Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2022, 05:58 PM   #1
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Key TV?

The picture quality on all three of my TV's is poor, i.e. snowy. I checked the cable connections to each TV and they're tight. I next pulled the Key TV box out and checked all the connections and those too are all tight. I then took the cable connection from the RV park and ran the cable directly to the family room TV and again to one of the other TV's and the picture quality is perfect. Is there another piece of the puzzle I have overlooked, or could the Key TV be the culprit? HELP

2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:24 PM   #2
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
I had to replace my Key TV box but when it went out it did not work at all. I pulled the key tv box out un hooked satellite cable from from back of key tv box and used a barrel connector and hooked the cable from LNB directly to the cable going to the tv it worked perfect. That told me the key box was bad.
scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:26 PM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I don’t believe in coincidences, so I would not think that you have the same issue in multiple areas. If it was just one, I would suggest taking the plates off and checking between them as well. But, since it’s affecting all, I doubt they are all bad. Perhaps concentrating on one TV. Can you take a cable out from KeyTV to one of your TV’s and then use a female to directly connect the cable to a TV using the coach wiring. This will prove that the coach wiring is good and eliminate the cabling as an issue. Also, is this a new issue?
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:49 AM   #4
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
I don’t believe in coincidences, so I would not think that you have the same issue in multiple areas. If it was just one, I would suggest taking the plates off and checking between them as well. But, since it’s affecting all, I doubt they are all bad. Perhaps concentrating on one TV. Can you take a cable out from KeyTV to one of your TV’s and then use a female to directly connect the cable to a TV using the coach wiring. This will prove that the coach wiring is good and eliminate the cabling as an issue. Also, is this a new issue?

Good idea Ron, I will do that next. A process of elimination
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:46 AM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
It’s always something. I had two yesterday. Outside outlet wasn’t working and no breaker tripped. Finally remembered it’s on GFI, yep. Then satellite wasn’t working. Only one light on power inserter. Sure enough that was power from the receiver. Plug was partway out. These RV’s will keep you working.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:17 PM   #6
rvsareus
Established Member

M.O.C. #22863
On my coach, I have a power button for the antenna on the roof. Its where the cable comes in from the outside connection. Mine is in the cabinet near the tv. The power has to be off to get clear cable reception. On when using the antenna.
Ive seen others behind the TVs
rvsareus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 03:44 PM   #7
jefftracie

M.O.C. #23052
These campers are shabby.

I own a 2012 Montana 3402. I’ve had it for several years and have noticed that the newer Montanas all have the cheapest junk appliances, toilets and everything else. I will never buy a new one. My neighbor bought a new one and there is more wrong with it than there is right. Glta. I would say stay away if I were you.
jefftracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:05 AM   #8
Wayne

M.O.C. #10007
I have a 2019 3931FB. The first tv issue that I had was getting no satellite service using the Key TV. After several different suggestions from other folks here , I gave up an ran a direct cable from my receiver down behind fireplace and put a connection in outside. Solved that issue. About 2 months ago I too started getting poor reception on all of the televisions. I took the Key TV unit out and hooked all three sets to a splitter. Now have perfect pictures from cable. Doing this has eliminated the OTA to function. The radio has never worked. I notice a connection on the unit for radio but no cable to be found for it.
I need to order a new replacement Key TV but worry about it not performing any better. Complaining over.
Full time since 2010 and loving it!
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:34 AM   #9
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
In theory keytv sounds great. However, I think that a lot of things that simpler is sometimes better. Maybe a little more work at times, but it works and doesn't break. The more gadgets you have in any area, the more things that can go wrong. See, with a horse and buggy, all we would have to do is put a little food in, cleanup a little s**t up and away we go! HAHA

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:38 AM   #10
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I have a 2019 3931FB. The first tv issue that I had was getting no satellite service using the Key TV. After several different suggestions from other folks here , I gave up an ran a direct cable from my receiver down behind fireplace and put a connection in outside. Solved that issue. About 2 months ago I too started getting poor reception on all of the televisions. I took the Key TV unit out and hooked all three sets to a splitter. Now have perfect pictures from cable. Doing this has eliminated the OTA to function. The radio has never worked. I notice a connection on the unit for radio but no cable to be found for it.
I need to order a new replacement Key TV but worry about it not performing any better. Complaining over.
Since you removed the KeyTV module and installed a splitter the reason your ORA roof antenna doesnt work is it is getting NO 12 volts DC to its internal preamp section to power up...

The 12 volts DC source to the roof OTA antenna is passed on the center pin of the coax... with no KeyTV module in place that is why you have no OTA signals... the KeyTV module was the source for 12 volts up to that roof antenna

All you need to do is wire in a good RV 12 volt DC switch plate and properly attach the coax cables to get 12 volts to the OTA antenna and it will function..
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:18 AM   #11
Wayne

M.O.C. #10007
Thanks for the information and the fix. I learn something with every post.
Full time since 2010 and loving it!
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote