Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2021, 12:02 PM   #1
Cherokee
Established Member

M.O.C. #29650
Taking Delivery

Good afternoon,
We are new to owning a Montana, switched from a Grand Design which had it share of problems.
When we went to pick up our new 3121rl legacy with full body paint we were a little disappointed with Montana’s quality control. Things that need addressing were the following; overspray paint on the inside of windows, finish edge on slide padding mat sewn crooked with raw edges, crown molding has blotches of unmatched stain,(looks like a rag was left on it), vents on floor crooked, light switch cover in bedroom broken, some of drawers will not open all the way, and the big one is, no day/night shades. It only came with the night shades which the dealer was just as surprised as us. Those will be coming in February through warranty, supply issue. The chassis looked great, and the full body paint looked great. I don’t blame the dealer at all. For the money you pay and the hype they promote, just wish they would have inspected it better before they released it.

Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 02:14 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
And just wait till you roll a few miles on that camper and then things shake apart, things you don't see yet! Just wait! It's coming!

Oh! Welcome to the forums... You are in great company here!

in time ... you really will love your Montana. You will.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 03:01 PM   #3
Cherokee
Established Member

M.O.C. #29650
Sometimes we think we are too picky but these things are noticeable now and need to be repaired. I do all my own work, was a Master Mechanic for 37 years. I ended up putting new leaf springs, brakes and tires on our Grand Design plus they put on a new roof just in the first year��
Old 12-24-2021, 07:29 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Good luck with the, new rig.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 08:56 AM   #5
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
Keep a close eye on your ceiling trim. It is a good idea to check it before you put your slides out when you are traveling and stop for a stay. A quick look can save you lots of problems. Been known to fall down and end up in the top of the slide.One of the first things to check is put water in your holding tank and pressure up your water lines and check for leaks with your 12 volt system if it holds pressure your good. Good Luck and safe and happy travels.
scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:52 PM   #6
Cherokee
Established Member

M.O.C. #29650
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba dude View Post
Keep a close eye on your ceiling trim. It is a good idea to check it before you put your slides out when you are traveling and stop for a stay. A quick look can save you lots of problems. Been known to fall down and end up in the top of the slide.One of the first things to check is put water in your holding tank and pressure up your water lines and check for leaks with your 12 volt system if it holds pressure your good. Good Luck and safe and happy travels.
Thank you for the tips, our first trip will be around 1,500 miles. That should shake it down. I don’t mind repairing things that are caused by driving down the road but the deliberate “close enough” attitude from RV manufacturers when they are brand new sucks.
Old 12-24-2021, 01:34 PM   #7
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
I totally agree with you about quality control, but the dealer DOES bear some responsibility because he gets paid to do a Pre Delivery Inspection(PDI) by you the buyer. In so many factories today QC is non existent and is left up to the end user to complain and work thru problems. Oh, and by the way, MERRY CHRISTMAS and enjoy your new fifth wheel and of course, welcome to this great and useful forum.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 01:54 PM   #8
Cherokee
Established Member

M.O.C. #29650
Quote:
Originally Posted by artfuldodger View Post
I totally agree with you about quality control, but the dealer DOES bear some responsibility because he gets paid to do a Pre Delivery Inspection(PDI) by you the buyer. In so many factories today QC is non existent and is left up to the end user to complain and work thru problems. Oh, and by the way, MERRY CHRISTMAS and enjoy your new fifth wheel and of course, welcome to this great and useful forum.
By the way people respond on the site, glad we bought a Montana. This seems like a place where you can get help, give help and even say Merry Christmas! Life don’t get much better��
Old 12-25-2021, 04:59 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
It doesn’t help after the fact but a great dealer and a good PDI go a long way to resolving early issues. I think we had about 7 minor issues. One was a tiny scratch on the stove cover. Don’t think you’re being too picky, none of your dollars were defective. Going to the rallies, over the years we’ve gotten to know many of the Keystone personnel. I can tell you, despite what you read sometimes, they really are listening and try to give a great product. During the tour this year, they related a story about a delivery to Canada. They had telemetry on the trailer. Trailer arrived at the dealer in rough shape. The telemetry showed the driver hit 95 mph. Best of luck with your new Montana. The MOC keeps us coming back to Montana’s and the service keeps us coming back to Leach Camper in Council Bluffs.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 07:40 PM   #10
Cherokee
Established Member

M.O.C. #29650
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
It doesn’t help after the fact but a great dealer and a good PDI go a long way to resolving early issues. I think we had about 7 minor issues. One was a tiny scratch on the stove cover. Don’t think you’re being too picky, none of your dollars were defective. Going to the rallies, over the years we’ve gotten to know many of the Keystone personnel. I can tell you, despite what you read sometimes, they really are listening and try to give a great product. During the tour this year, they related a story about a delivery to Canada. They had telemetry on the trailer. Trailer arrived at the dealer in rough shape. The telemetry showed the driver hit 95 mph. Best of luck with your new Montana. The MOC keeps us coming back to Montana’s and the service keeps us coming back to Leach Camper in Council Bluffs.
Thank you for saying that about Dealer, you are right. They want to make a list and repair later, doesn’t give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Old 12-25-2021, 08:49 PM   #11
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
It doesn’t help after the fact but a great dealer and a good PDI go a long way to resolving early issues. I think we had about 7 minor issues. One was a tiny with your new Montana. The MOC keeps us coming back to Montana’s and the service keeps us coming back to Leach Camper in Council Bluffs.
Wow, Ron. You go a long way to a dealer! My dealer in mesa, az got bought out and I think service went down some (and hourly rate went from 80 to 100. Then some of the owner group bought it out again and now rate is $140. This is in about 8 years.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 07:21 AM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Tom, many MOC members have purchased through Leach. They are still privately owned and Ed Leach is at the dealership almost everyday. I was hesitant to buy 500 miles from home. But Rondo and Kelpe’s vouched for them. When I have a service issue, they get the info, order any necessary parts and I pull in at 8:30 am on the day of my appointment. They pull it in, fix it and I’m on my way at the end of the day. I didn’t price anywhere else on my new 3230. We asked ourselves how much more we would pay to not have the pain others have gone through. Priceless. Plus, Leach is between our house and our daughter’s. Before I get there for our PDI, they have already filled the tanks to check for leaks, dumped, tried all of the systems, fixed cosmetic issues, etc. We really have to look to find even picky issues. We also had them install our Valterra valves, Sea Level Gages and Satellite so they are all covered under extended warranty.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 08:23 AM   #13
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
DW and i just got our 3121ck. my buddy and i were doing the pdi.. and when i was called to do the paperwork.. he kept plugging away. we found a couple of things... one was on the roof (and i'm a waterproofing consultant) and the tech at kunesrv fixed that. they had winterized the monty before i got there.. and i told them that i'll be checking all systems prior to leaving.. so they re-attached the water and fired up the washer/dryer, and water systems.. then after my buddy and i did 'our pdi, they re-winterized the rig.

well see as our first trip is on thursday.
Old 12-26-2021, 08:42 AM   #14
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Tom, many MOC members have purchased through Leach. They are still privately owned and Ed Leach is at the dealership almost everyday. I was hesitant to buy 500 miles from home. But Rondo and Kelpe’s vouched for them. When I have a service issue, they get the info, order any necessary parts and I pull in at 8:30 am on the day of my appointment. They pull it in, fix it and I’m on my way at the end of the day. I didn’t price anywhere else on my new 3230. We asked ourselves how much more we would pay to not have the under extended warranty.
Ron, I wish they were closer. It is probably 1400 miles from here. Oh well!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 03:21 PM   #15
Flashracer
Established Member

M.O.C. #30102
My 2022 3121RL has many quality issues. I bought my rig 160 miles away from me. Waiting on parts. Can’t even use it unless I have a bucket in the basement to catch the drips. Pretty disappointed.
Flashracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 05:21 PM   #16
Cherokee
Established Member

M.O.C. #29650
That’s terrible, we kept a good portion of the money until everything is fixed to our satisfaction. Did your 3121rl come with day/night shades?
Old 12-26-2021, 08:19 PM   #17
Flashracer
Established Member

M.O.C. #30102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
That’s terrible, we kept a good portion of the money until everything is fixed to our satisfaction. Did your 3121rl come with day/night shades?
Unfortunately we paid for it already. Dealer is going to take care of it. Ours had the day/night shade but one had a glob of something on the day shade. I fixed that. Our microwave was missing the glass turntable and missing remote for stereo,6 damaged decals. Leak from drain in basement, 2 floor vents with flashing sticking out. Cut hazard. Dealer just moved vents crooked which I had to fix. Inverter display worked until I got it home but now it shows error code. That’s on order. 3 fan blades damaged. Bathroom sink trap is so darn crooked, I hope they can fix it. I hope they can fix the basement waste pipe. Antifreeze drips. We are waiting on microwave plate and inverter.
Flashracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 08:25 PM   #18
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
Did you buy it in Muskegon?

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 08:27 PM   #19
Cherokee
Established Member

M.O.C. #29650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashracer View Post
Unfortunately we paid for it already. Dealer is going to take care of it. Ours had the day/night shade but one had a glob of something on the day shade. I fixed that. Our microwave was missing the glass turntable and missing remote for stereo,6 damaged decals. Leak from drain in basement, 2 floor vents with flashing sticking out. Cut hazard. Dealer just moved vents crooked which I had to fix. Inverter display worked until I got it home but now it shows error code. That’s on order. 3 fan blades damaged. Bathroom sink trap is so darn crooked, I hope they can fix it. I hope they can fix the basement waste pipe. Antifreeze drips. We are waiting on microwave plate and inverter.
That’s a big list, I hope your dealer takes care of you.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:50 PM   #20
Cherokee
Established Member

M.O.C. #29650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet28 View Post
Did you buy it in Muskegon?
No, down near southern Michigan.