Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Leak from road water on big slide

It has been raining in Virginia lately. I noticed soon after purchasing our Montana 3485 SA that water off the tires or perhaps the road was entering the front corner of the big slide and dampening the carpet. The dealer stated that the slide needed adjusting which they did.
Well our first trip in the rain this spring and same problem again.
Anyone else have this problem or perhaps a solution?
lcarter

lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lcarter

It has been raining in Virginia lately. I noticed soon after purchasing our Montana 3485 SA that water off the tires or perhaps the road was entering the front corner of the big slide and dampening the carpet. The dealer stated that the slide needed adjusting which they did.
Well our first trip in the rain this spring and same problem again.
Anyone else have this problem or perhaps a solution?
lcarter
We just pulled our 3400 RL for the first time last month and we didn't hit any rain, however I did notice dirt in the corners of all slides. Need to keep an eye on ours if we ever tow in rainy weather.Will be interested in responses.
Thanks for the "heads up" !
Chris
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
If I was in you're position, I'd adjust the slide myself. It's rather simple, all the directions are in the owner's manual (for the slide, not the Montana). Loosen a couple of bolts, adjust, tighten the bolts, that's it.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:53 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It sounds to me like you either have a missing seal or the one that is there is not doing the job. It might be folder under or even loose on one end. I'd suggest you open the slide to take a look at what's there, then close it to see if they seem to be operating properly (the seals). You could run a trouble light or bright flashlight along the slide edges when it's dark outside and see if someone inside the rig sees any light.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Thanks, the light sounds like a good idea. Slide adjustment did not seem to change or influence the problem. I will take alook.
lcarter
lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
sreigle I think nailed this. I too have this road wetting in front of big slide when towing in a heavy rain. I try not to tow in rain or wind. seriously, I am trying to plan my life so if the weather is bad, I can just layover a day or two.

Next, we use plastic or towels to try to fight the water. The wheel well is just outside of this location. Third, we turn on a fan to dry out the area and run it overnite.

I did inspect my rubber seals. the long seal at the bottom of the slide, actually attached to the wall of the coach that the slide seals against, that had detached in a place. I reglued. My seal looks like it is not installed in a straigt line, and may be, just speculation, not installed in the correct location.

My dealer adjusted my slide too which did nothing to correct the issue. For what its worth.

Good luck
Gen

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
that was the one problem I had with my montana that the dealer could not duplicate and did not fix, it was a ratyher simple repair. Mine was on the curb side. I noticed that the street side had a rubber seal between the frame and the slide the kitchen slide did not. So I got some D seal moulding from my dealer and repaired it myself. The one thing to check is to make sure that when your slide is closed it is sealed tight mine had a opening big enough that my hand would fit through it I took some of that D moulding and made a shield so water could not get in and used some silicone to help with the seal. Have not had any water sence ..Knock on wood. Good luck and hoope this helps, Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote