Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2021, 06:40 PM   #1
jfbritt
Established Member

M.O.C. #23856
Black Tank Flush

I have a 2011 Montana Mountaineer. It has a built-in black tank flush connection. Since I am coming up on the end of the camping season I am thinking of supplementing my built-in flush by also buying and using the Camco RV Waste Tank Cleaning Wand. Has anyone used this tool? It seems very easy to use. Any recommendations? Would you recommend adding Dawn soap to the process? Is this overkill since I have a built-in flush?

jfbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:37 AM   #2
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
If you are referring to the wand that attaches to the hose and goes down the toilet, yes. They seem to do a good job of cleaning the initial section of pipe from the toilet to the tank. The tank flush can't reach that area. I don't use mine every time we camp, but do occasionally use it at the end of a trip just to make sure it's all clean before storage.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:06 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I've only used them when the black tank valve has failed and the poop started to mound before I could replace the bad valve. It worked great for that and so should work even better when it's not fighting a mound.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:25 PM   #4
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbritt View Post
..............I am thinking of supplementing my built-in flush by also buying and using the Camco RV Waste Tank Cleaning Wand. Has anyone used this tool?.........Would you recommend adding Dawn soap to the process?.........
I have a Camco RV Waste Tank Cleaning Wand but have not used it yet since my normal flushing strategy has been to add fill the tank with water and dump while adding flush water, which seems to get it relatively clean. Never thought of using Dawn dish detergent but may give it a try. This article recommends using it.

https://www.doityourselfrv.com/dawn-...v-black-tanks/
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:53 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I've been using one of those wands for years and years now, .... 4 different trailers ... same wand.

First 2 trailers did not have a black tank flusher. The wand worked great doing a great "power wash". I always used it at the end of the camping season and when winterizing.

The last 2 trailers have had black tank flushers. But the wand still works better. Again, I use the wand when winterizing, or just feel the need to give the tank a really, really good cleaning.

Fortunate, I can dump my tanks at home. So water usage and disposing of the water is not an issue at all.
DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:58 PM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Don't think it would work with ours, since the Bathroom is in the nose the toilet doesn't drop straight down into the tank, but is at an angle.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:45 PM   #7
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
On my Montana the toilet does not seem to drop directly into the black tank. It looks like it has some horizontal piping that ends up in what ever location that Keystone installed it in. As stated earlier it might help clean the horizontal piping.

Tom Marty
Old 09-16-2021, 05:09 AM   #8
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Mine also has sweep elbows from the toilet to the tank. That's exactly why I use the wand. The only cleaning this section of pipe ever sees is the water coming from the toilet. Even if I fill the toilet completely then empty it, it doesn't seem to get as clean as with the wand. Especially that first sweep from the toilet flange you can see when you step on the flusher.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:51 PM   #9
BritBox
Established Member

M.O.C. #29286
An end of season flush with a few kettles of boiling water might help to clean the toilet to tank pipe.
BritBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:26 PM   #10
worleyjrtx5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14165
I have a 2011 Mountaineer. The tank is offset so I cannot get a straight drop into the tank with one of those wands. I just flush mine with the built in flusher several times before leaving the campsite, then do it again when arriving home. I wait a couple of days, and do it again until it runs clear and let it remain open for the winter. We are in central Texas where normally it does not freeze too cold (except this last year) so if there is any thing remaining in the tank, I do not worry about it.
worleyjrtx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:11 PM   #11
DanC
Established Member

M.O.C. #27172
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbritt View Post
I have a 2011 Montana Mountaineer. It has a built-in black tank flush connection. Since I am coming up on the end of the camping season I am thinking of supplementing my built-in flush by also buying and using the Camco RV Waste Tank Cleaning Wand. Has anyone used this tool? It seems very easy to use. Any recommendations? Would you recommend adding Dawn soap to the process? Is this overkill since I have a built-in flush?
After each use after flushing my tanks, I pour ten gals of water in each Black tank, with 1/2 to 1 cup dawn detergent and it swooshing around until I get home and empty again.....When we put it away for the winter we drop or throw three lemon garbage disposal balls in each tank....they break and provide a clean scent until spring...I have also heard of people putting shaved or grated Irish Sprint in each their tanks as well.....
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote