Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Rear Kitchens & Holding Tanks

We have an '05 297 RKS FW Mountaineer.Is there a rule of thumb as to how often you empty the gray and galley tanks.
I'm guessing the gray backs up into the shower and the kitchen sink doesn't drain. I sure I haven't run 15 gallons into the sink and it shows full already.

Thanks
Ray

jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ray, You are probably experiencing faulty indicator readings, likely due to grease build up on the galley tank sensors. It is very common. Many or us don't pay a lot of attention to them after we get familiar with how the tanks fill. We seldom if ever fill the gray and galley tanks before the black tank is ready to be dumped. We are full timers and I dump the tanks about every 4 or 5 days.

You are right. The shower will stop draining and the kitchen sink will quit draining as well when the tanks are full to the brim. By keying off the black tank, we are able to manage them all satisfactorily.

To get more reliable tank level information, you will probably need to retrofit a better monitoring system (externally mounted rather than internal). Camping World has one they will install. I haven't done it, so I have no idea about cost.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Stiles, we have only had the unit for about 10 months and have been on about 7 trips. This time out we were driveway camping at our DD house. Lucky for us they have a sewer cleanout in their front garden.I just use a cut off hose to drain with and I noticed that not a lot of water drained out of the galley or gray water tanks although the gauges showed full.I can hear when the black tank starts to fill but I think I'm draining the other two more often than I need too.

Ray
Old 10-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Ray,

We do it just a little different than Stiles. When the black tank is full, we take that opportunity to dump both the galley tank and the gray tank afterwards to clean out the drain hoses.

When in a campground, our galley and gray tanks fill up several times before the black tank, so, we dump them then as needed.

Like Stiles says, forget those indicators, they are worthless. We only measure our fresh water on that gauge.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Check your unit for size of holding tanks, believe up till the last year or so, Montana and Mountaineer were 38 gallons black, 38 gallons gray and 38 gallons galley.

Now, this ain't the most pleasant thing in the world to do, but, since you are dumping with a hose anyway, see if you can find a 5 gallon pail and count how many you fill from the galley or gray. (For obvious reasons, this is not suggested for the other tank, ewwww )

It might be that you really are full on both the galley and the gray, and it is draining faster than you think.

Unless you measure in a case like yours, you are just guessing. Stuff fools us that way!

After many years of camping and rving, we can make those tanks last a really long time if we gotta. Short showers, don't let the water run while you are soaping up. Easy on the dishwashing too. It is amazing how much water will go into those tanks if ya let it run, fills em up FAST!!

Good luck and let us know the outcome if you try my "solution".

ON EDIT: If you have grandkids along, all bets are off, whewie, can they go through the water! Since ours go only during the summer, we use the campground facilities for showers and bathroom duty, gramma does the dishes and we really monitor nighttime toilet use. In fact, we turn the pump off (we are usually at a state campsite), just so they cannot flood the toilet.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #6
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
I find I dump the gray tanks about twice as often as the black. I am in a seasonal site. Even though it is a pain to get out and dump the tanks I resist leaving the dump valves open. The chance of a blocked black tank and grease and solid waste build up in the kitchen tank are just too great. I use the bathroom gray tank to flush the hose after I dump the black tank. I have a 3585 with the two dump locations, the kitchen one aft and the combined black tank and fwd gray tank at the convenience centre. I made a "T" fitting that takes the two hoses. It friction fits into the CG sewer pipe. I am thinking about running a pipe from the aft dump to join up with the fwd one but for now I have to put up with the two locations, two hoses and hose supports.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #7
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
MrsCountryGuy, thanks for the info. Never thought about measuring it. I might even try it when we get home. We have an RV dump going into the septic.

Thanks
Ray
Old 10-28-2008, 05:49 PM   #8
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We are camped for several months right now. Hubby leaves the black tank closed, but leaves the grey tanks slightly open. I was wondering why they weren't filling up as quickly. When the black tank is about half full, he closes the grey tanks and then dumps all three tanks a day or two later.

I always wipe off dishes and pots and pans with paper towels to get rid of debris and grease. I then wash my dishes in a tub that fits in my sink. I carry that water out and dump it outside when I am done. I try to keep as much grease, etc out of my grey tanks.

I don't think our gauge has ever worked properly.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:08 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ditto on most of what has been posted with exception.
I figure if need to dump the galley, and gray, I may as well go ahead and simply pull the handle on the black first. (First to use the gray and galley to flush hose - although I have a flush attachment for the hose also). Typically 3-4 days on dumping. Back flush, back flush, back flush on the black tank cannot be expressed enough.

There have been several topics on how to clean, from putting ice in the black tank before driving down the roads to let it agitate the sides, to powerful and not so powerful cleaners. Just about everyone agrees that Calgon, or similar is a great help in lubricity of the sides of the tank.

Good luck - happy flushing!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:38 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Colleen,

Just a small heads up on your dish washing procedure, dumping that on the ground here in Michigan is against state law. Not sure bout other places in the US.

It is our opinion, that leaving the gray and/or galley tanks open, in part, or in full, is a bad idea. We have seen the concrete-like residue that hardens on the sides and bottom of the tanks when allowed to go dry. Soap scum is amazingly snarly. SIGH That scum/conrete is what we feel disables the tank sensors.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
We always dump the galley way more often than the other two. We are at a permanent site although we aren't permanent and wash dishes like we are at the stick house. We get very conservative running galley water when we go to a state park where we have to cart it away. And the galley water doesn't smell like rose water either.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #12
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
We think that dumping grey water messes up the site for future campers and attracts animals like raccoons and skunks.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:47 AM   #13
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
When I said "Dump" I didn't mean on the ground. We don't do that.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:10 PM   #14
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Our comment was in response to what driftwoodgal wrote about dumping the dishwater outside.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #15
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
For the kitchen galley I use the Flushking. Gets those sensors working again. http://www.flushking.com/
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:27 AM   #16
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
We use a similar item by Camco RV. The clear part is very handy for seeing progress and quality of results...
Old 11-03-2008, 04:35 AM   #17
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
I agree with most of what has been said, we generally get 3 to 4 days before we need to pull the handles. I also go on and dump all three tanks when the time comes. I often will let the gray fill knowingly especially when Mary Elizabeth is going to shower. The screams from the shower stall as the water starts to not drain and begins to fill the basin is music to my ears. Of course this is just before the fight which I dutifully lose with grace I might add. Jon
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:54 AM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Colleen,

Just a small heads up on your dish washing procedure, dumping that on the ground here in Michigan is against state law. Not sure bout other places in the US.

It is our opinion, that leaving the gray and/or galley tanks open, in part, or in full, is a bad idea. We have seen the concrete-like residue that hardens on the sides and bottom of the tanks when allowed to go dry. Soap scum is amazingly snarly. SIGH That scum/conrete is what we feel disables the tank sensors.
Without a doubt, dumping grey water on the ground in most areas is against the law. I think the only place where we found it to be allowed was in my aunt's back yard!!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:35 AM   #19
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Sadly, it's not against the law in Ontario and we often notice hoses leading from trailers, especially pop-ups, into the brush. An Ontario Parks staffer mentioned that they will be starting to educate the public. I suggested that, instead of brow-beating the public about the environment, remind them that skunks and coons are attracted to food smells.