Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2020, 06:59 PM   #1
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Why do I need an Inverter?

I'm trying to get my 3820 set up for boon docking and was wondering why I would need an inverter. If I don't care about running the microwave, Fireplace, or A/C, won't a couple of 12v Lithium batteries or a bank of 4 GC2's work with a small solar panel to keep the batteries topped off? I have the propane/12v Norcold fridge and an old stovetop percolator for coffee. Any insight would be appreciated!

allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:03 PM   #2
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
If you don’t need 120v for anything, then you don’t need an inverter.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:01 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The opposite is also true. If you want to use 120v for anything you will at least need a small inverter.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:02 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I have one I hardwired in the truck. Find it invaluable, example: in a storage area, can use a compressor for tires, electric handtools for repairs, buffing, charging batteries, etc.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:11 AM   #5
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Just carry a small 2000 watt genny if you need 110
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:16 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
The only reason to have an inverter is to power anything you may want to operate that requires 120 volt AC power. For over 30 years we carried a 400 watt cigarette lighter plug in type inverter in our vehicles. We used it for a LOT of stuff, when camping and when traveling ... including powering the air pump for fish when traveling! (really).
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #7
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenclme View Post
I'm trying to get my 3820 set up for boon docking and was wondering why I would need an inverter. If I don't care about running the microwave, Fireplace, or A/C, won't a couple of 12v Lithium batteries or a bank of 4 GC2's work with a small solar panel to keep the batteries topped off? I have the propane/12v Norcold fridge and an old stovetop percolator for coffee. Any insight would be appreciated!
I suspect you may have some confusion here; solar panels charge batteries no matter what type. This in turn powers everything in the 5th wheel that is 12v including the fridge and USB outlets. An inverter has nothing to do with charging the batteries but only exists to "invert" the 12v battery power into 110v.

My understanding is that the new Montana's "solar prep" (included in ALL models in 2021) come with several outlets prewired for an inverter. This includes one by the bedroom dresser, the popups in the kitchen counter, the power recliners and the TV cabinet. This is a huge feature!

Now, if you don't want to watch TV or use the power recliners, or charge laptops, or use any other small 110v items -at all- then no inverter needed ;-)
If, on the other hand, you do want to add a small inverter, it should be extremely easy to wire in as the biggest challenge has been to get power from the battery area run to the outlets that are inside walls... problem should be now basically solved; unless you need/want different outlets to run off battery power.

Background; we ran a 600W inverter on our last 5th wheel, and that ran the TV cabinet just fine. I also had one outlet in that cabinet that was on the inverter so that I could charge my laptop. The inverter was enough, but barely. Also, I had 2x Trojan 6v golf cart batteries (225ah total) with 300 watts of solar panel (2 large panels). That was barely adequate when boondocking in cooler weather where the RV furnace had to cut in several times each night. It was not enough to last if the weather was cloudy even for a day, so I carried my Champion 3400 generator... this time I am planning on 500 watts of solar and 2x 100ah lithium (200ah total, but can be discharged well past 50%). I still may carry the generator as we go to AZ and at times boondock when the AC needs to run.

Hope that helps!
Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:38 PM   #8
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Inverters

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
I suspect you may have some confusion here; solar panels charge batteries no matter what type. This in turn powers everything in the 5th wheel that is 12v including the fridge and USB outlets. An inverter has nothing to do with charging the batteries but only exists to "invert" the 12v battery power into 110v.

My understanding is that the new Montana's "solar prep" (included in ALL models in 2021) come with several outlets prewired for an inverter. This includes one by the bedroom dresser, the popups in the kitchen counter, the power recliners and the TV cabinet. This is a huge feature!

Now, if you don't want to watch TV or use the power recliners, or charge laptops, or use any other small 110v items -at all- then no inverter needed ;-)
If, on the other hand, you do want to add a small inverter, it should be extremely easy to wire in as the biggest challenge has been to get power from the battery area run to the outlets that are inside walls... problem should be now basically solved; unless you need/want different outlets to run off battery power.

Background; we ran a 600W inverter on our last 5th wheel, and that ran the TV cabinet just fine. I also had one outlet in that cabinet that was on the inverter so that I could charge my laptop. The inverter was enough, but barely. Also, I had 2x Trojan 6v golf cart batteries (225ah total) with 300 watts of solar panel (2 large panels). That was barely adequate when boondocking in cooler weather where the RV furnace had to cut in several times each night. It was not enough to last if the weather was cloudy even for a day, so I carried my Champion 3400 generator... this time I am planning on 500 watts of solar and 2x 100ah lithium (200ah total, but can be discharged well past 50%). I still may carry the generator as we go to AZ and at times boondock when the AC needs to run.

Hope that helps!
Brad
Thanks - all of the replies helped. I think in ours the only AC we'd want to run would be the TV/Blu Ray Player Jura, and recliners. We were thinking of swapping the TV for the 12v. Jensens, but the reviews weren't great. I have a solar charging plug on ours in the plumbing center, but were told that can only handle a small solar panel, not what we'll want for keeping 2 GC2's charged. So it sounds like when we add the solar, we'll want an inverter as well. I had no idea I'd be doing so many home improvements on my 5er . I think I'm going to bite the bullet and look at the lithium batteries as well.
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:14 PM   #9
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired06 View Post
I have one I hardwired in the truck. Find it invaluable, example: in a storage area, can use a compressor for tires, electric handtools for repairs, buffing, charging batteries, etc.
You use an inverter, drawing power from your batteries to charge your batteries?
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:43 AM   #10
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenclme View Post
Thanks - all of the replies helped. I think in ours the only AC we'd want to run would be the TV/Blu Ray Player Jura, and recliners. We were thinking of swapping the TV for the 12v. Jensens, but the reviews weren't great. I have a solar charging plug on ours in the plumbing center, but were told that can only handle a small solar panel, not what we'll want for keeping 2 GC2's charged. So it sounds like when we add the solar, we'll want an inverter as well. I had no idea I'd be doing so many home improvements on my 5er . I think I'm going to bite the bullet and look at the lithium batteries as well.
On other threads on this forum regarding the factory solar, the company (Jaboni) has replied that the installed wiring from the roof is enough to add about 500w of solar as long as it is a 24v system.

But, again there are 2 different "solar wiring" on the new Montana's ...
-the one in the plumbing center is for connecting a portable 12v solar panel, which are typically 50a to maybe 100a. I agree with you that this is likely the max and not enough to keep a pair of GC2 batteries charged up

-the second is the factory solar wiring, and where some real benefits of Montana's in the past few years comes in... there is a solar connector on the roof ready to connect permanent solar panels, with 10ga wiring dropped into the basement, just behind the rear wall of the storage bay. This is where a solar charge controller will be mounted (they recommend a 24v PPT controller). Also, from that area they have run 10ga wires to the batteries.

This video should help,

So, good news for what you want... all new Montana's come with the wiring to get you started. That will save you hundreds of $$s, and even makes it a pretty straightforward DIY project...

BTW, because we are ordering a new 2021, I will be getting the factory "Solar Flex" package. We were quoted ~$2k CAD, or ~$1500 USD. I think it is good value as it includes the PPT solar charge controller, a single 265 watt/24v panel, and a Magnum 2000w inverter (inverter alone is worth about half the price of the whole kit)

Have a look at the video and hope that helps you with your decision!

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote