Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2020, 02:41 PM   #1
parkerhw

M.O.C. #19652
Front jacks extend on their own

My 2017 Montana 3731 FL has a problem with front hydraulic jacks extending on their own. This happens while trailer is parked and leveled. After a few days the front jacks will creep down, causing the trailer to become unlevel. I’ve replaced hydraulic fluid with the striction oil recommended by lippert, but problem still exist.

parkerhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 03:16 PM   #2
ChaseTX
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26041
Power Back Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerhw View Post
My 2017 Montana 3731 FL has a problem with front hydraulic jacks extending on their own. This happens while trailer is parked and leveled. After a few days the front jacks will creep down, causing the trailer to become unlevel. I’ve replaced hydraulic fluid with the striction oil recommended by lippert, but problem still exist.
I had something like this happen to me about a year ago, I had the trailer hooked up to the truck, and extended out one of my slides. I went outside to get something from the truck and found the front jacks down. I found out a week after that, my truck had a short causing power to back feed the camper through the ground wire. This caused multiple problems but the jacks was one specifically that I remember.

Just to mark off an electrical issue, go ahead and flip your breaker for your lippert system. At least then you will no its not electrical. I wouldn't imagine it would be anything else, if it was hydraulic you would be loosing fluid in the cylinder, causing it to collapse, instead of extending like you pointed out.

Hopefully you figure out your issue.
Previous Eagle Cap 850, Elkhorn 8.5, Alfa Gold 38RLT
ChaseTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My guess is a leak.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:34 PM   #4
ChaseTX
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26041
lift or Bleeding down

Are your jacks falling down and settling on the ground or are the pushing into the ground causing your camper to lift?
Old 12-19-2020, 08:34 PM   #5
parkerhw

M.O.C. #19652
Pushing up causing the camper to lift
Old 12-20-2020, 06:25 AM   #6
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
The only thing that would cause the LG to raise your fifth wheel without the hyd pump motor running would be the Hydac solenoid valve located on one of the two front LG.. if it isn’t fully closing the system pressure “could” perhaps raise the fifth wheel a bit..

Their usually isn’t any breaker switch to remove DC power from the level,up system as it is wired directly to battery thru auto reset DC breaker..

I don’t believe the hyd pump motor is running by itself. And even if it did the Hydac valve on front LG would also have to receive a 12 volt signal from the front fwd control module to open that valve

There are two separate 12 volt signals that have to occur for anything to move on a six point hyd Levelup system

1... extend or retract signal to the dual polarity solenoid.. otherwise known as the trombetta

2. 12 volt signal to Hydac solenoid for front LG

Their are also two other Hydac solenoids for the left and right (mid/rear) levelers and these also have separate 12 volt signals that come from front fwd controller

Images from my fifth wheel with Lippert 6 point hyd level up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1FF99ADC-7060-4EC3-82D7-EE04C5DCC453.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	8071   Click image for larger version

Name:	DEAC03E9-40C0-48A2-AD2E-FD8F3FF58108.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	382.6 KB
ID:	8072  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:50 AM   #7
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
That could be dangerous going down the road.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:11 AM   #8
parkerhw

M.O.C. #19652
Thanks! Great info! I’ve thought maybe it was a bad solenoid too. I never hear the hydraulic pump running. I’m going to check into replacing the solenoid.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:32 AM   #9
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
If you decide to replace front LG solenoid have fifth wheel hooked to truck or use appropriate Jack stands to support weight..

The system is under pressure at all times (2000psi) so bleed off pressure slowly .. I’d also check the manual override screw on the end of that Hydac valve and make sure it’s closed

Photo from my fifth wheel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4D6EDB87-4FD2-48BF-A431-541DD45126AD.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	8073  
Old 12-20-2020, 08:08 AM   #10
parkerhw

M.O.C. #19652
Thanks! Again good info! I will call Lippert to see about getting new solenoid.
Old 12-20-2020, 01:28 PM   #11
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
And of course the two front LG are in tandem so what affects one affects the other.. an internal bypass leak of one cylinder would not cause the LG to raise your RV..

But a sticking solenoid or Hydac valve on the LG would allow system pressure to flow into them... Im surprised their is enough flow volume with hyd pump not running to actually lift though...
Old 12-21-2020, 06:35 AM   #12
cotter key
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10849
I'm gonna just throw this out there but the first thing that comes to my mind is could the rear possibly be bleeding off and making it seem like the front is extending? Just a thought.
cotter key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:09 AM   #13
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Yes.. that could happen BUT the left and right side (mid/rear) levelers are not connected to each other.. each side (mid/rear) are connected themselves in tandem so what affects rear leveler would affect mid leveler on that side..

Each side also has their own Hydac solenoid valve

Only way to verify what’s what is measure extended portion of each cylinder and then measure again if issue returns.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:25 PM   #14
ChaseTX
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26041
Great Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The only thing that would cause the LG to raise your fifth wheel without the hyd pump motor running would be the Hydac solenoid valve located on one of the two front LG.. if it isn’t fully closing the system pressure “could” perhaps raise the fifth wheel a bit..

Their usually isn’t any breaker switch to remove DC power from the level,up system as it is wired directly to battery thru auto reset DC breaker..

I don’t believe the hyd pump motor is running by itself. And even if it did the Hydac valve on front LG would also have to receive a 12 volt signal from the front fwd control module to open that valve

There are two separate 12 volt signals that have to occur for anything to move on a six point hyd Levelup system

1... extend or retract signal to the dual polarity solenoid.. otherwise known as the trombetta

2. 12 volt signal to Hydac solenoid for front LG

Their are also two other Hydac solenoids for the left and right (mid/rear) levelers and these also have separate 12 volt signals that come from front fwd controller

Images from my fifth wheel with Lippert 6 point hyd level up
This was a great read and very informative. I had forgot that I had upgraded my breakers from the auto breakers. I ran into issue with the breakers continuing to reset as my slides went out. This proves that it is vital to be a member on here from the extensive knowledge from everyone.

....I just applied to go to MT Home. I hear it is amazing out out that direction.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:53 PM   #15
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
The set screw on mine is on the drivers side of the front jack and needs to be turned counter clockwise until it hits the stop, not hard jammed into it. The issue I had was that screw was not all the way out and every time I moved the slides in or out it would cause the front jacks to move up or down, tightening that set screw fixed the issue. I suppose it could be opened so slightly that over time back pressure is lifting them. Just something to check.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #16
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
If it were me, I'd be contacting Lippert/LCI Customer Service. They are one of the best Customer Services around and once you explain the problem, they will walk you through a diagnostic of the system over the phone and have you check for things that you or the others here have not even thought about. Give Lippert/LCI Customer Service a call and I will almost guarantee they will figure out your problem and solve it for you over the phone. Good luck and let us know what you find out!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:59 AM   #17
parkerhw

M.O.C. #19652
Thanks all. I contacted Lippert customer service and they confirmed it was most likely the solenoid issue. I ordered the solenoid thru lippert and just now received the part. I will be replacing soon and hopefully this fixes the problem.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:44 PM   #18
LShardelman

M.O.C. #31126
We too have a 2017 5th wheel and for some reason the front jacks come down when we’re putting the back slides out!! Very puzzling! I’ll try the set screw and then maybe the solenoid. Or call Lippert. All good suggestions! Thanks all!
LShardelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:28 PM   #19
Dalder
Established Member

M.O.C. #22957
I have been having a similar issue where the road side rear jacks dropped after leaving our last camp site. When I park it at home I level the rig and leave it. After reading this thread I located the solenoid for them and screwed clockwise, raised the front jacks which started retracting and the left rears did nothing. Screwed the bypass counter clockwise and everything is back the way it was. I did leave the road side jacks raised to see if they drop over the next few days. By the way ratchet straps were a savior in this situation.
Dalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 04:41 PM   #20
teichrott
Established Member

M.O.C. #21590
Solenoid and motor needed replaced.
teichrott is offline   Reply With Quote