Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2020, 09:44 AM   #1
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Dually Wheel Problem?

I have a 2017 Ford F350 diesel dully long bed super cab with a little less than 20k miles. I was experiencing a loud squeaking sound, and found that it was coming from the overload springs rubbing against the rubber stops. After cleaning with WD-40, I sprayed a coat of dry lube on both the springs and rubber stops and the squeaking noise was eliminated. But while confirming that the squeaking noise was gone by rocking the truck from side-to-side, I noticed a popping sound coming from the wheel hubs (both sides). I could place my hand on the wheel hub cover and feel the popping. At that time, I had a travel trailer connected (1000 pounds tongue weight) and probably around 400-500 pounds of stuff in the bed. With this load, only the rear of the overload springs was engaged. I could not replicate the popping sound with the truck unloaded or with the 5th wheel connected. Although with the 5th wheel connected, I could hear a faint squeaking sound not coming from the overload springs. This is the first dually I have owned so not sure if this is normal. Is there some play built into dually wheels for load distribution, or other reasons? Again, both sides made the same noise maybe. Would like to get some feedback before I take it in to local dealer. After the response I got from them when I called about the loud squeaking noise, I don’t have a lot of confidence in their service department.

Hope I made sense with my description. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:22 AM   #2
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
That does not sound good, especially if you are sure it is coming from the hubs.

It does not sound like your problem, but Super Duty's are bad (I have had 8 of them) about making a clunking noise when the overload springs contact the stops. If your truck is loaded so the overload is just shy of making contact with the stop, you will hear a constant clunking; every time you go over a small bump. Drove me crazy until I figured it out. The solution (if it bugs you) is to have a good spring shop add a leaf or two to the main spring stack and toss the overloads in the trash. Not real expensive; I did this on all my company trucks.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:35 AM   #3
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
That does not sound good, especially if you are sure it is coming from the hubs.

It does not sound like your problem, but Super Duty's are bad (I have had 8 of them) about making a clunking noise when the overload springs contact the stops. If your truck is loaded so the overload is just shy of making contact with the stop, you will hear a constant clunking; every time you go over a small bump. Drove me crazy until I figured it out. The solution (if it bugs you) is to have a good spring shop add a leaf or two to the main spring stack and toss the overloads in the trash. Not real expensive; I did this on all my company trucks.
I had just lubricated the overload springs and bump stops to silence a loud squeaking noise coming from them when I discovered the popping noise. And as my son-in-law was rocking the truck from side-to-side, the rear overload spring was hitting the rubber bump stop. Possibly that vibration was traveling down to the axle and then to the wheel. With the bumper pull camper hooked up was the only time I could get it to make that noise. Wouldn't do it unloaded for when the 5th wheel was hooked up.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:53 AM   #4
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
With the travel trailer, you might be loaded just right to make the noise as the overload hots the stop (I don't remember them being rubber). With the 5th wheel, they are already resting on the stops. Unloaded, the overloads will not come close to the stops. Not saying this is your problem, check it out.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:11 AM   #5
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
With the travel trailer, you might be loaded just right to make the noise as the overload hots the stop (I don't remember them being rubber). With the 5th wheel, they are already resting on the stops. Unloaded, the overloads will not come close to the stops. Not saying this is your problem, check it out.
That's kind of what I'm leaning to. And with the travel trailer, only the rear of the overload springs were hitting the bump stops. And yes, they are a hard rubber mounted to the bottom of a heavy metal "L" bracket.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:19 AM   #6
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Pop the hub covers off & check the torque of the lug nuts. You do have a torque wrench, don’t you? You should be checking your truck & trailer lug nut torque on a fairly regular basis anyway.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:53 AM   #7
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Yes, I do have a torque wrench, and do check the trailer wheels but haven't the truck. I torqued my hitch and pin box bolts to eliminate noise makers.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:54 AM   #8
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N OH View Post
Pop the hub covers off & check the torque of the lug nuts. You do have a torque wrench, don’t you? You should be checking your truck & trailer lug nut torque on a fairly regular basis anyway.
How hard is it to pop the hub covers off. I had read where it isn't easy. I guess that's why I have tried yet.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:30 PM   #9
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Not easy, but you should practice. I find the 2x4 method works and carry the stuff with me. Others will say they call a service truck; I'd rather do it myself.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...p-removal.html
Old 07-08-2020, 01:50 PM   #10
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Not easy, but you should practice. I find the 2x4 method works and carry the stuff with me. Others will say they call a service truck; I'd rather do it myself.

[URL="https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1539802"[/URL]
Do you just mount as shown and then start tightening the strap? I have been in the "call someone" camp if on the road.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:31 PM   #11
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
Do you just mount as shown and then start tightening the strap? I have been in the "call someone" camp if on the road.
I put one hook under the cap, the other to a spring hanger and tightened it. Once it is putting pressure on the cap, a little tug with a hook tool popped it off. I dug around the shop and made a hook tool to fit; not hard.

Some say just get a couple hook tools and pull it off; maybe a gorilla could do it, but not me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-08-21 16.33.23-2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	610.4 KB
ID:	6793  
Old 07-15-2020, 01:55 PM   #12
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...p-removal.html
My tire shop had 2 guys at the same time trying to pry off one of my 17 F450 hubs. They told me to just leave them off. Now I will stick a 2x4 in the tool box, already have lots of straps. Thanks to the OP of that trick!
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:18 PM   #13
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
Don't use oil on rubber. CRC makes a rubber friendly lubricant or 3-In-1 rubber conditioner like https://smile.amazon.com/3-ONE-Care-...-mkt-edg-us-20
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:57 PM   #14
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
I have a 2017 Ford F350 diesel dully long bed super cab with a little less than 20k miles. I was experiencing a loud squeaking sound, and found that it was coming from the overload springs rubbing against the rubber stops. After cleaning with WD-40, I sprayed a coat of dry lube on both the springs and rubber stops and the squeaking noise was eliminated. But while confirming that the squeaking noise was gone by rocking the truck from side-to-side, I noticed a popping sound coming from the wheel hubs (both sides). I could place my hand on the wheel hub cover and feel the popping. At that time, I had a travel trailer connected (1000 pounds tongue weight) and probably around 400-500 pounds of stuff in the bed. With this load, only the rear of the overload springs was engaged. I could not replicate the popping sound with the truck unloaded or with the 5th wheel connected. Although with the 5th wheel connected, I could hear a faint squeaking sound not coming from the overload springs. This is the first dually I have owned so not sure if this is normal. Is there some play built into dually wheels for load distribution, or other reasons? Again, both sides made the same noise maybe. Would like to get some feedback before I take it in to local dealer. After the response I got from them when I called about the loud squeaking noise, I don’t have a lot of confidence in their service department.

Hope I made sense with my description. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Do not use WD40 0n rubber it dries them out, WD40 was made to displace water or moisture, It is death on rubber bushings. Don't spray WD40 in slide out rubber moldings either it kills them, dries then out and they will split.
Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:10 PM   #15
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flyer View Post
Do not use WD40 0n rubber it dries them out, WD40 was made to displace water or moisture, It is death on rubber bushings. Don't spray WD40 in slide out rubber moldings either it kills them, dries then out and they will split.
I just sprayed enough to clean them off, and then wiped them dry. I then used dry lube for the lubrication. It is supposed to not attract grit like a grease or oil will.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:48 AM   #16
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
The name WD-40 means Water Displacement formula #40. Dixie Flyer is correct, WD-40 lubricates and removes water drying out the surface.

https://www.thoughtco.com/wd-40-1992659
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:58 AM   #17
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by StageCoachDriver View Post
The name WD-40 means Water Displacement formula #40. Dixie Flyer is correct, WD-40 lubricates and removes water drying out the surface.

https://www.thoughtco.com/wd-40-1992659
I agree with both of you guys, and yes I know its not a lubricant, but is a good cleaner. I used it because my truck is almost 3 years old and I had not cleaned/lubed (other than a water hose) the pads. After spraying with WD-40, I wiped/dried them off immediately and then lubed with the dry lube, so don't think it would dry them them out. If I had only sprayed WD-40 on then walked away, over time with multiple applications, yes I agree it would most likely cause damage. I do appreciate both responses, a lot of people do regard WD-40 as a lubricant. I'm moving the camper today, so will see if the noise is gone.