Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2021, 10:09 PM   #21
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine 1 View Post
Chuck is right, I have heard the poping before but this was two loud bangs.I went under and looked at the suspension,it looked alright to me, but of course I am not very mechanical inclined.
I looked over at were the black and grey tanks are located, it looked like the coroplast was bending down slightly. I can't figure out why I heard the two loud bangs from the rear of the trailer. If the black or grey tank came down on the coroplast would it be safe to drive? I am boon docking at the BLM in Why Arizona.
Thanks for all the help.
How full are your waste tanks?

Old 01-17-2021, 10:00 AM   #22
sunshine 1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22947
1/3 or less.
sunshine 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:36 PM   #23
sunshine 1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22947
I think it was either the gray tank or the black tank made the loud bang.
The coroplast under those tanks are bulging down about 5 inches. Any thoughts??
Also what holds those tanks up for not resting on the coroplast??
Are those tanks covered under factory warranty??
Old 01-17-2021, 02:39 PM   #24
sunshine 1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22947
I bought the trailer 23 months ago.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:10 PM   #25
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
If you believe it is a tank problem, unfasten some of the coroplast undercover so you can peer in there with a flashlight and take a peek. If it is truly a tank that has fell out of its permanent spot it should be very apparent.
For that to happen it most surely would have ripped the vent and the drain line out of the top of the tank
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:12 AM   #26
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
If it was a tank that ruptured there will be a lot of waste water pooling on the coroplast. You could poke a little hole in the coroplast and see if it flows water. You could even pound on it and be able to feel if there is excessive weight causing the coroplast to sag so much. Many tanks rupture along a seam and can be undetectable by visual inspection. The tank can even remain in place. They will merely leak out when water reaches the split. The breaking of the seam will cause a loud bang.

And yes that is a warranty issue. Do not let them tell you that it is your fault because you overfilled it. If they try to deny the repair if that's what it is, please let me know.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:13 AM   #27
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I don't think it was stiction either, nor do I think it was a tank dropping. I experienced a similar loud noise once when setting up, and I don't think it was a jack. My conclusion was a brake set locked up as I was backing up, and when I took the weight off as it was leveling, it broke loose with a loud bang. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:51 AM   #28
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
You said the rear of the trailer rocked when you heard the loud bang. I have been to that blm and it is somewhat up and down. My first instinct would be to check for a broken spring. Then I would look at the spring hangers and the bolts that go thru them. I have had all those items break at different times on my 2017 3720. I now have independent suspension.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:34 PM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Chances are you ran over something in the road.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:41 PM   #30
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
It could have been a strap on one of the tanks sure, but take a look at your springs and shackles. Make sure the springs and hangers are intact as well as the bolts through them. Then look at your shackles and make sure they are pointing the way they are supposed to. Best of luck finding the cause!
Old 01-20-2021, 02:04 PM   #31
Sharmanclan
Established Member

M.O.C. #23552
Did you check your leaf springs in case one let go?
Sharmanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:27 PM   #32
declarehisglory

M.O.C. #26640
I have heard other owners report about their Hydraulic Jacks pop. There are several who have posted about LCI recommends a Hydraulic fork oil that will stop this. This is from Changing Lanes RV sites.

"Jack Popping!

Click for Larger Image
Our first week in our RV, we thought something was seriously wrong with our Lippert 6 point auto-leveling jacks. As we're lying in bed one night, we hear a loud pop accompanied by what felt like the front of the RV dropping a bit. Since our bedroom is in the front of the RV, this was quite startling.

After some quick research, we learned that this is a fairly well known issue with a somewhat simple fix. All we needed was a quart of anti-stiction fluid and were good to go! Click the image to the right for detailed instructions! "
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-03-23_11-42-57-3-1.png
Views:	38
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	8317  
declarehisglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:29 PM   #33
declarehisglory

M.O.C. #26640
Jack Popping

I have heard other owners report about their Hydraulic Jacks pop. There are several who have posted about LCI recommends a Hydraulic fork oil that will stop this. This is from Changing Lanes RV sites.

"Jack Popping!

Click for Larger Image
Our first week in our RV, we thought something was seriously wrong with our Lippert 6 point auto-leveling jacks. As we're lying in bed one night, we hear a loud pop accompanied by what felt like the front of the RV dropping a bit. Since our bedroom is in the front of the RV, this was quite startling.

After some quick research, we learned that this is a fairly well known issue with a somewhat simple fix. All we needed was a quart of anti-stiction fluid and were good to go! Click the image to the right for detailed instructions! "
declarehisglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:03 AM   #34
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Let's all pitch in a virtual dollar. If the OP ever reports back on the cause of the problem then the right guesser gets the virtual pot.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:34 AM   #35
Drdon1057
Established Member

M.O.C. #24426
Howdy, I would check the suspension, might have a dry bushing on shackle or might have had a couple leads snap. I have been in units when they let go and, it makes a loud pop. I routinely lift unit and spray lithium based white grease on top of every leaf. That lets them move around so they don't stick and then pop back into place. Might not be what caused your noise but, by doing this PM, you might stop it From happening. I run a pen knife along the side of every leaf to see if it's cracked, hairline cracks are hard to spot. Good Luck, and Happy Trails and Stay Safe to You..
Drdon1057 is offline   Reply With Quote