Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2022, 01:46 PM   #21
The McCoys
Established Member

M.O.C. #26007
Washer dryer

I’ve done some of the research, but haven’t made the purchase yet. From what I’ve read, the Splendide Stackable washer and vented dryer is the best bet. Most of what I’ve read said to stay away from combo’s and ventless dryers, unless that’s your only option. Good luck with your decision and safe travels.

The McCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 02:09 PM   #22
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
We are on our second and third Splendide stacked washer and dryer. (We live in three different fivers.) All of the dryers have been vented.

A word of caution: the newest of the dryers broke the rubber belt that turns the drum from the motor. Real pain in the butt to remove the dryer from the closet in the bathroom of our Mobile Suites. And the reinstall after I finished the repair.
When I ordered a new belt the parts manager at Splendide said this is probably the most replaced part in his inventory. When I asked why they break, he said putting ANYTHING rubber coated in it causes the drum to jerk and break the belt. That includes tennies and for us, the rubber lined bath mats. None of which will ever enter the door of our dryers again.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 02:52 PM   #23
BuckandTeresa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24683
Splendide

We put one in as we bought the RV, dealer installed. He cut a hole through the wall in the closet, no problems.

Problems did arise from the washer early in the second season. It would fill, agitate, then refuse to drain. I tried everything, internet searches, called Splendide support, and he recommended replacing the drain pump, expensive and very difficult as he described it. I'm pretty mechanical, but wasn't sure I wanted to tackle it.

Next, an appliance repair van pulls in to the RV park to work on their washers. I talked to him, and he explained how to check the lower right front access door to the drain pump impeller. The washer has to be drained before opening the impeller access door, as it is the lowest part of the water system. Naturally, I couldn't get the water out without some spilling on the floor and running into the closet. Once the door is removed, you can look inside to see if junk has gotten in there and blocked the impeller. Stick your finger inside and wipe around it and remove anything in there-- the repairman said he was always finding screws in there from pockets, and once a 1/4" drill bit! Mine was empty and clean, so I followed part two of his instructions and used my finger to turn the green plastic impeller around and around. I put the door back on and it worked!

For a while, anyway...

Same problem several more times in the next two years, very messy. Bought a new model Splendide this January, looks quite different from the original, and no more problems, so far. The RV repair place said they had a lot of problems with the old model, (mine was new in 2019), but he said the new model seems much better.

Side note: this washer is made from parts from Spain, China, and I think the UK. I tried to find what major manufacturer made it and couldn't decide from all the different labels on and in it.

I asked the repair dealer why I couldn't just buy a household compact unit that would fit, and he said no, a home unit pumps water out too fast for the smaller RV drain lines and it backs up. He said that is why people frequently have problems with the impeller as it is designed to pump slower and even sort of slip while spinning.

My wife won't be without a washer and dryer (separate units, vented).

Oh, another tip: before you install them, relocate the water lines and faucets close to the thin closet wall, and cut an access door from the closet to the faucets. The original dealer did not even finger tighten the connections, and first wash cycle leaked water down through the bottom of the front cap and onto the ground. Big hassle getting access. I don't know why the factory plumbing is as far away as possible from the closet wall.
BuckandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:43 PM   #24
jdwinks

M.O.C. #24545
washer/dryer

We went with spledide washer and vented dryer. Self installed. Tight space is a little awkward but manageable. My advise if you self install...do it right--buy the proper size drill bit for dryer vent hole, be sure to install a splill tray for washer. According to the lastest version of Murphy's Law this will guarantee no washer leaks. Don't forget to run a line from the washer spill tray through the floor, through the basement and outside the camper-- in case there is a spill---the water needs somewhere to go. Hardest part for me was connecting the dryer vent pipe---this space is pretty tight.
This is our favorite upgrade. How can you go wrong with clean clothes from your own washer and dryer at your own convenience?
My favorite upgrade----disc brakes but that is for another thread.
Good luck!
jdwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:44 PM   #25
GMcLawhon
Established Member

M.O.C. #30517
Had a splendide stacked pair installed when we purchased our 3121RL. Used it a lot since we lived in our RV for 1.5 years. We love it and couldn't do without it. Works fantastic.
Old 05-29-2022, 04:42 PM   #26
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We had a drain issue with ours when first used. Pulled it out of its cabinet and found the Drain hose twisted restricting flow.
Old 05-29-2022, 05:25 PM   #27
Chrishat

M.O.C. #25587
I went for a lg 24inch all in one, had it for 18 months now, it’s great, runs on 110 volts, no condensation and does it all while I’m asleep,The truck is not to over load it.
Chrishat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:16 PM   #28
Woodturner
Established Member

M.O.C. #19601
We went with the stackable splendide, self installed we love them. I recommend buying a hole saw to drill the dryer vent.
Woodturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:32 PM   #29
hookseter
Established Member

M.O.C. #27463
Washer & dryer

Had an Alpine, Splendid vented, now Montana Splendid vented. Told to stay away from combo. Been full time for about 8 years with no problem.
hookseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 01:52 PM   #30
Flying Dutchman
Established Member

M.O.C. #25148
Hi Tree Top 🙂. We have a Splendide washer/dryer combo. It's a single unit that both washes and dries. It handles only two days worth of clothes, but we like that we don't have to switch from the washer to a dryer. We simply start a load at night and they're dry in the morning. It's a solid machine and we're happy with it.

Karel & Lynn - 2014 Montana 3582RL with Mor/ryde hitch
2017 RAM Longhorn Megacab 3500 Cummins SRW
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Airbags, 4.10 axle ratio
Flying Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 02:19 PM   #31
Annaoinga
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15850
Panda Units

I purchased a Panda washer and separate Panda dryer as they were lower in price and had great reviews. LOVE them! The dryer is vented outside. No issues.
Annaoinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 04:48 AM   #32
jbailey24
Established Member

M.O.C. #13773
Washer Dryer

We bought the Splendide separate unit 7 years ago when we went full time. Dryer is the vented model. Our Montana 3700RL had individual cabinets for the washer and dryer. Found out when you don't have a sewer connection you can still do a load with a 25gal tote tank hooked up.

Old 06-01-2022, 05:18 PM   #33
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
I had a stacking set of washer and dryer when I purchased my 5er. BUT, I don't full time so it wasn't needed. Still wanted to be able to do a quick load now and then should I need to but when away I'll use a laundromat for the sake of using multiple washers and dryers at the same time and being done in an hour instead of taking all afternoon. So I sold them, bought a Splendide washer/dryer combo and built shelves over the top turning the top half (where the dryer had been) into my linen shelves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	12093   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	12094  
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:49 AM   #34
Dobie dogs
Established Member

M.O.C. #15752
I’m trying to remove my dryer from the washer and can’t find any info on how to do this. I did remove the three screws in the front of the dryer but the dryer still won’t move. Do I need access to the rear of the dryer? Or should it lift out?
Dobie dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:33 AM   #35
Dobie dogs
Established Member

M.O.C. #15752
Thanks for any posts to my rescue but I found the info I was looking for. Thanks again
Old 06-07-2022, 10:10 AM   #36
ngravr

M.O.C. #24064
Dryer Vent Location

Most campers have a designated location to drill a hole and put a vent on the side of the camper. We chose to get a Splendide washer/ dryer vented combo so we could leave the upper portion for storage. I had to find a different way to vent the dryer as myself and my DW did not want a dryer vent sticking out the side of our camper. This was my solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dryer vent location Pic 1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	12165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dryer vent location Pic 2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	12166  
ngravr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:43 AM   #37
Dobie dogs
Established Member

M.O.C. #15752
I like it nice idea
I contacted splendide on Monday and the tech support confirmed my diagnosis and offered info on how and where to remove the pump. I have not yet attempted but will soon. I think I’ll also post a video on YouTube to document the process. Since I couldn’t find any videos do this on this model. If I knew if ithis was specific to this manufacturer or not maybe another video would have helped. I’ll reply when I get done with this project.