Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2008, 01:58 AM   #1
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
What is That Knocking Noise?

We recently spent 4 days at the Silver River Florida State Park. Shortly after daybreak on the 1st morning we were there, I heard a continual knocking or thud that seemed to originate in the vicinity of the hitch. This is on my side of the bed and the noise woke me up. I decided to wait until after I took the dogs for their morning walk before looking for the source of the noise.

When I got back from the walk, got the pooches back into K9 HAUS, and poured my first cup of java, Doris informs me there is something causing an annoying knocking sound up near the front of the 5er. It was with great triumph I told her I knew what was causing the noise.

Our Monty has a mirrored surface on the cap that aids in aligning the TV when hitching-up the trailer. That morning, and every morning thereafter, a bird that must have fallen in lust with its image was flying into the mirror. It would perch on the TV for a second or two and then fly directly into the mirror, bounce off, and start the behavior all over. It took tape and a trash bag to cover the mirror. Wind and moisture would degrade the sticking power of the tape and each morning I had to re-secure the bag.

At our stick home, there is a Cardinal that does the same thing with the outside rearview mirrors on DD’s car. She has to use plastic newspaper bags to cover her mirrors.

Beyond being comical, the birds left a calling card on the cap and hitch of Monty. Likewise on the doors of DD’s car. Know you know how those bird droppings got there.

Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:59 AM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I once had a male bluebird that would fly into my garage and "fight" his competitor in the window of my truck. I had to keep the doors closed on the garage to keep him out and prevent the mess he could make on the side of my truck. This went on for about a year. Don't know what happened to the bird, maybe he moved on to fight another bird on some other vehicle.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:43 AM   #3
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
Birds love to get into trouble. Our stick house has a wood burning stove and often I will get a starling down the chimney and into the wood stove. I then must move the stove, fireplace plates and mounds of ash to try and capture the creatures. I have been successful a number of times and have released several birds with what appears in bird speak to be thanks before flying away.
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:26 AM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
We've had all that + a hummingbird knock himself out momentarily against our van's tinted window. We had a peacock who would admire himself in our chrome bumpers and in front of the glass storm doors. He'd open up that beautiful plummage and do his little dance.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:37 AM   #5
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
Last season I had a Wood Pecker pecking on the exaust stack of the tow vehicle while we were camping one weekend. Guess he thought it was a tree?
Was an interesting sound and sight!

Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:26 AM   #6
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
There are a couple of other things that can bang and be annoying that we have found. I am sure there are more but... The sewer hose cap that hangs down on it's strap can bang if the wind is right. Sometimes I put our name tag on the front hitch. I also use a tripod. This can also bang into the tripod. Last for this post is the awning strap and oven vent. All minor but sometimes enough to drive you nuts.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote