights out, how many bottles of that ceramic wax does it take to do a 40 ft fifth wheel?

Appreciate all your advice in this thread!
I just did it this weekend and I used 2/3 of a bottle for my 41' 3791RD.The I I added a 2nd coat of the Maguires Sealer on top of that, same just shy of a full bottle. So I have to coats of protection both designed to last a year or slightly longer.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:08 PM   #26
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
Are these sealers safe for the decals? Safe to apply over top and seal them also? Hopefully to preserve and make them more resistant to the sun...
Old 04-15-2020, 02:07 PM   #27
rsaylor3
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24033
Thanks! I have always read and had good luck with McKees 37 products. So I just order there new Nautical One One-Step Ceramic Polish. I think similar to what you are using. Plan on using it on the Montana and my boat.
rsaylor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:09 PM   #28
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaylor3 View Post
Thanks! I have always read and had good luck with McKees 37 products. So I just order there new Nautical One One-Step Ceramic Polish. I think similar to what you are using. Plan on using it on the Montana and my boat.
I have used Mckees on our boat in the past it is a very good product

Keep in mind all these Ceramic Wax.Sealer products are faux Ceramic and not the actual Nano Ceramic Technology none the less the ceramic sealers are great for annual applications. Mckees does have a nano Ceramic but you would have to order 3 times the stock qty to do a 5er.

For any of these products to work ceramic or not you need to start with good prep.

Also note you can wax/sealer over ceramic but you cannot nano ceramic over wax/sealer.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:16 PM   #29
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Myers View Post
Are these sealers safe for the decals? Safe to apply over top and seal them also? Hopefully to preserve and make them more resistant to the sun...
RV decals have a life on only 5-7 year, Do not wax them although some sealers silicon or teflon based are ok, that will also block some of the UV that destroys vinyl stickers.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:28 PM   #30
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
RV decals have a life on only 5-7 year, Do not wax them although some sealers silicon or teflon based are ok, that will also block some of the UV that destroys vinyl stickers.
Thank you
Old 04-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #31
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
Nothing is safe regarding the decals. They are going to come off no matter what.
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:05 PM   #32
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinbaja View Post
Nothing is safe regarding the decals. They are going to come off no matter what.

My old 2008 Montana was terrible. My friends 2015 Big Country is spotless, you would think it was a new fifth wheel. Graphics have no signs of peeling fading etc.
He waxes it once a year with Liquid gloss Poly Wax, and Rejex on the front cap. Apparently not all graphics are created equal. They are also full timers, and have been all over this country including Mexico, near the ocean ,and that salt air for months at a time. That Poly wax sure doesn't seem to be hurting anything.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:55 AM   #33
Sweetrig
Established Member

M.O.C. #23059
I got a little lost following the overall process. Do you wash the RV first with Mr Pink, then follow up with the clay bar?
Sweetrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:42 AM   #34
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I used Nufinish for years, recently changed to Meguiars Cleaner Wax. Very easy on and off, and no white residue. Less than $7 at Wally World.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:10 AM   #35
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetrig View Post
I got a little lost following the overall process. Do you wash the RV first with Mr Pink, then follow up with the clay bar?
Always wash first that will keep the dirt out of the claybar, a dirty claybar will scratch. Make sure you use a good claybar lube also. You will be amazed how easy claybaring is as well how smooth your surface will be.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:48 AM   #36
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
To wash your rig, taking it out in a good rainstorm seems to work. For waxing - not needed unless you are really bored.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #37
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
To wash your rig, taking it out in a good rainstorm seems to work. For waxing - not needed unless you are really bored.

Any waxing/sealiing if you have dirt on your vehicle it WILL scratch it, washing is a mandatory step. Otherwise the dirt on the RV will get in your applicator or rags and scatch your finish (both gelcoat and paint). 95% of the surface on a 5er is vertical whereas rain does NOT wash dirt off very well at all. Also if you are treating your RV right now there is a lot of Pollen in the air that will stick to your vertical surfaces which need to be washed off as rain will not. I would hate to see someone follow that advice and end up with fine scratches all over there Montana especially the Full body paint.

Also note if you are sealing your stickers not washing will wear on them prematurely.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:54 PM   #38
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Lightsout,

You appear to be missing the point. If you don't wax there is not a lot of need to wash. A good rainstorm will get the bugs and dust off once a year. Sun does much more damage than dirt.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:59 PM   #39
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Lightsout,

You appear to be missing the point. If you don't wax there is not a lot of need to wash. A good rainstorm will get the bugs and dust off once a year. Sun does much more damage than dirt.
You are correct if you do not care what your RV looks like. Sealing your Rv also protects form the suns UV, prevents yellowing of the gelcoat, keeps the dirt from compacting in the pores of the gelcoat. You are correct if you do not care is simply does not matter.