Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC on M.A.R.S. > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #21
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master
 
PNW Fireguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Arlington
Posts: 1,251
M.O.C. #18081
Tomcat in reading your last post something else came to mind for me. I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the limited ďintegrationĒ of the dc to dc charger. Some components provide greater visibility and configuration options through the Victron app than others. Since you are using drop in batteries like BB which have an onboard proprietary BMS you wonít have a user interface to provide details of what is going into or out of the batteries. I am assuming you have this but just havenít specifically mentioned it but a shunt and display like the BMV-712 is probably the best option to give you a clear picture of total amps going into and out of the battery pack as well as capacity remaining and discharge/charging rates. Just my thoughts. Best of luck with your system and letís us know how you like the Renogy dc to dc charger. I think others on the forum may find this a viable option as well.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #22
TomCat
Established Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Conklin
Posts: 39
M.O.C. #22648
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
Tomcat in reading your last post something else came to mind for me. I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the limited ďintegrationĒ of the dc to dc charger. Some components provide greater visibility and configuration options through the Victron app than others. Since you are using drop in batteries like BB which have an onboard proprietary BMS you wonít have a user interface to provide details of what is going into or out of the batteries. I am assuming you have this but just havenít specifically mentioned it but a shunt and display like the BMV-712 is probably the best option to give you a clear picture of total amps going into and out of the battery pack as well as capacity remaining and discharge/charging rates. Just my thoughts. Best of luck with your system and letís us know how you like the Renogy dc to dc charger. I think others on the forum may find this a viable option as well.
Thanks again. Yup, I have the BMV-712 and that will be part of the system. I have read some things where people recommend not even installing the display for the BMS in the main coach because "if your system is designed correctly you won't need to watch it". I'm an information junkie, and I am looking forward to watching it (or the app) just to see what's going on. Wife can watch TV - I will watch my system monitors. I will definitely report back on how the Renogy works. Looking forward to the day I can give back a little for all I have taken from you all!
__________________
Tom and Cathy
2017 Montana High Country 305RL, MORryde IS and disc brakes, battery/inverter project in the works
2019 Ford F350, SRW, 4x4 Crew Cab, 6.5' box, 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch
TomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:41 AM   #23
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master
 
PNW Fireguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Arlington
Posts: 1,251
M.O.C. #18081
We are all here to share with one another.
__________________
2015 3440RL, legacy package, IS & Disc brakes, Sailun S637's, Onan Commercial Gen, 2460 Watts Solar, Midnight Solar Classic 150, Winston 700AH/8.4kwh LiFePO4, Winegard Trav'ler & Dish Hopper3, 2011 Ram 3500 CC Laramie DRW 4x4 4.10
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #24
Jpc
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Dammeron Valley
Posts: 17
M.O.C. #24040
Here is a little information on the Renogy dc/dc charger. I have a 40A Renogy and have it mounted inside my front basement compartment. You are on the right track as far as wanting to get some ventilation in there. I have found that it will overheat when the temperatures start to get up in the 80* plus range. There is an internal high temp sensor that will shut it down and in order to reset it both the 12VDC on the inlet and outlet have to be disconnected from it. It will not simply restart when it cools off. With any luck Renogy has made an improvement and the unit now runs the internal fans to cool down and restarts the charging automatically. I still have not added any fans because the solar now takes care of the charging while traveling.

Good luck and have fun with the installation.
__________________
John and Nancy
2018 f350 SRW 6.7,Airlift 5000 w/compressor, Andersen Ultimate hitch,2019 Montana 3120RL, 4-90Ah LiFePo4, 1200W Solar with 2-Victron MPPTís, Victron Multi-plus 3000/12/120, Victron BMV-712, Renogy DC/DC 40Amp charger, Verison JetPack, WeBoost RV 65.
Jpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:42 PM   #25
Part-Time Paradise
New Member
 
Part-Time Paradise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 9
M.O.C. #25605
Following. I'm interested in installing almost the exact same set up with the same phased install plan working towards solar



Thanks
__________________
Jack

2020 Montana High Country 365BH
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 3500
Part-Time Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:10 AM   #26
TomCat
Established Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Conklin
Posts: 39
M.O.C. #22648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpc View Post
Here is a little information on the Renogy dc/dc charger. I have a 40A Renogy and have it mounted inside my front basement compartment. You are on the right track as far as wanting to get some ventilation in there. I have found that it will overheat when the temperatures start to get up in the 80* plus range. There is an internal high temp sensor that will shut it down and in order to reset it both the 12VDC on the inlet and outlet have to be disconnected from it. It will not simply restart when it cools off. With any luck Renogy has made an improvement and the unit now runs the internal fans to cool down and restarts the charging automatically. I still have not added any fans because the solar now takes care of the charging while traveling.

Good luck and have fun with the installation.
Thanks for the reply! I appreciate the information. Wow - 80 degrees seems like an awfully low threshold. Specs say the operating temp is up to 50 degrees C (122 F). I will definitely be on the alert for that. Just curious - I know it depends on the size of your array, but how many amps of charging current do you get from your solar on a good, sunny day traveling?
__________________
Tom and Cathy
2017 Montana High Country 305RL, MORryde IS and disc brakes, battery/inverter project in the works
2019 Ford F350, SRW, 4x4 Crew Cab, 6.5' box, 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch
TomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:13 PM   #27
suny07
Montana Fan
 
suny07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 235
M.O.C. #21337
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat View Post
Thanks for the reply! I appreciate the information. Wow - 80 degrees seems like an awfully low threshold. Specs say the operating temp is up to 50 degrees C (122 F). I will definitely be on the alert for that. Just curious - I know it depends on the size of your array, but how many amps of charging current do you get from your solar on a good, sunny day traveling?
Hi Tom,

you should check your unit out.
I am in the hot south east and the renogy dc dc 40Amp runs in the front compartment with temps 90-100F in the compartment without any issue.

The fans are running though but it puts nice 38-39amps through.

Mike
__________________
Montana HC 305RL
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×