Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
N5PHT
Established Member

M.O.C. #13754
50 Amp leg question

I recently installed 50 amp service at our home for when parked at home. I have a Surge Protector that reads the voltage and amps on each leg. Anyway, long story short I discovered my 2 A/C units are on the same leg. I wondered if this is common. We have the High Country 343RL. With both a/c running I was pulling about 30 amps so plenty to spare on that leg but just wondered if other Montana were set up that way? The other leg has washer/dryer and fireplace and basically the other amp heavy items so I suppose that is the reason but it would seem to me that the two largest amp draws (the two a/c units) should be on different legs or am I missing something?

I suppose the breakers could be moved around but I really don't want to do that myself.

I am not sure how to include a picture on this forum but I do have a picture of my breaker box and it shows the two a/c units and the magic fan and GFI on on side and the other side has the rest it would appear from the picture. I have tested and watched the amps on the two a/c units and they are definitely on the same leg. I do not have a washer/dryer installed and use the dryer breaker outlet to plug in an electric heater as needed.

N5PHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:32 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Moving one AC to the other leg is easy to do. Have someone with electrical knowledge help you.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:36 AM   #3
dmacy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8921
I have heard this before with factory installed A/C units. I added a second AC unit myself and split them between the two legs. The main A/C is on one leg and the bedroom A/C on the other. The bedroom shares one leg with some of the high draw items as it is not used as much as the main one. I would put the washer and drier on the same leg as the second A/C and the the fireplace on the other leg with the main A/C ( you probably won't run the fireplace the same as the A/C). You just want to balance both legs. Unfortunately you will need to move breakers to make this work. In the long run you will avoid future problems and they always happen at the most inopportune moments.
dmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:08 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Common, I think the installers just arbitrarily plug in a breaker at the most convenient spot for them, they turn on the A/C if nothing smells smoky, they go to lunch
Jim Fischer gives great advice backed up with a lifetime of experience and wisdom..
(Dang, I hope he doesn't read this, he will get a big head)
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:54 AM   #5
jhudson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13711
In my work tracing down my electrical issue last week, I noticed that my living room A/C is on one leg and the bedroom A/C is on the other. The breakers are not very hard to move around but look first you might only have to move wires around if you have breakers of the correct amperage on each leg.

Jay
jhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
My 343RL was wired the same, dealer caught it during their inspection and switched wire to the other leg, before our PDI, it happens.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #7
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Our 2009 3665RE is the same way and I haven’t changed it yet.

I don’t think moving the breaker will help. My breakers are tandem breakers like used on a 220 v appliance. Moving the breaker will not change the leg the AC is on.

I will have to move some wires.
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
After reading the above I decided to check mine. Mine are split which was apparently done at the factory. Verified by checking readout on EMS. I'll have to find something else to do!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Phil,
Those aren't 240 volt breakers, they are twin breakers that share the same buss leg and can not be used for two pole (240 volt) breakers.
Ozz,
Too late, thanks for the kudos.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

Phil,
Those aren't 240 volt breakers, they are twin breakers that share the same buss leg and can not be used for two pole (240 volt) breakers.
Ozz,
Too late, thanks for the kudos.
Hi

I pulled one breaker. It was a standard 220 V breaker with the pin between the 2 levers removed.

At this time I don’t remember which breaker it was and I was in there tightening the lugs on the main power cord. It could have been the main disconnect breaker. When I get a chance I will look closer.

We are leaving in the morning for 4 days with the trailer.

Phil
Old 10-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
It had to be the main breaker as that is the only two pole breaker in the panel.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #12
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Related question...
How do you tell which breakers are on which leg while looking at the breaker box?

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #13
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
If the main breaker (the 50 amp) is in the middle, to the left is one leg and the right, the other leg. If your main breaker is on one side, then every other twin breaker is on an alternating (A,B,A,B, etc.)50 amp leg.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:13 PM   #14
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Looked again pulled all breakers they all are 2 pole and each side contacts 2 buss bars with no pin between them so they can be used independent.

I do find this odd because a new 220 breaker like these are pinned inside the lower housing so you can’t remove the pin.

While I was at it I tightened all wire connections

Phil P