Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-18-2021, 01:43 PM   #1
bethandkevin
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Davison
Posts: 779
M.O.C. #12331
3402RL convertor

2013 3402 RL, I have it at the dealer because the furnace won't come on at all. No pre-blower. They tell me they found corrosion on a connector block at the convertor and it is discontinued and I need to buy the whole convertor. It's 140 miles away from me and I've asked for pictures. Has anyone had a similar issue? Only the furnace seems to be affected and nothing else. I hate to change major components because it generally leads to a waterfall effect down the road.
 
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 03:31 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master
 
twindman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mesa az
Posts: 2,106
M.O.C. #5651
Seems a little fishy to me. If the convertor is bad, the batteries would be dead and non of the 12V stuff would work. I would want more explanation.
__________________

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:22 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team
 
DQDick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wilsey
Posts: 18,445
M.O.C. #11455
I agree, if the batteries aren't dead and the AC and the fridge and water heater work then something else is wrong. If your year has a black fuse for the furnance I'd look at replacing that first before I looked for other problems.
__________________
Dick, Joyce, Diego, Picatso and Gustav
2017 3720 RL, and 2013 HC 343RL
2017 3500 Dodge Maxi DRW 4X4, Pullrite Hitch, IS, Disk Brakes, 3rd AC, Winegard Traveler, Bathroom door mod, Dometic 320, couch for desk swap, etc.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:57 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master
 
rohrmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Box Elder
Posts: 3,817
M.O.C. #12947
If all you need is the converter section for your panel, this will be the correct one: https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-P.../dp/B0039SY092


If you need the entire panel, 120 volt AC plus 12 volt DC with the converter section, this will be the correct one: https://www.bestconverter.com/PD4590...ger_p_359.html


It's possible that the converter is not bad, but it is the 12 volt distribution connector bus block that is bad, and that might be why they need to replace the panel. You might contact Progressive Dynamics directly yourself and see if the parts are available. (269) 781-4241
__________________
Bob & Becky
2012 3402RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD D/A CC 4WD
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:09 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Salem
Posts: 6,379
M.O.C. #2283
Now wait a minute. You have corrosion on one terminal on your converter and it needs to be replaced. Can’t we clean the corrosion off. Think I’d go see what is happening and take my tow truck, just in case.
Lynwood
__________________
www.harrellsprec.com
Lynwood Harrell
323 RL HC 2008 F250
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:53 PM   #6
bethandkevin
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Davison
Posts: 779
M.O.C. #12331
So, our dealer, Camping World of Northern Michigan called us back after sending me pictures of the problem and now I fully understand the situation. The "corrosion" he described was really overheated copper wire turned blue with oxidation. I suspect shake, rattle and roll contributed to a loose connection which of course built resistance and heat. It overheated the termination point and that why the furnace had no power. The 12 v portion of the panel has been discontinued they tell me. After looking at the pics, I observed an empty circuit to the far right of the panel. I have asked them to move the furnace to that empty circuit. If they won't do that, I will do it myself or run an inline fuse separately. I know CW has gotten a bad rep with a lot of people, but CWNM has done right by us so far and on previous occasions we have taken her in. They looked at it a full week ahead of my appointment and have been very good, as I said, so far. I told them if they agreed to fix as I asked, go ahead and fix my water heater element(in my mind, as a reward for good service). I appreciate the responses, especially with part links. Makes me miss the forum. I've been away to long and gotten lazy on FB. Using a phone to access it is a major PIA though(no pc here). Because of that, I'm not sure how to post pics here anymore. I did put some on my FB Keystone Montana group post earlier if interested in looking. Thanks again group!
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:04 PM   #7
bethandkevin
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Davison
Posts: 779
M.O.C. #12331
Click image for larger version

Name:	JOB_1_2021_09_18_14_41_47_2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	10199

Click image for larger version

Name:	JOB_1_2021_09_18_14_41_56.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	10200

Click image for larger version

Name:	JOB_1_2021_09_16_10_33_43.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	10201

Well I'll be darned, an old dog learned a new trick. Here are some pics.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:30 AM   #8
bcrvman
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Qualicum Beach
Posts: 396
M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethandkevin View Post
2013 3402 RL, I have it at the dealer because the furnace won't come on at all. No pre-blower. They tell me they found corrosion on a connector block at the convertor and it is discontinued and I need to buy the whole convertor. It's 140 miles away from me and I've asked for pictures. Has anyone had a similar issue? Only the furnace seems to be affected and nothing else. I hate to change major components because it generally leads to a waterfall effect down the road.
Either DIY or find another dealer, that is a bogus dealer. Even if true that a brass connector is corroded, it's simple enough to repair, no need to replace the converter. Good luck.
__________________
2018 Keystone Montana 3811MS
2017 Ford F450 diesel dually
600AH Battle Born Lithium Batteries, 1,080 watts solar
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:41 PM   #9
bethandkevin
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Davison
Posts: 779
M.O.C. #12331
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
Either DIY or find another dealer, that is a bogus dealer. Even if true that a brass connector is corroded, it's simple enough to repair, no need to replace the converter. Good luck.
I don't consider them bogus at all. The connection is not brass, it's steel and the threads for the screw are stripped. I cannot blame the dealer for offering a solution that brings it back to like new, it's their job to do that. They e diagnosed my problem, which is what I took it there for.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:08 PM   #10
bcrvman
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Qualicum Beach
Posts: 396
M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethandkevin View Post
So, our dealer, Camping World of Northern Michigan called us back after sending me pictures of the problem and now I fully understand the situation. The "corrosion" he described was really overheated copper wire turned blue with oxidation. I suspect shake, rattle and roll contributed to a loose connection which of course built resistance and heat. It overheated the termination point and that why the furnace had no power. The 12 v portion of the panel has been discontinued they tell me. After looking at the pics, I observed an empty circuit to the far right of the panel. I have asked them to move the furnace to that empty circuit. If they won't do that, I will do it myself or run an inline fuse separately. I know CW has gotten a bad rep with a lot of people, but CWNM has done right by us so far and on previous occasions we have taken her in. They looked at it a full week ahead of my appointment and have been very good, as I said, so far. I told them if they agreed to fix as I asked, go ahead and fix my water heater element(in my mind, as a reward for good service). I appreciate the responses, especially with part links. Makes me miss the forum. I've been away to long and gotten lazy on FB. Using a phone to access it is a major PIA though(no pc here). Because of that, I'm not sure how to post pics here anymore. I did put some on my FB Keystone Montana group post earlier if interested in looking. Thanks again group!
Might be a good idea to check all the other connections and torque to spec.
__________________
2018 Keystone Montana 3811MS
2017 Ford F450 diesel dually
600AH Battle Born Lithium Batteries, 1,080 watts solar
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:12 PM   #11
bcrvman
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Qualicum Beach
Posts: 396
M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethandkevin View Post
I don't consider them bogus at all. The connection is not brass, it's steel and the threads for the screw are stripped. I cannot blame the dealer for offering a solution that brings it back to like new, it's their job to do that. They e diagnosed my problem, which is what I took it there for.
As a lifetime service type guy, I guess my standards are higher. If they are stymied by a stripped screw and didn't notice a spare available then it sounds like they are trying to just sell you unnecessary parts. As a former industrial electrician, I can advise you to cut some of that overheated wire off as the heating changes the characteristics of the metal. Probably an inch will do. Good luck.
__________________
2018 Keystone Montana 3811MS
2017 Ford F450 diesel dually
600AH Battle Born Lithium Batteries, 1,080 watts solar
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:38 PM   #12
bethandkevin
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Davison
Posts: 779
M.O.C. #12331
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
As a lifetime service type guy, I guess my standards are higher. If they are stymied by a stripped screw and didn't notice a spare available then it sounds like they are trying to just sell you unnecessary parts. As a former industrial electrician, I can advise you to cut some of that overheated wire off as the heating changes the characteristics of the metal. Probably an inch will do. Good luck.
I would expect high standards from a person in your profession. Unfortunately, that is not the case everywhere. I don't know why you say they are stymied. They found the cause. I asked if other lugs were found loose and was told no. But I don't expect they were actually checked either. The wire, as seen in the pic, has already been trimmed off. As for seeing the empty lug, I'm not holding that against them. As an ASE certified technician, I've worked with other equally certified techs that I don't consider to be up to my level of expertise and still others above mine. We are all humans of independent thought and don't always see things the same way Thanks for all the input.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:39 PM   #13
firestation12
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Mesa
Posts: 115
M.O.C. #24588
Another option

If you didnít have an open spot to move the furnace wire, Iíd consider re-taping the female threads. Judging from the screw, which appears the male threads are intact, the same may be true of the female threads. Noalox paste on the wire can improve the contact.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:10 PM   #14
bcrvman
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Qualicum Beach
Posts: 396
M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
If you didnít have an open spot to move the furnace wire, Iíd consider re-taping the female threads. Judging from the screw, which appears the male threads are intact, the same may be true of the female threads. Noalox paste on the wire can improve the contact.
I suspect you meant re-tapped. You could also try inserting several very fine wires in the screw hole first and adding the noalox paste is also a good idea.
__________________
2018 Keystone Montana 3811MS
2017 Ford F450 diesel dually
600AH Battle Born Lithium Batteries, 1,080 watts solar
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 01:46 PM   #15
bethandkevin
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Davison
Posts: 779
M.O.C. #12331
Camping World did right by us. Total bill to fix the furnace power issue and the hot water heater element-$379.00. No complaints here. Best part- no salesman called to ask if we wanted to trade her in!
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 01:47 PM   #16
bethandkevin
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Davison
Posts: 779
M.O.C. #12331
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethandkevin View Post
Camping World did right by us. Total bill to fix the furnace power issue and the hot water heater element-$379.00. No complaints here. Best part- no salesman called to ask if we wanted to trade her in!

I should have added, all repairs were completed 4days before they originally said they could look at it.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.