Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2021, 11:32 AM   #1
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Interesting floorplan (SOB)...

DW found this floorplan today on a Highland Ridge Silverstar 395BHS unit. For what we want to use our unit for, and having intermittent people stay with us, this floorplan would be ideal.

We need a unit that has more than 2 places to sit at for meals, and sleeps more than 4. What's appealing about this floorplan is that it has a separate bedroom for our grandbaby(s) to stay in when they are along with us, and you can leave that bedroom setup all the time. Kitchen is a little small, and that's a negative, but I don't think that I have ever seen anything quite like this layout.

At the end of the day, we've talked about this before on this forum, and there just isn't a lot of innovation in the RV market as a whole. "New" floorplans are typically new because they moved the island over 6", and installed a pantry cabinet. That's not new, that's improved.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1343
Size:	561.9 KB
ID:	10423  

Old 10-23-2021, 02:58 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The bunk area with half bath and extended dining areas would be a plus for guest. But the almost non existent living area would be a definite killer for us. Looking over the kitchen island to see the TV?

But that is what is so great with all the choices out there. Everyone has their own priorities.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:02 PM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
All of our 5th wheels only slept two, kids, or guest went to hotel.

Happy trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:07 PM   #4
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
We have had an occasional guest …..One of our kids and a couple of small grandkids stay with use. But honestly other then that others can get a hotel.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:49 PM   #5
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Yeah, unfortunately, our "guests" are our kids and my mother. We can't ask them to go to a hotel, especially my mom. We will probably have the grandkids some by ourselves while our kids are out on the lake, so having space for them would be good...
Old 10-23-2021, 07:23 PM   #6
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
That looks unusually wide or is my prescription bad?
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:11 PM   #7
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
It is 100", and not the typical 96", but that isn't making that much difference. LOL...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 04:52 AM   #8
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I would NEVER buy any RV based primarily on floor plan.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:41 AM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
If you go to the web site and if you click on the 360 degree view you can get a better look at the bunk house. Doing so, the beds looks extremely narrow.

On the passenger side, the bed looks like it's about 30 inches wide (or less) based on the size of the book laying on it. The entire image is computer generated and could be grossly out of proportion to make it look bigger than it really is. Notice also, that same bed isn't even as wide as the door it blocks going into the bathroom.

On the other side, that dinette table that converts into a bed is also very narrow. The 3-D image and the floor plan is VERY, VERY deceiving, as they make it look much wider than it really is. That style of dinette will sit only 1 person. The design of the cushions also make it look very deceptive.

Click here

So, I then looked for this make and model on YouTube video and had no matches. But this one turned up. It's a near miss. Jump to 2:00 minutes into the video. Again, floor plan is slightly different, but the slide themselves (width) will be the same.

The couch in the video is swapped out for the dinette in 3D image of floor plan (below). The drop down upper bunk is identical in both models. That should help gage how narrow the upper bunk and the dinette-into-a-bed really are.

So yes, the middle of the floor area is probably around 5 feet with both slides in bed-sleep-mode position.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:59 AM   #10
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
I would NEVER buy any RV based primarily on floor plan.
...and neither would we, BUT there are some that we would NOT buy based on the floorplan.

My larger point in this thread is that this floorplan is something different than we've ever seen.

For us, and the way we use our RV, it would be a floorplan that we may be interested in. It's not for everyone though. I think bunkhouse plans are that way in general...
Old 10-24-2021, 03:16 PM   #11
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
DW found this floorplan today on a Highland Ridge Silverstar 395BHS unit. For what we want to use our unit for, and having intermittent people stay with us, this floorplan would be ideal.

We need a unit that has more than 2 places to sit at for meals, and sleeps more than 4. What's appealing about this floorplan is that it has a separate bedroom for our grandbaby(s) to stay in when they are along with us, and you can leave that bedroom setup all the time. Kitchen is a little small, and that's a negative, but I don't think that I have ever seen anything quite like this layout.

At the end of the day, we've talked about this before on this forum, and there just isn't a lot of innovation in the RV market as a whole. "New" floorplans are typically new because they moved the island over 6", and installed a pantry cabinet. That's not new, that's improved.

This "new" floorplan has a lot of similarities to some popular floor plans from about 15 years ago. A buddy of mine still has a 2006 Cameo with a very similar living and bunkhouse area. I guess those rear bunk models have been out of favor for so long that now they seem new again... kind of like clothing styles from the 70s

Brad
Old 10-24-2021, 03:33 PM   #12
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
This "new" floorplan has a lot of similarities to some popular floor plans from about 15 years ago. A buddy of mine still has a 2006 Cameo with a very similar living and bunkhouse area. I guess those rear bunk models have been out of favor for so long that now they seem new again... kind of like clothing styles from the 70s

Brad
LOL!! That's probably true. Back then we would go to the RV shows just to look, but we almost always skipped units that had bunkhouses. Didn't need one then. Don't really "need" one now, but a layout like this would work better than what we have currently, when the kids / grandkids are there...
Old 10-25-2021, 07:40 PM   #13
lookingfornewadventure
Established Member

M.O.C. #29455
I like that they are trying new floor plans, or at least updated older ones. The position of the recliners feels a little awkward. If the dinette was really comfy to hang out on, you might not care. Bunkhouse looks great, and love 2 bathrooms. You would definitely want to get in one to try it out, I would think. I worked in interior design for two decades, and reading a floor plan vs how it “feels” when you are in it can be tricky. Especially because the normal “rules” of spatial design for a home rarely translate to an RV setting. For example, the recliners in this floor plan extend into what is essentially a hallway, forcing traffic to flow through the kitchen if someone is sitting there. Also, when the door is open, you are on “display” if you are sitting in the recliner. This usually leads to an uncomfortable feeling, humans like to be in a bit of a “den” to relax, meaning away from public spaces, like a front door. Of course it always depends on what you are looking for and how you use it!
lookingfornewadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:20 PM   #14
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingfornewadventure View Post

You would definitely want to get in one to try it out, I would think. I worked in interior design for two decades, and reading a floor plan vs how it “feels” when you are in it can be tricky. ...
Our thoughts exactly. Would like to see one, to see if looks as good in person as we think it does on paper.

Your comment about doesn't feel the same, good or bad, once in there, is spot on for sure....
Old 10-27-2021, 04:33 PM   #15
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post

This is somewhat similar to my High Country 2018 358BH. The bunk house in the back has two slides and is where our kids and Grandkids stay. They have their own 1/2 bath, 2- 6’ bunks, and a fold out full size bed. We bought a comfortable mattress to put on the full size fold out. Works great. The kitchen is a peninsula which give us more counter space, and with those kids we need it. King bed master. This is a great great flor plan for us and a family as the kids go in and out the 1/2 bath door and not have to tramp through the whole RV. When we are just the two of us we use the bunk house for storage or often times don’t even open the slides back there.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:07 PM   #16
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
This is somewhat similar to my High Country 2018 358BH. The bunk house in the back has two slides and is where our kids and Grandkids stay. They have their own 1/2 bath, 2- 6’ bunks, and a fold out full size bed. We bought a comfortable mattress to put on the full size fold out. Works great. The kitchen is a peninsula which give us more counter space, and with those kids we need it. King bed master. This is a great great flor plan for us and a family as the kids go in and out the 1/2 bath door and not have to tramp through the whole RV. When we are just the two of us we use the bunk house for storage or often times don’t even open the slides back there.
Well, I guess new isn't as new as I thought, LOL. You are correct that this is very close to the HC FP. As we've looked at more FP's (we are now experiencing FP overload!) the on thing that were noticing about successful BH plans is that they have two slide outs. That makes a very nice idea Le room back there...

Thanks for your input!!
Old 10-28-2021, 07:41 PM   #17
Trout30
Established Member

M.O.C. #28508
Floor plan looks interesting. Perfect for your needs. Looking at all the different floor plans sure can get confusing..at least for us. Like buying your first stick built house. We don't have the family you do...so we stick to the unwritten RV rule; 6 over for cocktails, 4 over for dinner, and 2 (us) for sleeping. Good luck on your floor plan search.
2021 Montana Legacy, 3781RL, Cobalt FBP, Cottage Kitchen, CareFree SOK III toppers, Onan 5.5KW Gen, Solar 300W, 2000W Magnum inverter, Goodyear 17.5" G114's, 2-100 amp Battle Born Batteries, Waste Master w/storage box, Frizz Life water filters, Hughes WatchDog.
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali, 4x4, DuraMax, CC, SRW, SB, PullRite Slider, Truck USA Roll top.
Trout30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:20 PM   #18
derbeedler

M.O.C. #18189
We've been in a 3790 since they came out in 2016. We used the fold out couches a few times and they were adequate.
Currently looking at the 3763bp for our next one based on what we've learned in the last 5 years.
We'll probably wait until the 2nd year of production though to see what bugs they work out.
Love the storage availability on the raised rear floor plans.
derbeedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:07 AM   #19
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Once we introduced the kids to sleeping in a tent, we no longer needed a place for them inside.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:57 AM   #20
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbeedler View Post
We've been in a 3790 since they came out in 2016. We used the fold out couches a few times and they were adequate.
Currently looking at the 3763bp for our next one based on what we've learned in the last 5 years.
We'll probably wait until the 2nd year of production though to see what bugs they work out.
Love the storage availability on the raised rear floor plans.
Thanks for sharing your experience!
We are owners of a 3790 for a few months now, and are enjoying it a lot. I'm curious if you can share what is attracting you to change from the 3790 to the 3763BP.
Thanks in advance!

Brad