Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2008, 04:01 AM   #1
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
DC Pump Won't Pump

Any thoughts short of replacing it? It makes a noise, but won't move water. I can't tell if the impeller is turning or not. I do have water in the fresh tank. It's very difficult for a "fat man" to get to, so if I have to take it out to check it, I'll probably just replace it. I thought maybe it could be "primed" or "rapped upon" or something to wake it up ??

VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:28 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I find I have to open a faucet to relieve pressure on the discharge side of the pump so it will pick up prime.
I hope this helps. Good luck,
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Like John said. Turn on a faucet and let it run for awhile. I've had it take as long as a couple of minutes before it would pick up the prime. If that does not work then you may have a blockage.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
By any chance, could the fresh water tank filler valve be open and the pump is recirculating the water back into the tank? Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:36 AM   #5
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Did you winterize the system ? Could then pump still be set up to take antifreeze out of the Jug?

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
On our rig, there's a valve right at the water pump that has to be turned a certain way to allow water to run thru the lines. We've been through a couple of times where the pump made noise but wouldn't pump water. It was either because we didn't have the faucet open long enough to bleed the air out of the line or that valve wasn't turned correctly.

Hopefully you don't have to replace the pump.... is it as old (8 years) as the rig? Might just be it's time?

Margee.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I tried the open faucet, but we'll be on the move tomorrow so I'll check it again.
Our TT is so old that it doesn't have the filler valve or the winterizer valve - which brings us to Doug's observation, "It may just be time".
Old 04-25-2008, 06:51 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I gently tapped on the business end of the pump with a small ball peen hammer, opened a faucet, turned on the pump and VOILA - WATER !!! I don't know if it was just the open faucet (I know I did that a couple of times before with no luck) but I suspect maybe a little mineral deposits on the impeller shaft or something. Thanks for your advice and encouragement or I would have had it replaced - now I have more gas $$$ for travels!!
Old 04-25-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Watch out, Wayne M. will tell you to get a bigger hammer. Glad it is working.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Never would have happened John. I would have told him to try sucking on the water faucet to prime it.

Did I say that.

Glad it's fixed and I hope it stays fixed for another 8 years.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote