Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
maintechfotog
Established Member

M.O.C. #9293
F350 7.3 diesel chip and engine brakes

I have heard that a power chip & controller are a smart addition for towing and economy when not, and that engine brakes makes sense for heavy RV's downhill. Has anyone had experience with either?

maintechfotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
On a prior vehicle I used Banks Engineering products to improve diesel engine performance. It consisted of a module that provided the brains for the smarts you describe. Even better was the Exhaust improvements (larger exhaust pipes) from Banks that helped descrease backpressure and increased performance and economy. But DO NOT FORGET THE EXHAUST GAUGE!

On the prior truck I had the manufacturer's TOW/HAUL mode which reduced the need for an exhaust brake, but if you have the 7.3L and TOW/HAUL was not available, an exhaust brake (not engine brake) would definitely benefit you. The exhaust brake has the same affect on slowing your vehicle down like an engine brake, especially on hills, except that it brakes your vehicle from the exhaust rather than the compression of an engine. The benefit being you are not using your brake pedal as much. And you MUST pay attention to your tachometer.

I only have experience with Banks engineering "chip" and exhaust pipes and the improvements were outstanding! Your fuel economy may vary when you find your truck can now keep up with most hotrods. The looks on their faces when you catch them, pass them and you are three times their size and weight, is priceless. But I didn't do that very often, because the fuel does have a price.

In summary, they are very good additions, but don't forget about improving your exhaust pipes if not already done so and make sure you monitor your exhaust temperature accordingly.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
I agree with Art here

You need to have an Exhaust Temperature Gauge to keep an eye on those temps (especially if you're going to add a chip). They are great for adding power, and improving fuel economy, but can cause high temps (sustained over 1400 degrees is bad!)

Larger exhaust will also improve towing performance, and lower EGT's as well.

If you have an automatic transmission, you'll need to research to find an exhaust brake that will keep your torque converter locked in, otherwise the transmission will go into coast mode, and the engine brake will not provide the retarding you expect. I believe ATS, Banks, and others offer a kit that has the brake, and necessary electronics to control the powertrain as well

Sorry for the long post

Tom
kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by maintechfotog

I have heard that a power chip & controller are a smart addition for towing and economy when not, and that engine brakes makes sense for heavy RV's downhill. Has anyone had experience with either?
I don't have the 6.0L but do have the 7.3L. I added the Banks Power Pack which included an intercooler, chip and 4" exhaust. I also added the Banks Exhaust Brake which really helps not only down hill, but also on the flat freeway when you see that you're going to have to slow down because of heavy traffic ahead. That means that there are many times when I never touch the brake pedal. The exhaust brake keeps the torque converter locked up until the engine RPM drops below 1500.

I wouldn't be without the chip and exhaust brake.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
maintechfotog
Established Member

M.O.C. #9293
Thanks to all for info.
Is there a dealer/service outfit near Brampton, Ontario that anyone could recommend to provide supply and installation of these items?

Thanks again,

David.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:35 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
As far as "chips" go, most any of the 7.3 tuners are plug and play ... there is no real "chip" to change out. You simply plug in the tuner into your diagnostic port under the dash and follow the prompts. All are a one truck device ... it cannot be used on multiple vehicles, so beware of EBay tuners as they usually have to be sent back into the factory ($$$) to be cleared of any previous owners data stored in the tuner. I run a Super Chips Tuner ... I'm satisfied with it. I also have a boost and EGT guage to compliment it.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
The DP tuner seems to be the tuner of choice for most on the Diesel Site forum , many have had the Banks stuff ( expensive ) Superchips Bullydog etc., and it seems the DP tuner is far superior. I have the Superchip which does a pretty good job, but from reports from guys over there that has run the superchip the DP is a better tuner. It has a engine brake tune, that many have reported works very well. It will be my next tuner. It will be a new trans next from BTS when the time comes on the 4R100, and then a DP tuner to go with it. I have 4" exhaust, the AIS air intake, the gauges for transmission,exhaust temperatures,and boost. My truck runs very well, and from all the reports will run much better than what is does now with a DP tuner.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
maintechfotog.... Good News!!! I'd like to add that Banks Engineering has "Bundles & Packs" that are well tuned for the Ford 7.3L. The list is long, for example, tuner, turbo and intercooler improvements, exhaust pipes, gauges, exhaust brakes, tranny improvements, power selector... Here's the link: http://www.bankspower.com/

Where I live there are Ford dealers that offer them for install. Expect to pay a pretty penny, but you will grin ear to ear the first time you press the accelerator, then screech to a halt! Like others mention look for other diesel improvement products and installers on the internet for your area.

I hope you can find an installer in Canada. If I find anything I will drop you a line.

On edit: Try this link at Banks web site to locate a dealer: http://www.bankspower.com/contact/dealers
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
maintechfotog
Established Member

M.O.C. #9293
Just popped home halfway thru' our first trip to check mail etc. [no internet at our current camp]. I have just had installed an Edge Evolution by Diesel Doctors Ltd in Georgetown, Ont, Can. Love the way it pulls, what a difference! If anyone has the same controller, I'd like to hear from you re your settings, experience, etc.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I hate to be a wet blanket, but if you are installing these on a new vehicle, you should check with your dealer first. If he/she says no problem, ask for it in writing. GM is denying warranty claims on vehicles using tuners/chips. My bet is Ford and Chrysler are or will be too.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:33 PM   #11
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
If you do go with a tuner and exhaust brake you will not believe the difference they make. Like others have pointed out you will need to add at least a pyrometer to keep track of the temps on the turbo. Do your home work and take your pick, they all do about the same thing. I suggest you go to a Ford diesel forum and ask your questions there, they will help you make an informed decision. Just a heads up, BD Performance and Banks Engineering are both over priced. You can get the same improvement with less money if you do some homework.

Mike
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:09 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but if you are installing these on a new vehicle, you should check with your dealer first. If he/she says no problem, ask for it in writing. GM is denying warranty claims on vehicles using tuners/chips. My bet is Ford and Chrysler are or will be too.
GM dealer in Victorville, CA offers the Banks system installed on new vehicles in the showroom. When asked, the say there is no warranty problem. I'm beginning to think that it's a dealer thing.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:48 AM   #13
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
The DP tuner is great! I had one with my last truck. You can adjust the power level down for towing to keep exhaust temperatures down. You will need intake and exhaust system upgrades as well as gauges to keep an eye on EGT. The DP is a chip that requires a little work installing but it can be a DIY job. Go to their website. Do some research on dieselstop.com as well.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:58 AM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:

GM dealer in Victorville, CA offers the Banks system installed on new vehicles in the showroom. When asked, the say there is no warranty problem. I'm beginning to think that it's a dealer thing.

Orv
Probably not any more. At one time, GM did turn a 'blind eye' or perhaps they just weren't monitoring it, but in the past 6 months they have gotten tough on it, denying dealer claims. I can only speak for GM, but dealer warranty claims are monitored/approved by their GM regional rep and the reps have been told to deny claims on any engines using tuners or chips. GM has gone as far as to claim it can tell by the burn pattern on the tops of the pistons if tuners were used.

Maybe the dealer you cite is offering their own warranty.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #15
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:

Quote:

Orv
Unless he has some kind of extended warranty, he should be past any warranty or very close. The last of the 7.3 were early 2003, then the 6.0 in later 2003.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:40 PM   #16
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PSFORD99

Quote:

Quote:

Orv
Unless he has some kind of extended warranty, he should be past any warranty or very close. The last of the 7.3 were early 2003, then the 6.0 in later 2003.

Sorry Orv I was not paying attention you were talking about new trucks, I thought you were answering the op about the 7.3 I will be more careful.