Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2020, 11:49 AM   #1
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Suspension improvements, Sumo Springs?

Hi all,
There are a number of comments about improving the factory suspension under another thread "Switch to 8k axles?"
I thought that it might be better to start a new thread so that the other can focus on answers to the OP original question.

So, here are some comments others have made on other threads about suspension improvements:
-MorRyde I.S. (seems expensive but owners say worth it)
-LRE4000 seems to tame the factory suspensions
-adding shocks

But, I did not see any comments on these:
https://www.supersprings.com/product...r-sumosprings/

Has anyone tried the Trailer Sumo Springs? Feedback, good or bad?

Thanks!

Brad

kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:22 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Looking at their video, looks like all you would do with these is reduce the axle travel, which would defeat all the other parts that are supposed to give you more travel.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:35 PM   #3
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Looking at their video, looks like all you would do with these is reduce the axle travel, which would defeat all the other parts that are supposed to give you more travel.
I'm not sure I understand... my understanding is they are a progressive spring that gets firmer as it's compressed. So, wouldn't that mean it would still allow much of the total travel, but just that as the travel increased the pressure would resist more? I stand to be educated on this for sure.

BUT, more importantly, I am curious if anyone has done any real world testing and what their experiences are.

Thanks!

Brad
Old 08-29-2020, 07:48 PM   #4
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
I have not used these on a trailer nor my truck. I have researched them, talked to users and the manufacturer. If the time comes I feel I need some sort of assistance on my truck I will install them. The trailer works on the same concept.

I'm not sure what the construction is on the RV Sumospring but they are a microcellular component that is progressive in construction. Be aware that some are much firmer than others and would result in the condition mentioned and just limit axle travel. The softer, more progressive, units seem to work rather well. I've ridden in one vehicle with them and it seemed like they worked; the downside was I never rode in it before they were installed and only had the owner's opinion to go by.

I think it all depends on "what" it is that you are trying to improve in your current suspension. These may or may not help at all. This trailer has the "Road Armor" suspension and I was told it was basically a MorRyde with a different name - it's not. In my case, if this suspension can't compare to the MorRyde, which so far it doesn't seem to, I will replace with it with the MorRyde. I don't see how the Sumo Springs would give me what I want. It goes back to what you are trying to achieve.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:00 PM   #5
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
What are you wanting to accomplish? Do you have a problem and looking for a solution?
Old 08-29-2020, 08:02 PM   #6
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I have not used these on a trailer nor my truck. I have researched them, talked to users and the manufacturer. If the time comes I feel I need some sort of assistance on my truck I will install them. The trailer works on the same concept.

I'm not sure what the construction is on the RV Sumospring but they are a microcellular component that is progressive in construction. Be aware that some are much firmer than others and would result in the condition mentioned and just limit axle travel. The softer, more progressive, units seem to work rather well. I've ridden in one vehicle with them and it seemed like they worked; the downside was I never rode in it before they were installed and only had the owner's opinion to go by.

I think it all depends on "what" it is that you are trying to improve in your current suspension. These may or may not help at all. This trailer has the "Road Armor" suspension and I was told it was basically a MorRyde with a different name - it's not. In my case, if this suspension can't compare to the MorRyde, which so far it doesn't seem to, I will replace with it with the MorRyde. I don't see how the Sumo Springs would give me what I want. It goes back to what you are trying to achieve.
Thanks Danny!

And good question... My biggest challenge is the back of the 5th wheel swaying on secondary roads, especially those that are rutted up. At times, once the swaying starts, you need to slow right down to get it under control.
I contacted Sumo Springs and they have said these will help with that issue.

I understand that shock absorbers would help, and of course helps with rebound as well. The concern is whether there are good kits that work at the angles that shocks will need to be installed at.

And I do understand Sumo Springs would not help with rebound, only compression, so again curious if the manufacturers claims are accurate... hoping someone knows for sure.

Brad
Old 08-29-2020, 08:17 PM   #7
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Lots of things can contribute to what you describe. How old is the trailer? Tires? Load range? What is the trailer? Truck/year/miles?

If the trailer is "swaying" it could be any number of things in the suspension, overloaded tires, truck not up to controlling the trailer? The SumoSprings could very well be just a bandaid to cover up a more urgent problem.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:44 PM   #8
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Lots of things can contribute to what you describe. How old is the trailer? Tires? Load range? What is the trailer? Truck/year/miles?

If the trailer is "swaying" it could be any number of things in the suspension, overloaded tires, truck not up to controlling the trailer? The SumoSprings could very well be just a bandaid to cover up a more urgent problem.
Good points... issues have been with our current 2018 Jayco Eagle that is just now gone...

There are some stretches of road that just always beat us up. Everywhere else, the truck and trailer combo has been rock solid. Interstate with concrete gaps are no issues. Passing trucks, barely a wobble. But on a rutted up road, at times the trailer starts swaying and doesn't want to stop. Truck is planted firmly but the trailer is doing the heebie jeebies...

Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, and the new rig will be ok... I'm researching for the new Montana 3791RD we have ordered but it won't be here until after freeze up here and I want to be ready for our winter trip south.

BTW, just traded up from a 2016 RAM to a 2020 RAM 3500, srw, cummins...

Good points on whether there are other issues to address before adding "helpers" like the Sumo Springs.

Based on the above issues, any further suggestions? Thanks again,

Brad
Old 08-30-2020, 08:05 AM   #9
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
OK - get the new rig level when towing, make sure it has G rated tires. I've always corrected trailer tail movement by manually applying trailer brakes. Then if there is an issue - dig in
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:15 AM   #10
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
OK - get the new rig level when towing, make sure it has G rated tires. I've always corrected trailer tail movement by manually applying trailer brakes. Then if there is an issue - dig in
Good advice, and I do all of the above. The issues I've had, at times, could not be corrected by manually applying trailer brakes, and yes I've had to dig in, lots, to the point of slowing down below 30 mph and trying all over again...

This has been helpful, folks, thanks! If there are more suggestions, I'm all ears.

Brad
Old 08-30-2020, 10:36 AM   #11
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
As was asked, what is the trailer, year, make, and model, and what tires are you running and what pressure do you run them, and what truck do you tow with, year and model? Those answers will go a long ways to help get some answers that might solve your problem.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:48 AM   #12
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
As was asked, what is the trailer, year, make, and model, and what tires are you running and what pressure do you run them, and what truck do you tow with, year and model? Those answers will go a long ways to help get some answers that might solve your problem.
Of course, sorry for missing that...
-2018 Jayco Eagle 317RLOK, 16" Goodyear E rated tires (highest upgrade available), 80lbs max as recommended

-2016 RAM 3500 cummins, ~50,000 miles

Is there anything else that would be helpful?

(again as noted, we are upgrading now to a 2020 Montana 3791RD and 2020 RAM 3500 with factory auto air suspension, so things will change... but I think it's good for you to know what we have had issues with...)

Thanks again!

Brad
Old 08-30-2020, 09:27 PM   #13
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
By the specs, you’re just under 13,000 lbs loaded, and probably have 6,000 axles, so the E range tires are right. The one thing I have experienced is running these rigs level with the newer trucks is difficult, usually running nose high, and this can create an unstable tow. That might be your problem, because everything else looks good. This is assuming all the suspension is tight. Loose bushings, loose U-bolts, loose anything else can for sure cause sway, so those things should be checked.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:48 AM   #14
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
It appears to me that the sumo springs are just an auxiliary spring that helps you hold up a heavier load. Springs do nothing more than hold the vehicle up off the axles. Your “suspension” on a dual axle trailer is the linkage between the springs. Some like MorRyde use rubber inserts to control the movement, and some use shocks. The degree of complexity of the linkage also can also help control the movement. Unless you are bottoming your springs out, adding anything that stiffens them will only result in a rougher ride.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:01 AM   #15
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Is the trailer level when connected to the truck? Too high in the front can cause some sway. Also, is it really sway or just the trailer tires tracking in the ruts you described.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:37 AM   #16
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
By the specs, you’re just under 13,000 lbs loaded, and probably have 6,000 axles, so the E range tires are right. The one thing I have experienced is running these rigs level with the newer trucks is difficult, usually running nose high, and this can create an unstable tow. That might be your problem, because everything else looks good. This is assuming all the suspension is tight. Loose bushings, loose U-bolts, loose anything else can for sure cause sway, so those things should be checked.
Thanks for the suggestions!

The truck does run level.
The truck suspension is tight, and just no issues in regular driving or towing other trailers (have gooseneck at the farm)
Visually the trailer suspension looks good. I had the dealer check it and they said it was good, but I never took it to a trailer shop.

Brad
Old 08-31-2020, 08:50 AM   #17
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Is the trailer level when connected to the truck? Too high in the front can cause some sway. Also, is it really sway or just the trailer tires tracking in the ruts you described.
Good questions!

Truck is level, as noted...
Yes, it definitely seems it is the ruts that get things started. The concern is that it starts such a violent chain reaction on the trailer...
Maybe like an old car with blown shocks; all is good on a smooth road, but once it starts bouncing it won't stop. That's what it seems like is happening here. I'm not concerned with a bit of movement, but this gets out of control at times.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 09-02-2020, 03:19 PM   #18
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Sumo Springs and Joyrider Shocks

I added Sumo Springs to my 05 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually.
They've improved the Truck's ride slightly. I deem them worth it. Especially when the unloaded Truck is used as a daily driver.

Regarding the Fiver, I installed JoyRider Shocks several years ago as a REPLACEMENT for the OEM Shock System on my 05 Montana. Better Angle, twice as big Shock Absorbers. Significant improvement! However, still the very worst roads jerk things around quite a bit - there is only so much you can do with so much weight on two axles.
Thanks to rough roads, my first Generation Joyrider brackets had one BENT. Joyrider replaced all my brackets with improved heavier duty ones for the cost of shipping....
Still there is enough movement on rough roads that the Joyrider has taken out two of my suspension shackle grease Zerks over the years...
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:32 PM   #19
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRman View Post
I added Sumo Springs to my 05 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually.
They've improved the Truck's ride slightly. I deem them worth it. Especially when the unloaded Truck is used as a daily driver.

Regarding the Fiver, I installed JoyRider Shocks several years ago as a REPLACEMENT for the OEM Shock System on my 05 Montana. Better Angle, twice as big Shock Absorbers. Significant improvement! However, still the very worst roads jerk things around quite a bit - there is only so much you can do with so much weight on two axles.
Thanks to rough roads, my first Generation Joyrider brackets had one BENT. Joyrider replaced all my brackets with improved heavier duty ones for the cost of shipping....
Still there is enough movement on rough roads that the Joyrider has taken out two of my suspension shackle grease Zerks over the years...
Thanks rrman!

I will check them out.

Are they a DIY install?

Thanks,

Brad
Old 09-02-2020, 04:05 PM   #20
AZMont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26281
I tried the trailer sumo springs and found the ride much harsher in the cab. Spouse really did not like the ride at all. I took them off, returned them to get my money back. I do use Sumo Springs Rebel line in my 2015 3/4 ton Ram 2500 Diesel with air suspension and they do improve the ride, vehicle drop, etc.... However, the real answer is to get a 1 ton. That is my next truck upgrade.
AZMont is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sumo springs, suspension upgrade