Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
What road to travel?

Hi,

As we are yearlings to the RV community, I continue to come up with questions to make our lives easier on the road. While traveling on our M/C, we pull a tent trailer and can go just about anywhere that has pavement. Never did we have concerns about getting a site or a place to park. This has been the biggest adjustment we have encountered. Starbucks just is not that easy in and out anymore.

For those who take vacations and weekends, how do you choose your routes? When we travel close to home, I know the roads and have no problem, but going out of the area is a different story. For example, Lori and I are planning on attending the spring rally in June. Straight shot down I-5 to get there, no big deal. We have to leave a couple days early and head to Spokane. I want to cut across the mountains, hit 97 and stay a night in Kahneeta, then eventually hook up with 395 and up to the Spokane area. I have not traveled the central mountain area much and am not sure of which route would be off the beaten path but still acceptable for my fifth wheel.

Share your thoughts with me please. I cant turn around or park as easy now!

Steve

sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You should get a lot of replies to your question about which road(s) to travel. For us, all we do is set up our route on Street Atlas, then follow the route(s) via GPS (with minor exceptions, of course). We make route adjustments as we travel.

Every RVer has their own method of travel, that which is convenient for them. No one model is better than another one. It's what works for you that is most important. Do you want to go point-to-point or are you interested in by-way trips. You make the decision and then go with it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Check out GPS downloads for stuff like low bridges, etc., course, that only helps if you own a GPS!

Truckers atlas, very handy, Tana and Big Butt are 53 foot running, add 2 foot more if we tote bikes on the front of Big Butt, so, we are basically the size of the box of an 18 wheeler.

You can take a unit down a lot of 2 lane highways, US highways are usually pretty safe, but, check out the 2 suggestions above.

We like truck stops for lunch, etc. Or large rest areas, watch out for rest areas that are heavily treed. Roofs beware.

Exit Authority and there is one for truck stops, etc (name escapes me at the moment). We have a copy of both of those in the truck, and use frequently.

Campsites in National parks, and some state parks may be a tad difficult to get into. Course if you boon dock, I hear there are some great sites out west for that, terrific views too!

Campsites in the west of the US for the most part, will be easier to get into that some campsites in the far NE.

All rules have exceptions. But, for us, the we are a 18 wheeler mentality works pretty good most of the time.

All rules have exceptions.

Have fun!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
I've run those roads you talk about in my 3075 Tana with absolutley no problems.

I don't even worry about the roads I will take and have never had a big problem. I've pulled into a few wineries and have had a bit of a problem turning around but really no big deal.

If you are traveling the regular roads even secondary you should have no problems.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Steve -
We also hit coffee spots and the like. If they are in a shopping center parking lot, no problem. If they are on a street, we might have to walk a little bit, but we get there. We favor Dunkin Donuts coffee, but have been known to have a Starbucks occasionally. No, you won't be going through the drive-thru lane, but you can make do. Good luck and also use the GPS advice above. Street Atlas, MS Streets and Trips, Garmin and Tom Tom all have followings here. You can find a pretty good deal on SA or MS S&T with a GPS receiver if you have a laptop. Otherwise, the Garmin and Tom Tom's start about $100 and go up with features.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Here is a web site for low underpasses/bridges:
http://www.aitaonline.com/Info/Road/...learances.html

If hitting mountains, I also recommend the books "Mountain Directory West" and East if you head that way. In the Rockies there are some roads they call "Oh My God Hill"!!! and other names. People die on these roads if brakes are bad and/or you go too fast. These books also list very narrow or winding roads. I know (tho haven't driven) a road between Oregon and Washington that is either too narrow or has low bridges on it. So although most state hiways are fine, some ARE NOT!!
Good luck. (Don't mean to scare you - just have to be careful)

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I use the truckers atlas put out by Rand McNally. Use this for gross navigation. Then use Google maps and finally our indash GPS. I think it is best to use multiple sources of navigation....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
twindman

Do you happen to remember where you got the book on Mountains??
Old 03-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #9
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Carol, campering world.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We use MS St. & Trips to plan the trip route, then use MS Live Search Maps and fly the route, then when on the road use the Garmin GPS. We are at 55' (Truck and 5er) so we try to make sure where we are going before we go...but we have driven through a drivethrus now and then due to wrong turns. This site has some great downloads of POI for your GPS www.discoveryowners.com/cginfolinks.htm like low clearances, Wal-Marts, Costcos, dump stations, etc...
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #11
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I’ve pulled trailers for several years. When I got the Monty it changed how I thought about the roads I travel. My main concern is getting into a situation where I come upon a low bridge. This Link is a file for low bridges for a TomTom and Garmin GPS. It can be a big help.

OTOH,I soon started noticing that almost everywhere we go we see a tractor trailer and I know if they can go there then most likely I will be able to as well. I think it’s mainly a mind set in getting used to it and always staying aware of our surroundings.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:47 AM   #12
goin2themountains
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9063
Have the same low clearance thoughts as one of the low clearance tunnels in CO is over a pass we frequent. Specs. on the new 'tana say 12'9", and I had vent covers put on before we took delivery so had been concerned. This past weekend I climbed on the roof, and with assistance from the ground, did several measurements. Even with the vent covers, I show an actual of 12'7" which did make me a little more confident in knowing where I can go.
goin2themountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:01 AM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
sfretts,
We use the Rand McNally 2009 Deluxe Motor Carriers Road Atlas.

If the trucks can go there, we can go there.

The best prices for these are found at the larger truck stops.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #14
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I agree with everyone on the follow the 18-wheelers and you can make it. A few unique situations that I have surprisingly avoided is the low bridge issue. I remember driving to Homer, Alaska, --after we dropped the Monty off, we went exploring. We drove down an older road to a RV Park near the beach on the Cook Inlet. About 1/2 mile from the park there was an old iron structured bridge to cross with a 11 foot clearance! Boy was I glad to not have to back up that 2 lane road. My lesson--stick to well marked newer roads and check your references on bridges!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:39 AM   #15
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

twindman

Carol,
Here is a link to website that sells the book: Mountain Directory West Don't know how much it is at Camping World but looks like you can get it "NEW" for $16.61 + shipping from Amazon and even less if you buy it used.

r,
Jack
Old 03-05-2009, 04:45 AM   #16
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill-N-Donna

This Link is a file for low bridges for a TomTom and Garmin GPS. It can be a big help.
Does anyone know how to install the data contained in this file on a Garmin "nuvi" series GPS??? Thanks in advance.
r,
Jack
Old 03-05-2009, 06:08 AM   #17
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jackel1959

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill-N-Donna

This Link is a file for low bridges for a TomTom and Garmin GPS. It can be a big help.
Does anyone know how to install the data contained in this file on a Garmin "nuvi" series GPS??? Thanks in advance.
r,
Jack

I just saved it in the computer in the TomTom file and when I up-dated the TomTom it was there. There was a thread on this somewhere which may be more specific than what I’ve stated but I think there is a set of instructions along with the file if my memory serves me correctly.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #18
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

twindman

I think online. Just search for 'Mountain Directory West' - it showed up on Amazon. Publisher = R & R Publishing.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #19
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We found the Mountain book online, actually Al snooped around till he found the publisher, it can be purchased directly from them.

thanks for all the good info MOCers!!
Old 03-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The deluxe copy of the Motor Carriers Road Atlas has laminated pages and cost quite a bit more than the paper back version. Since it is a yearly update I just buy the paper back version for less than $20 and toss it each year. Updated versions have the newest heights and restrictions.

Like others, I use MS S&T to plan my route, then plug the destinations into the GPS and use the GPS as a reference. If I don't want to follow the GPS, it catches up with me and gives m a new route.

Here is a site that lists a lot of useful books. Virtual Truck Route web site

Besides the books, which can be outdated, I check the American Independent Truckers Association web site for low clearances.

As stated on the AITA web site, there may be other clearances that have not been reported. I'm always watching for that yellow sign on the side of the road, or for sure, the overpass sign. Like others have said, if an 18 wheeler can do it, so can I. (I think)

Also, the POI's on the MOC may be outdated. I'll see if I can find an updated version and notify Glenn.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote