Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2008, 05:49 AM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Roof openings on 2955RL

DH wants me to ask about the 6 inch roof openings. The original covers were ruined by UV rays from the sun and had become brittle and breaking away. He replaced them with 6 inch sewer caps. Now he is wondering if now that he has sealed everything off if they were meant to be vented. Can anyone tell us what the purpose of the 6 inch openings is and if they need to be vented? Thanks again for all your great support. I know I will get some really interesting responses!! Joanie

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:39 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
If they are what I think they are they are roof vents and must not be sealed.

Below is a pic of my 3485 roof..

The roof vents are at either end of the trailer and are about 6" in diameter
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Glenn...DH says you are right on the money. He is going to drill holes in them to allow air to escape. The repair is still cheaper than buying the covers from Keystone where they get $18 a piece for them. We paid approx. $7.50 each and they look like they will last a long long time. He put an extension on the bolt and drilled a hole in the top to screw it all together. He figured that Keystone went to a lot of trouble to lift the caps off the deck so they must be for ventilation. He just wanted confirmation from someone who really knows. Joanie
Old 10-10-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Glad I could help. I took the pics last year from my daughters deck just figuring one day they may come in handy.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Just be sure to drill the holes where rain can't get in, or your
$9 pocket change will cost a bunch more in the long run.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:08 AM   #6
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Thanks Brad. He is drilling 3/16 inch holes on the side that will be facing backward away from the wind. He is also installing screening material on the inside to kept the critters out. We had some extra screen from the door modification he made. We took our little beagle Skippy with us when we went to 1000 trails in Orlando last month. He is a rescue dog that is 5 years old and we got him last Thanksgiving week. Skippy has separation anxiety when Dave leaves, so we took him with us and gave him short times alone in the "Casa". He did so well that we went out to dinner one night. Well...now you know why we needed some screening material. Dave bought a grate to fit over the lower portion of the door and installed it on the inside. No more torn screen!! I will take a picture and post it where other animal lovers can see it. Thanks guys for the help. Joanie