Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2020, 08:31 PM   #21
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
We went over from Jackson Hole headed W towards Idaho to get to West Yellowstone a couple of years ago. At the time I had a Ram 3500 SRW SB pulling our 3730FL. I should have paid a little more attention to using the trailer brakes in some descents, to save my TV brake pads. Engine brake works flawlessly and really made the descent easy. My biggest problem was DW in the passenger seat freaking out about speed. We never went over 29 MPH going down. It is a different experience for passengers altogether - especially those afraid of heights. Altogether it is a safe road and should not be a problem for the equipment you have. I have since bought a dually and would love to make that trip again.

MaxwellD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:40 PM   #22
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellD View Post
We went over from Jackson Hole headed W towards Idaho to get to West Yellowstone a couple of years ago. At the time I had a Ram 3500 SRW SB pulling our 3730FL. I should have paid a little more attention to using the trailer brakes in some descents, to save my TV brake pads. Engine brake works flawlessly and really made the descent easy. My biggest problem was DW in the passenger seat freaking out about speed. We never went over 29 MPH going down. It is a different experience for passengers altogether - especially those afraid of heights. Altogether it is a safe road and should not be a problem for the equipment you have. I have since bought a dually and would love to make that trip again.

Your comment reminds me of a time my parents and the kids (including me) went up to Pikes Peak. They didn't do a lot of "traveling" and certainly not up mountain roads with no rails etc. As dad drove up the road the side just disappeared into a big "hole" as mom thought. She was not only terrified but just beside herself. She literally crawled into the floor so she couldn't see out. I thought it was hilarious but I know she was scared to death. Once we bought a mountain vacation home at 9k ft. we took her there. No big dropoffs (to us) no dangerous anything and by the time we got there she was on pins and needles. They were to stay a week but after 3 days I took her back because she couldn't take it. Never thought about someone being afraid of those things but have encountered a few since then that I had to take home when taking them 4 wheeling.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:36 PM   #23
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214skier View Post
Working on finalizing my itinerary for a trip to Yellowstone / Teton National Park this September. I am currently working on my route from Jackson Hole back to the greater Seattle area--we want to go through Boise. The map takes us over Teton pass --I understand there is a 10% grade on either side for a few miles.

I am pulling my 41' Montana with a 2018 F350... with engine breaking etc, does anyone see any issues with my going this route?
I just put the truck in cruise and auto engine brake. I have never had to touch the brakes. Where speed limit is 70 I set it for 60 or 65 depending on traffic. 2017 F450 and 2018 41'9" Montana. Let the computers do the driving.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:47 AM   #24
Dreamersandtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14250
east bound into Jackson

Drove thru July 10th 2020. Only problem we experienced was following a slow going dump truck. It required more braking as tow mode didn't slow us enough. I did turn trailer brake on to max 10 to assist. Large section 3 miles from bottom afforded me time to pull off & cool off. We watched several other rigs similar passing by. One was smoking rear trailer brakes! After lunch we continued safely.
Dreamersandtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:30 AM   #25
214skier
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
Hi 21skier,

I don’t any advice for but hoping I Can ask you a couple questions. I just purchased a 2018 Ford F-350 SD Crew Cab and I’m taking delivery of a 2020 Montana 3761 41’ 5th wheel at the end of the month. Since we have a similar configuration, I was wondering if you have any thoughts on how well your the truck will perform. I do not have dually. Also, I’m assuming I’ll need to get a CDL to drive legally.

I’m out in Mass. but Montana raised and if you haven’t already, I would highly recommend Glacier Park. And depending on the state of COVID, bring your passport so you can go up into Canada.

Regards,
Darrel
I am not sure the laws in Mass--but I would be shocked if you need a CLD--you don't here.

My 2018 F350 manages our 41' 5 er with ease. I have never felt over-powered or out of control in any situation. In my view, this is the perfect tow rig. You will do very well.

Best of luck to you--happy to answer any questions.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:35 AM   #26
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Your comment reminds me of a time my parents and the kids (including me) went up to Pikes Peak. They didn't do a lot of "traveling" and certainly not up mountain roads with no rails etc. As dad drove up the road the side just disappeared into a big "hole" as mom thought. She was not only terrified but just beside herself. She literally crawled into the floor so she couldn't see out. I thought it was hilarious but I know she was scared to death. Once we bought a mountain vacation home at 9k ft. we took her there. No big dropoffs (to us) no dangerous anything and by the time we got there she was on pins and needles. They were to stay a week but after 3 days I took her back because she couldn't take it. Never thought about someone being afraid of those things but have encountered a few since then that I had to take home when taking them 4 wheeling.
The fear of heights for some is really no laughing matter, as you well know. Once we decided to walk across the bridge over the Rio Grande (?) just outside Taos NM. I think it is about 700 feet above the canyon floor. We had already driven over it (just the TV) . We started off and after about 2 minutes I was walking along, talking to myself!. I turned around and DW was on all fours trying to get back to where the bridge started - visibly shaking. I had no idea and at the time we had been married 29 years! Since then, I am careful about such things. But go figure this - now she wants to go on the Road to the Sun in Glacier! That bucket list trip has now been cancelled for three years in a row for us - there must be some reason. Maybe next year?
MaxwellD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #27
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Glacier National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
Hi 21skier,

I don’t any advice for but hoping I Can ask you a couple questions. I just purchased a 2018 Ford F-350 SD Crew Cab and I’m taking delivery of a 2020 Montana 3761 41’ 5th wheel at the end of the month. Since we have a similar configuration, I was wondering if you have any thoughts on how well your the truck will perform. I do not have dually. Also, I’m assuming I’ll need to get a CDL to drive legally.

I’m out in Mass. but Montana raised and if you haven’t already, I would highly recommend Glacier Park. And depending on the state of COVID, bring your passport so you can go up into Canada.

Regards,
Darrel
Would take the longer, flatter route and save the wear on the rig. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. Less chance of Murphy screwing up your trip.

I would highly recommend going to Glacier National Park if you can fit it in your schedule. Went there last year and stayed at the KOA on the west side. Most beautiful KOA I have seen. The glaciers are half gone and in a few years they will be completely gone, so see it while you can. We didn’t do the red bus thing. We stopped where we wanted to to take pictures etc. See it while you can. Also, do not stay at the KOA on the furthest west side of Yellowstone. There is another one further East about 2 miles down the road. Much nicer park. Safe travels!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #28
Darrel
Established Member

M.O.C. #26815
Thank you so for the information!
Safe travels,
Darrel
Darrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:12 PM   #29
azeagleye
Established Member

M.O.C. #22231
22k miles in the last 18 mos. Pulled more passes than I ever could have imagined. Just take it smooth and easy using your engine brake and enjoy a bit of the scenery. No sense in white knuckling it, you'll only exhaust yourself. Pulling into Jackson is no sweat especially after you experience a dozen or so major passes. In the beginning your dw/passengers may freak out but once they see how you handle the situation they will relax as well. Mine spends most of her time shooting pics thru the windshield - great pics if I must say. Happy motoring.
azeagleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:55 PM   #30
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
We have done all the major passes, like Monarch Pass, 11,312 feet, and Vail Pass, and Teton Pass, and I have learned not to keep flooring it to not upset drivers behind me! Don't let your turbo scream, just take it easy, and keep the truck in the power curve, and if that means you are only going over the Teton pass at 40 mph, the people will not be upset, because if they were following a cement truck, or a heavy laden Semi, they might only be going 25 mph! It is about 5 miles of 10% grade going from Jackson over the top. Do not be intimidated, do all the passes in this country, just take her slow, what's the hurry? There is an 11% grade in Tahoe near my house, and we could pull our Montana about 45 over that pass, but now with my new SOB, that weighs 6,000 pounds more than my Montana, the best I can do is 36 mph. Just relax and realize people will expect that you have to go slower than them!
Old 08-23-2020, 01:55 PM   #31
ps146364
Established Member

M.O.C. #14615
I have a 2016 F-350 Super Duty towing a 2013 3400RL. Last fall we took highway 12 from Torrey to Escalante Utah. It is by far the steepest and highest pass I've ever been on and my truck handled it just fine. Along this same highway is a section called the Hogs Back and the views are fantastic.
ps146364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:23 PM   #32
Mike639
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19743
I just pulled it from the Jackson side a month ago. I have an 09 Duramax without an engine brake. I have an 04 3255RL and had no issues either way. Went slow and used the tranny to keep the speeds down.

Good luck and yes, with or without an engine brake its doable if you take your time.
Mike639 is offline   Reply With Quote