Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2024, 11:14 AM   #1
TWC84
Established Member

M.O.C. #20918
Spring Bolt Replacement

Lost a spring bolt on our last trip out. Was able to make a temporary repair, but have ordered a replacement set of wet bolts from MorRyde. I plan to replace all of the wet bolts to be safe and want to do the work myself. One question I have is what type of grease is appropriate for the wet bolts? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 03-14-2024, 11:38 AM   #2
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Dexter manual in the link below doesn’t say which grease for wet bolts but use the same as your bearing grease. See page 53 for a list of greases and page 66 for wet bolt info and torques. (I like Mobil 1 but lots of folks don’t like it and have their own preferences.)

Make sure this manual is for your axle weight. Other manuals available at Dexter.

https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...viceOnline.pdf
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 12:08 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I also use the Mobil 1 red synthetic grease. It's on the list in the Dexter manual page 53.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 08:00 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I like Lucas Red and Tacky grease.
I watched a YouTube video testing various greases under different harsh conditions and Lucas came out on top every time.
Buy a "Lock & Lube" grease gun fitting. Very handy.

When you are installing the new bolts you want to install them with the grease passage at 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock. This ensures when you pump grease in, the passage is not blocked by the spring.
With weight on wheels, make a note of the position of the shackles and bolts. Mark a line horizontally with a sharpie across the shackles and bolt head. Take a picture.
When you jack up your rig, the shackles will flip as the weight comes off the wheels/axles. Note the new position of the line you drew. Take a picture.
When you install the new bolts, align the grease passage with the line on the Shackle.
When you put the wheels back on the ground the shackles should flip back to their normal weight on wheels position the line should be horizontal and the grease passage in the bolts should be at 3 or 9 o'clock.
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 06:39 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If all the wet bolts are being replaced, you probably should also consider replacing the bronze bushings at the same time, as they will have quite a bit a wear if you are experiencing breaking bolts already. Greasing every 3,000 miles or sooner will also extend the life of the bolts and bushings, this the recommended frequency by Dexter.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 07:39 AM   #6
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Since you are right there with the jacks and such to replace the wet bolts replace the bushings as well.. I simply would not install new wet bolts without new bronze bushings... They will be shot..

Lucas Red & Tacky is all I have used on my RVs for the last 50 years... wheel bearings, suspension.. nothing but Red & Tacky.. Its also the only grease I use on my autos.
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 01:30 PM   #7
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I gave up on the horse and buggy suspension on my unit back in 2020 after breaking or losing several wet bolts. I even replaced the whole shooting match Springs bolts shackles the whole nine yards. It didn't matter what kind of Grease how much you greased it then bushings wearing half in no time and you're back to square one again.
I know it's expensive but look into the more ride independent suspension. It's the only real permanent fix.
Couple that with disc brakes and your unit will be nearly indestructible. No more Springs no more wet bolts no more magnet problems no more grease seal problems.
Some of the best money I ever spent
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 06:39 AM   #8
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I gave up on the horse and buggy suspension on my unit back in 2020 after breaking or losing several wet bolts. I even replaced the whole shooting match Springs bolts shackles the whole nine yards. It didn't matter what kind of Grease how much you greased it then bushings wearing half in no time and you're back to square one again.
I know it's expensive but look into the more ride independent suspension. It's the only real permanent fix.
Couple that with disc brakes and your unit will be nearly indestructible. No more Springs no more wet bolts no more magnet problems no more grease seal problems.
Some of the best money I ever spent
Have you had to changer the rubber springs yet?
When I get mine out for the season I'll have to change another pair.
Air ride system would have been a better & more durable solution.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 08:45 AM   #9
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
Have you had to changer the rubber springs yet?
When I get mine out for the season I'll have to change another pair.
Air ride system would have been a better & more durable solution.
Long story but in the very beginning I had to swap them out for a heavier set and more ride paid for all that.
We only go 2-3,000 Mi a year.
I would imagine they should last tens of thousands of miles. If you're changing them out that often you're traveling lots of miles or maybe your unit is too heavy for the springs that are in there
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 11:43 AM   #10
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Shame they don't have a facility in the SW.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 12:27 PM   #11
TWC84
Established Member

M.O.C. #20918
Thanks for the replies!
Old 03-24-2024, 05:42 PM   #12
TWC84
Established Member

M.O.C. #20918
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
If all the wet bolts are being replaced, you probably should also consider replacing the bronze bushings at the same time, as they will have quite a bit a wear if you are experiencing breaking bolts already. Greasing every 3,000 miles or sooner will also extend the life of the bolts and bushings, this the recommended frequency by Dexter.
I started the wet bolt replacement today and I ran into issues removing the existing bronze bushings. They actually looked ok but I'm not sure just a visual inspection is adequate. I didn't see any cracks or degradation. Anyway, what's what's the best way to get them out? Is there a specific tool that I should use?